Poor little Tink Tink.

• Church Militant
  • 45,722 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

wow..classy!!!

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Real men wear hats, carry canes, and sit on stone.

• Church Militant
  • 3,998 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Turnabout is fair play. If Group A can ridicule Group B, then Group B can ridicule Group A.

However, that runs contrary to our Christian commitment to live and charity, which puts us at a distinct disadvantage in the public debate.

#4 Brother Adam

Brother Adam

thou art holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.

• Church Scholar
  • 15,351 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Not really. There are still places where civil discourse matters. He's basically asked atheists to shoot themselves in the foot.

#5 Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Twitchy twitcha twitcha twitch

• Church Militant
  • 3,898 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Catholicism - the only religion that is socially acceptable encouraged to mock in public.

At least it's somewhat comforting to know they'd be doing the same thing to Islam...if they weren't so afraid of getting killed for it.

#6 Selah

Selah

Mom

• Chummy Commoner
  • 8,650 posts
  • Eastern Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

That's it. You are officially a self-parody, Richard.

#7 MissyP89

MissyP89

You liberate me from my own noise and my own chaos...<3

• Mediator of Meh
  • 15,249 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Since when have we ever cared about what vitriol Dawkins spews about us? If the world hates you...*shrug*

#8 Hasan

Hasan

I submit to no one.

• Cordial Non-Catholic
  • 7,610 posts
  • None of the above

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Catholicism - the only religion that is socially acceptable encouraged to mock in public.

At least it's somewhat comforting to know they'd be doing the same thing to Islam...if they weren't so afraid of getting killed for it.

He wasn't saying that Catholics should be singled out among religious people for mockery. He was just using Catholicism as an example. He was saying that all religious belief should be mocked in public. And Dawkins has publicly insulted Islam. A quick Google search shows that he called it 'one of the great evils of the world'.

I'm not saying that Dawkins isn't a prick. He is. I'm just saying that it is self-serving to take his comments and pretend that it is uniquely acceptable to mock Catholics in public and that Dawkins advocated this. He didn't. He advocated mocking all religious publicly and just used Catholicism as an example (seemingly) because so many people self-identity as Catholics but don't really believe a lot of the more extraordinary claims of the faith.

Edited by Hasan, 27 March 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#9 AnneLine

AnneLine

Hanging around, looking for God, enjoying the Pham....

• Church Militant
  • 9,359 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Random comments in no special order....

Somebody has forgotten that persecution just makes Christians stronger.

He can say God doesn't exist, but that don't make it so....

All he has done for me is to get me to pray for him. Big time.

If I am a symptom of what he doesn't like, he has a BIG problem... because I think he will get LOTS of people praying for him. Oh, that we all might have such a problem.

#10 CatherineM

CatherineM

New Mom in Training

• Church Scholar
  • 24,452 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

CRAZY DOPE POST, YO!

You mock what you fear, not what you distain. Ignoring us would show much more maturity.

#11 MissyP89

MissyP89

You liberate me from my own noise and my own chaos...<3

• Mediator of Meh
  • 15,249 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm not saying that Dawkins isn't a prick. He is.

Lulz. Coppery posser is a cooler name. ;)

Edited by MissyP89, 27 March 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#12 arfink

arfink

DR OCTAGONAPUS BLAAAA

• Church Militant
  • 6,188 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Dawkins- trolololololing since 1986.

#13 Ice_nine

Ice_nine

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,108 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

so dawkins is a doosh who has crowds of adoring fanboys who are likely dooshes as well?

no news here.

#14 Hasan

Hasan

I submit to no one.

• Cordial Non-Catholic
  • 7,610 posts
  • None of the above

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

You mock what you fear, not what you distain. Ignoring us would show much more maturity.

I think Gore Vidal has the best retort to this.

Ordinarily, as a descendant of the eighteenth-century Enlightenment, which shaped our Republic, I would say live and let liveand I would try not to "scoff" --to use Lincoln's verb-- at the monotheists. But I am not allowed to ignore them. They won't let me. They are too busy. They have a divine mission to take away our rights as private citizens. We are forbidden abortion here,gambling there, same-sex almost everywhere, drugs, alcohol in a dry county. Our prisons are the most terrible and the mostcrowded in the First World. Our death row executions are a source of deep disgust in civilized countries, where more and more we are regarded as a primitive, uneducated and dangerous people. Although we are not allowed, under law, to kill ourselves or to take drugs that good folk think might be bad for us, we are allowed to buy a handgun and shoot as many people as we can get away with.

http://govt.eserver.org/monotheism.txt

Edited by Hasan, 27 March 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#15 J-Roq

J-Roq

Lurker

• n00b
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

As much as I feel so, so bad for those who persecute Catholics, even lightly, I am also very thankful for the chance to be persecuted. It's a wonderful blessing from God to be persecuted--a penance that may take our souls far.

It's important for all of us to happily suffer for Jesus the way He suffered for us. Fighting back may be appropriate at times for the sake of evangelism, but if it could potentially misrepresent the message of Our Lord or lead people to sin, it is probably not being done for the sake of evangelism, and we should strongly rethink it.

Edited by J-Roq, 27 March 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#16 Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

• n00b
  • 18,616 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Make fun of people and they will agree with you and think you're amesome! Clever. With spokesmen like that it's no wonder atheism is so respected in our society.

http://thesocietypag...of-religiosity/

P.S. Not saying that prejudice against atheists is justified by any means, just saying that Dawkins is comically undiplomatic and the old ridicule strategy may not be wise.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum, 27 March 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#17 Hasan

Hasan

I submit to no one.

• Cordial Non-Catholic
  • 7,610 posts
  • None of the above

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Make fun of people and they will agree with you and think you're amesome! Clever. With spokesmen like that it's no wonder atheism is so respected in our society.

http://thesocietypag...of-religiosity/

P.S. Not saying that prejudice against atheists is justified by any means, just saying that Dawkins is comically undiplomatic and the old ridicule strategy may not be wise.

That was an interesting read.

#18 the171

the171

Behold, your queen

• Church Militant
  • 3,294 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

THIS IS amesome!! We are getting PERSECUTED!! No sarcasm! I'm seriously pumped. "BRING OUT THE RACK!!" Ourfaith is being shaken and now is when we cling on to what we know to be truth. Do not stand afraid, embrace the challenge as if it was a cross. This is our cross. Onward soldiers!! Into the battlefield! Onward Church militant!

#19 the171

the171

Behold, your queen

• Church Militant
  • 3,294 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

My lack of sleep is seriously catching up with me. That post seemed a bit... Je ne sais quoi....

#20 Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Twitchy twitcha twitcha twitch

• Church Militant
  • 3,898 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

He wasn't saying that Catholics should be singled out among religious people for mockery. He was just using Catholicism as an example. He was saying that all religious belief should be mocked in public. And Dawkins has publicly insulted Islam. A quick Google search shows that he called it 'one of the great evils of the world'.

I'm not saying that Dawkins isn't a prick. He is. I'm just saying that it is self-serving to take his comments and pretend that it is uniquely acceptable to mock Catholics in public and that Dawkins advocated this. He didn't. He advocated mocking all religious publicly and just used Catholicism as an example (seemingly) because so many people self-identity as Catholics but don't really believe a lot of the more extraordinary claims of the faith.

I'm sure you're probably right about Dawkins, here.

I just meant that in general, it's much more socially acceptable to mock Catholics (and other Christians, for that matter) than other religions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users