An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='Mercy me' timestamp='1333513876' post='2412751']
I have read the colonial press. They could be very scathing and actually pretty funny as well. I really love reading old publications when I can get my hands on them.

I know that my post sounds naive as I read it now. But today our press claims impartiality but in reality they are no where near it. This behavior in this case is wrong on so may levels. There are those out there that are trying to incite people, Sharpton et al. When I hear a story and the actions of authorities don't make sense it me as questions and want to know the truth. These people had the raw facts and chose to manipulate them to further incite people.

We have laws against crying fire in a theater. What responsibility would the media have if someone is hurt by people that they have incited? My guess is that they would not be held responsible and that there may have already been people hurt because of their irresponsible behavior.
[/quote]

I don't like Al Sharpton or Lawrence O'Donnell. But they aren't inciting anybody that I have seen. They have been imploring the authorities to arrest Zimmerman. I haven't heard them demand that he be convicted, but merely that he be arrested and go through the justice system. Considering that an unarmed teenager was shot dead by Mr. Zimmerman after Zimmerman followed the teen as he was walking home I don't think that this is a particularly extraordinary demand. Demanding that an individual be arrested and tried is very different from demanding that he be the subjected to vigilantism.

I do agree that they have been responsible. And I also agree that they, at least Sharpton, have ceased being analysts and have become activists.

someone who has been inciting on the other hand, spike lee. that guy is a racist idiot.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1333517268' post='2412763']
someone who has been inciting on the other hand, spike lee. that guy is a racist idiot.
[/quote]

He also insulted Clint Eastwood which, around here in the south anyway, is basically a capital crime.

Edited by Hasan

Clint Eastwood could tear Spike Lee apart with a grunt and a look. he is truly a merciful man to have spared such a lowlife from this destruction.

EagleEye I disagree. Trayvon was innocent in the fact he was walking home. He has no criminal record. Also he was profiled because he was black and in a hoodie. Listen to the 911 tape. I'm not saying zimmerman is racist but its pretty clear he profiled Trayvon.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1333419055' post='2412170']
Well well well. It seems NBC (national barack channel) has been caught doctoring the 911 call to stir up racial tensions....

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/02/nbc-launches-internal-probe-over-edited-11-call-in-trayvon-martin-shooting/"]http://www.foxnews.c...artin-shooting/[/url]

[left]NBC has launched an internal probe after running an edited version of the 911 call from George Zimmerman -- the man who shot and killed Trayvon Martin -- that made Zimmerman sound racist.[/left]

[left][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]NBC's "Today" show ran the edited audio of George Zimmerman's phone call to a police dispatcher in which Zimmerman says: "'This guy looks like he's up to no good … he looks black." [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][background=transparent]But the audio recording in its entirety reveals that Zimmerman did not volunteer the information that Martin was black. Instead, Zimmerman was answering a question from a police dispatcher about the race of the "suspicious person" whom Zimmerman was speaking about.[/background][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][background=transparent]A transcript of the complete 911 call shows that Zimmerman said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about."[/background][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][background=transparent]The 911 officer responded saying, "OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?"[/background][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][background=transparent]"He looks black," Zimmerman said. [/background][/font][/color]

Anyone surprised? really? :hotstuff:[/left]
[/quote]
[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1333540494' post='2412823']
EagleEye I disagree. Trayvon was innocent in the fact he was walking home. He has no criminal record. Also he was profiled because he was black and in a hoodie. Listen to the 911 tape. I'm not saying zimmerman is racist but its pretty clear he profiled Trayvon.
[/quote]

Which version of the 911 tape are you refering to? Did you read the article linked above?

I'm talking about the part where he says he's on drugs and up to no good. This was false and not true. He also says these a**h**** always get away. This was false and not true. Its very debatable but it sounds like he calls Trayvon a fu***** coon. I've heard it over and over and it sounds like it to me. His friend Joe on tv said he said goon. Doesn't sound like goon to me. So these are the things that make it pretty clear he profiled Trayvon in my book. Although I'm not saying he is a racist. You take all that coupled with the fact the investigator didn't believe him and wanted him arrested, plus the fact he didn't listen to the 911 operator and he was charged before with assulting an officer and domestic violence I think its pretty clear he should be arrested and go to trial. We will see what happens. Learning from the past I will reserve my judgment.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1333512909' post='2412745']
It seems that a not-so innocent young person entangled with a [color=#000080][i]not-so innocent [/i][/color]neighborhood [s]defender[/s] [i][color=#000080]cop-wannabe[/color][/i].

Race aside....because there is REALLY NO reason to think this was racially motivated except people of the opposite color were in the same incident. AND THIS IS WHY AMERICA HAS ISSUES....because the media ASSUMES racism before proof.

Anyway, as I said before about race being [s]a non-[/s] [color=#000080][i]the primary [/i][/color]issue.....

The probable incident was someone who was [s]defending[/s] [color=#000080][i]patrolling[/i][/color] his neighborhood...but mistakenly overstepped his role, ended up killing someone who was [s]not so innocent[/s] [color=#000080][i]a stranger to him, [/i][/color][color=#000080][i]but not committing a crime[/i][/color].

