An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dawkins Calls For The Mockery Of Catholics In Public

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/dawkins-calls-for-mockery-of-catholics-at-reason-rally/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news"]http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/dawkins-calls-for-mockery-of-catholics-at-reason-rally/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news[/url]

Turnabout is fair play. If Group A can ridicule Group B, then Group B can ridicule Group A.

However, that runs contrary to our Christian commitment to live and charity, which puts us at a distinct disadvantage in the public debate.

Brother Adam

Not really. There are still places where civil discourse matters. He's basically asked atheists to shoot themselves in the foot.

Basilisa Marie

Catholicism - the only religion that is socially [s]acceptable [/s]encouraged to mock in public.

At least it's somewhat comforting to know they'd be doing the same thing to Islam...if they weren't so afraid of getting killed for it.

Since when have we ever cared about what vitriol Dawkins spews about us? If the world hates you...*shrug*

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1332860324' post='2409150']
Catholicism - the only religion that is socially [s]acceptable [/s]encouraged to mock in public.

At least it's somewhat comforting to know they'd be doing the same thing to Islam...if they weren't so afraid of getting killed for it.
[/quote]

He wasn't saying that Catholics should be singled out among religious people for mockery. He was just using Catholicism as an example. He was saying that all religious belief should be mocked in public. And Dawkins has publicly insulted Islam. A quick Google search shows that he called it 'one of the great evils of the world'.

I'm not saying that Dawkins isn't a prick. He is. I'm just saying that it is self-serving to take his comments and pretend that it is uniquely acceptable to mock Catholics in public and that Dawkins advocated this. He didn't. He advocated mocking all religious publicly and just used Catholicism as an example (seemingly) because so many people self-identity as Catholics but don't really believe a lot of the more extraordinary claims of the faith.

Edited by Hasan

Random comments in no special order....

Somebody has forgotten that persecution just makes Christians stronger.

He can say God doesn't exist, but that don't make it so....

All he has done for me is to get me to pray for him. Big time.

If I am a symptom of what he doesn't like, he has a BIG problem... because I think he will get LOTS of people praying for him. Oh, that we all might have such a problem.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1332874801' post='2409267']
I'm not saying that Dawkins isn't a prick. He is.[/quote]

Lulz. Coppery posser is a cooler name. ;)

Edited by MissyP89

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1332884603' post='2409345']
You mock what you fear, not what you distain. Ignoring us would show much more maturity.
[/quote]

I think Gore Vidal has the best retort to this.

[i]Ordi[/i][i]narily, as a descendant of the eighteenth-century Enlighten[/i][i]ment, which shaped our Republic, I would say live and let live[/i][i]and I would try not to "scoff" --to use Lincoln's verb-- at the [/i][i]monotheists. [b]But I am not allowed to ignore them. They won't let [/b][/i][i][b]me. They are too busy.[/b] They have a divine mission to take away [/i][i]our rights as private citizens. We are forbidden abortion here,[/i][i]gambling there, same-sex almost everywhere, drugs, alcohol in a [/i][i]dry county. Our prisons are the most terrible and the most[/i][i]crowded in the First World. Our death row executions are a [/i][i]source of deep disgust in civilized countries, where more and [/i][i]more we are regarded as a primitive, uneducated and dangerous [/i][i]people. Although we are not allowed, under law, to kill [/i][i]ourselves or to take drugs that good folk think might be bad for [/i][i]us, we are allowed to buy a handgun and shoot as many people as [/i][i]we can get away with.[/i]

[url="http://govt.eserver.org/monotheism.txt"]http://govt.eserver.org/monotheism.txt[/url]

Edited by Hasan

As much as I feel so, so bad for those who persecute Catholics, even lightly, I am also very thankful for the chance to be persecuted. It's a wonderful blessing from God to be persecuted--a penance that may take our souls far.

It's important for all of us to happily suffer for Jesus the way He suffered for us. Fighting back may be appropriate at times for the sake of evangelism, but if it could potentially misrepresent the message of Our Lord or lead people to sin, it is probably not being done for the sake of evangelism, and we should strongly rethink it.

Edited by J-Roq