An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

cmotherofpirl

The death of a young person is always tragic. I don't know enough about it except what the media reports, and I don't consider them unbiased or trustworthy. Everybody has an agenda.

regina_coeli

A child carrying Skittles is dead in his own neighborhood. There should be a real investigation for everyone's peace of mind. Praying!

I am really worried about this getting out of hand. It may take some time. Stirring emotions is not going to make this tragedy not happen, it has happened but it can cause another. Personally, I think that the legal system needs to get this thing right with all the I's dotted and the T's crossed. Orlando can't have another murderer walk because the justice system failed again.

Yeah, this one looks fishy at least on the surface. That guy better present a better reason for shooting this kid than what's being presented on the news or else he's going to jail. There's no way this is going to avoid trial now that the media's all over it.

[url="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-trayvon-martin-20120323,0,6596301.story"]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-trayvon-martin-20120323,0,6596301.story[/url]

Surprised this hasn't appeared yet. I don't like mob justice but I do think that the evidence suggests that the police screwed up and this guy should have been charged with something.

I'm sickened by the fact that the killing of anyone is used as a tool to stir racial hatred. Rev Al Sharpton and many others are using the death of this child to fuel their need to keep stirring the race pot. Shameful and dangerous.

Here in Tampa, it's been heavily covered. Quick synopsis:
Trayvon is a teen that was visiting his dad at a nice gated apartment / condo complex. There had been a rash of burglaries and they had organized a neighborhood watch. Zimmerman was a member of the neighborhood watch and was patrolling the neighborhood. He saw Trayvon, didn't recognize him, and started following him and called in to 911. Trayvon became aware he was being followed and called his girlfriend. Trayvon discussed that he pulled up his hoodie while trying to avoid whomever was following him (Zimmerman). At some point, there was a confrontation and a wrestling fight, Trayvon was shot. Trayvon was unarmed. It was legal for Zimmerman to carry a firearm, and it's legal to shoot if in a confrontation and you believe your safety is in danger, regardless whether the other person is armed.
Sanford police did not/has not charged Zimmerman with a crime, yet. There is discussion (that seems accurate) that Sanford's investigation was lacking. Zimmerman wasn't tested for alchol, the girlfriend wasn't interviewed after the shooting (she came forward days after with statement), phone records for timing of phone calls had not been checked. State of Florida directed our State Department of Law Enforcement (kinda like State FBI) to investigate the matter. A couple of days latter, due to media, the FBI joined the investigation. The Govenor has created a task force to investigate the matter.
Trayvon's family had immediately gone to the press and raised caine from the get-go, calling it a racial shooting. Zimmerman appears to be hispanic, and his family says his mother is hispanic. The complex appears middle class, racially diverse, like most average neighborhoods.
A young person is shot dead, it doesn't appear he was involved in any crime.
Zimmerman doesn't appear to be a complete kook, participating in an established neighborhood watch, and called 911 before the confrontation.

The problem is there are no eye witnesses to the confrontation. What actions and words were said, which party may have escalated the confrontation, if threats were made by either person before the shooting, etc.
We live in a Society of Laws. [b]Both[/b] Trayvon and Zimmerman should be considered innocent until proven guilty. However, the media has helped fan public opinion to the point of hysteria. Rev. Al was here inciting a gathering of hundreds of people. The Sanford police cheif has stepped aside from his job, but they want him charged with a crime. I heard the District Attorney wants to step down because of the publicity surrounding and the Govenor has assigned a special prosecuter, however, this is still being portrayed on the news as a racial incident, Zimmerman should be prosecuted, etc., etc.

In my opinion, I think public outcry against Zimmerman has reached beyond excessive. From what I've read and heard, it seems very possible that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Trayvon, but at what point would it be first or second degree murder, or man-slaughter if Zimmerman is guilty of a crime? I think political pressure is now to prosecute Zimmerman as harshly as possible, no matter what. I fear that the Government will over-step their ability to convict and prove their case and all hell will break loose from people who believe the entire incident was a racial attact by both Zimmerman and society.

Anomaly, I think what this is going to come down to is whether or not police found a weapon on Trayvon. If they didn't Zimmerman is going to have a hard time justifying his use of deadly force when he goes to court, and it's going to look even worse on the Samford Police Department for not charging him right out. My gut tells me that's what this is going to come to.

I understand the suspiscion over the knee-jerk reaction the black community has in claiming this shooting was racial motovatied, and ordinarily I'd be right there myself, but sometimes knee-jerk reactions are proven correct...

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332505933' post='2406001']
-----clipped for brevity-----
In my opinion, I think public outcry against Zimmerman has reached beyond excessive. From what I've read and heard, it seems very possible that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Trayvon, but at what point would it be first or second degree murder, or man-slaughter if Zimmerman is guilty of a crime? I think political pressure is now to prosecute Zimmerman as harshly as possible, no matter what. I fear that the Government will over-step their ability to convict and prove their case and all hell will break loose from people who believe the entire incident was a racial attact by both Zimmerman and society.[/quote]

thanks for posting :)

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332509866' post='2406019']
Anomaly, I think what this is going to come down to is whether or not police found a weapon on Trayvon. If they didn't Zimmerman is going to have a hard time justifying his use of deadly force when he goes to court, and it's going to look even worse on the Samford Police Department for not charging him right out. My gut tells me that's what this is going to come to.

I understand the suspiscion over the knee-jerk reaction the black community has in claiming this shooting was racial motovatied, and ordinarily I'd be right there myself, but sometimes knee-jerk reactions are proven correct...
[/quote]You prove my point about superficial public opinion. In Florida, we have a 'Stand Your Ground' law. It does not require the other person to have a gun before you are allowed to use deadly force. You are allowed to use your gun if you reasonably feel threatened with serious bodily harm. The person has to be advanceing towards you, you cannot advance towards them. There have been a couple of recent cases where the shooter has been convicted of manslaughter or murder when it was demonstrated the shooter advance towards the 'shootee', even though the shootee appeared to commit a crime or right after a confrontation. Trayvon and Zimmerman were involved in a fight according to witnesses who heard a fight.
Reports that Zimmerman used racial slurs during the 911 call appear to be false. I've heard the call a couple of times on the radio and this seems to be a false rumor.
However, although Zimmerman should not have confronted Trayvon, it seems he attempted to. Part of the 911 call also has Zimmerman stating that Trayvon is coming towards him after Zimmerman called out to him.
It's not as cut and dried and superficial as inflammed public opinion is attempting to make it. The last thing anybody needs is knee jerk reactions from large crowds. The media is fanning the flames of controversy because it's getting people to sit in front of the news to listen to the reports and stay for commercials for cars and laundry soap products. Rev. Al is here not for justice, but to get more listeners to his talk shows so Rev. Al can get more $$ for car and laundry cleaner ads.

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332511676' post='2406028']
You prove my point about superficial public opinion. In Florida, we have a 'Stand Your Ground' law. It does not require the other person to have a gun before you are allowed to use deadly force. You are allowed to use your gun if you reasonably feel threatened with serious bodily harm. The person has to be advanceing towards you, you cannot advance towards them.[/quote]
Boy am I glad I don't live in Florida. That's just ridiclous. You can shoot me just because I'm walking towards you, what?

Quite a popular topic here in Tampa.
Agree the police probably screwed up.
Reserve judgement on Zimmerman being charged.
It shouldn't be a matter of mob justice. FDLE, FBI, and a special prosecuter appointed by the Govenor are investigating. Hysterical public opinion is no help at this point, but public outcry was instrumental and useful to get the attention of the Govenor and have these outside parties become infolved.