However it seems only three people really know what happened. One is dead, the other is one in three persons, and that leaves us the suspect. But I don't see enough evidence to go either way convincingly beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I am sorry someone was shot. [s]But I really don't see a need to do anything[/s]. Of course the liberals will scream about seizing all the guns...........although ironically they should be shouting about arming [s]their youth to protect them against[/s] neighborhood watchers.
[/quote]Fixed it for you.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1333512909' post='2412745']
Race aside....because there is [s]REALLY NO[/s] reason to think this was racially motivated [color=#000080][i](but not conclusive proof)[/i][/color] except people of the opposite color were in the same incident. AND THIS IS WHY AMERICA HAS ISSUES....because the media [color=#000080][i]and some people [/i][/color]ASSUMES racism before proof.
[/quote]Better fix.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1333542096' post='2412832']
Fixed it for you.
[/quote]

That's amazing how thought diarrhea can become a thoughtful and intelligent analysis the the stroke of a pen and a few qualifications.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1333540494' post='2412823']
[/quote]

He was profiled because he looked suspicious. People make such judgments all the time. It's not an inherently bad thing. It is how we survive.

Trayvon was likely guilty of looking sketchy. Is that a crime? No. But it means smart people pay attention to you.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1333541454' post='2412829']
I'm talking about the part where he says he's on drugs and up to no good. This was false and not true. He also says these a**h**** always get away. This was false and not true. Its very debatable but it sounds like he calls Trayvon a fu***** coon. I've heard it over and over and it sounds like it to me. His friend Joe on tv said he said goon. Doesn't sound like goon to me. So these are the things that make it pretty clear he profiled Trayvon in my book. Although I'm not saying he is a racist. You take all that coupled with the fact the investigator didn't believe him and wanted him arrested, plus the fact he didn't listen to the 911 operator and he was charged before with assulting an officer and domestic violence I think its pretty clear he should be arrested and go to trial. We will see what happens. Learning from the past I will reserve my judgment.
[/quote]

Zimmerman was legit in calling 911 and paying attention to Martin because he deemed him to be sketchy.

From listening to the call, it sounds to me like Zimmerman says Martin "looks like he's on drugs and up to no good." He doesn't claim it as a fact.

Zimmerman royally messes up though in not just "standing his ground," but actively pursuing the guy. Proving why he had to pursue Martin will be next to impossible.

His statement on assuming Martin's guilt by saying "they always get away" is no help either.

If Zimmerman said "coon"....we'll that will be fun to defend as well. Although it's hard to tell between "goon." Probably have to give Zimmerman the benefit of the doubt here.

I would conjecture that Zimmerman at the least can be charged with unlawfully moving against someone. I would be interested in hearing why Zimmerman felt like he had to move in. I would think the only just reason for moving in would be to save your life or another immediate person's life, but neither seems to be the case here.

Since Zimmerman did kill Martin, I believe it's up to Zimmerman to prove Martin was a clear and present danger to his life. That will be difficult to prove.

I don't think you can prove Zimmerman was being racist. Merely saying that since their colors were different is not proof. And of course the white guy attacked so it's DEFINITELY racists... :rolleyes: ...although I note that whenever black guys attack white guys, the racist card is never brought up for some reason...:think:

Profiling someone is not bad. If I am walking down a street late at night, and an elderly lady is walking the opposite direction, I am not going to be too worried about getting mugged. If a am walking down a street and I see a young person huddled in their hoodie with something in their arms I can't quite make out, I am going to be quite concerned. This is common sense...

I do think you can prove that Zimmerman wrongfully killed Martin. If Zimmerman can prove Martin ran up to him and attacked him, then Zimmerman is fine....if not...well, then he's responsible.

My understanding of killing in self-defense is that it must be an obvious last resort situation where the other person is a clear threat to your life. This does not seem to be the case with Zimmerman, and he should be able to be prosecuted against for it.

This case logically does nothing against the 2nd amendment and those who want to defend themselves with a firearm. Zimmerman is a case of someone who forces a situation, and thus negates this about being a case about self-defense or stand your ground.

I respect your view Eagle and agree with aspects of it. Another thing though it was only a little past 7 pm. It was being falsely reported it was 3 am for awhile. I think it only being 7 pm makes Zimmerman look a lot worse also.

Edited by Guest

cmotherofpirl

This is what happens when politicians and the news media start a lynch mob mentality: [url="http://shovedtothem.blogspot.com/2012/03/failure-rate.html"]http://shovedtothem.blogspot.com/2012/03/failure-rate.html[/url]

Heard on the news today in Tampa that Zimmerman printed and distributed flyers calling for an investigation amd possible charges of Sanford police officers who were accused of beating a black homeless man a couple of years ago. Doesn't sound like a racist to me. More like a law and order zealot.

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]Here is a link [url="http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/04/zimmerman-demanded-discipline-in-2010-race-related-beating-for-officers-who-investigated-martin-shooting/"]http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/04/zimmerman-demanded-discipline-in-2010-race-related-beating-for-officers-who-investigated-martin-shooting/[/url] that provides a little more information regarding George Zimmerman handing out flyers calling for an investigation into the Sanford police beating of a black homeless man in 2010. This story came to light because Zimmerman's family wrote a letter to the NAACP begging them to lighten up with the claims of racism against George and offered this example of George's positive actions to call for justice for a black victim. By the way, the officer ended up paying for the medical bills of the man he beat.[/sub][/font][/size]