An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dawkins Calls For The Mockery Of Catholics In Public

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1333023376' post='2409989']
Because ethics based on reason and observation is blasphamey and shouldn't be done if it could.
[/quote]

You sure do like to make wrong assumptions and put words in people's mouths, don't you?

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1333138929' post='2410779']

You sure do like to make wrong assumptions and put words in people's mouths, don't you?
[/quote]i like to think I don't, but I'm a sucker for easy sarcasm. It's one of my five or six faults.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

"All past persecutors of the Church are now no more, but the Church still lives on. The same fate awaits modern persecutors; they, too, will pass on, but the Church of Jesus Christ will always remain, for God has pledged His Word to protect Her and be with Her forever, until the end of time."
- Don Bosco

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333138760' post='2410777']
so he is disturbing because he says that as a fetus lacks the ability to conceptualize its own existance and there has no ability to desire existance over non existance he is disturbing, but you contention that masturbation merit unending torture is sublime and transcendent.
[/quote]

You really shouldn't post when you're drinking.

Laudate_Dominum

Evolutionary biology, lack of religious beliefs, and progressive values do to necessitate a pro-abortion ethical stance. There are many strictly ethical viewpoints (i.e., non-religious philosophical ethics; not moral theology) which are more or less logically consistent and incompatible with abortion and other life issues - or at least compatible with a pro-life view. Many ethicists who happen to be atheists profoundly disagree with Singer.

Dawkins is no more an ethicist than was his friend the late Christopher Hitchens, so I'll use him as a suitable example. Hitchens has stated his opposition to abortion on purely secular grounds, saying that a pro-life position is more consistent with the values of the Enlightenment.

That atheism and secularism equal support for abortion is just the current politically correct orthodoxy within those subcultures, in my arrogant opinion. I think it's possible that future liberals and progressives will be disgraced by some of the agendas of our age (I hope so anyway). Also, I'm inclined to think that the "[i]pro-life views are necessarily religious and faith-based[/i]" meme is largely framing and stereotyping. Thoughtful people should know better.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1333166280' post='2410959']
Evolutionary biology, lack of religious beliefs, and progressive values do to necessitate a pro-abortion ethical stance. There are many strictly ethical viewpoints (i.e., non-religious philosophical ethics; not moral theology) which are more or less logically consistent and incompatible with abortion and other life issues - or at least compatible with a pro-life view. Many ethicists who happen to be atheists profoundly disagree with Singer.

Dawkins is no more an ethicist than was his friend the late Christopher Hitchens, so I'll use him as a suitable example. Hitchens has stated his opposition to abortion on purely secular grounds, saying that a pro-life position is more consistent with the values of the Enlightenment.

That atheism and secularism equal support for abortion is just the current politically correct orthodoxy within those subcultures, in my arrogant opinion. I think it's possible that future liberals and progressives will be disgraced by some of the agendas of our age (I hope so anyway). Also, I'm inclined to think that the "[i]pro-life views are necessarily religious and faith-based[/i]" meme is largely framing and stereotyping. Thoughtful people should know better.
[/quote]Exactly!

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1333138839' post='2410778']
I think your account was hacked by a lesser typist.
[/quote]

Dimly lit itouch screen :cry:

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333342584' post='2411745']
Dimly lit itouch screen :cry:
[/quote]
No excuses.

Did Dawkins really need to say this? I thought it was already understood that they mock us in public...as well as in the news, newspaper, magazines, TV, movies, etc, etc, etc.......

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1333369447' post='2411775']
Did Dawkins really need to say this? I thought it was already understood that they mock us in public...as well as in the news, newspaper, magazines, TV, movies, etc, etc, etc.......
[/quote]
I think he was talking to the atheists that people still like. He won't be happy until every atheist is marginalized due to extreme chapeau'ing the butt.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1333371152' post='2411783']
I think he was talking to the atheists that people still like. He won't be happy until every atheist is marginalized due to extreme chapeau'ing the butt.
[/quote]

I don't know of this chapeau'ing, but I love atheists. They are very entertaining.

Atheist don't play by the rules and that is what makes them dangerous. when the rest of society is being respectful and honorable, they are out there being ridiculous and obnoxious. I don't think there is much we can do except to pray and understand that they are immature. They really don't care about others because they are completely self absorbed. I don't see how except by Gods grace they can be saved. I think that they represent evil on earth and we, as representatives of the truth have to suffer for all the souls in purgatory and on earth. I have never been able to get through to an atheist. I think it may be a lost cause to try so that is why prayer is their only hope.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333378136' post='2411827']
Atheist don't play by the rules and that is what makes them dangerous. when the rest of society is being respectful and honorable, they are out there being ridiculous and obnoxious. I don't think there is much we can do except to pray and understand that they are immature. They really don't care about others because they are completely self absorbed. I don't see how except by Gods grace they can be saved. I think that they represent evil on earth and we, as representatives of the truth have to suffer for all the souls in purgatory and on earth. I have never been able to get through to an atheist. I think it may be a lost cause to try so that is why prayer is their only hope.
[/quote]

Have you read much Church history? Atheists aren't the only ones who don't play the rules.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333378136' post='2411827']
[/quote]Annie12,
Sterotypes are convenient shorthand for discussions and making generalizations. It gets tiresome to explain who or what you're taking about in legalistic detail. Being commited to or beleiving stereotypes as being 'true' is fundamentally unreasonable and I don't think is indicative of a Christian ethos. Some Catholics may believe they'll sell their house if they bury a St. Joeseph statue in their yard. I don't then conclude all Catholics are superstious or that there isn't some reasonable theological idea behind the practice. It does make me chuckle, though.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1333379449' post='2411832']
Annie12,
Sterotypes are convenient shorthand for discussions and making generalizations. It gets tiresome to explain who or what you're taking about in legalistic detail. Being commited to or beleiving stereotypes as being 'true' is fundamentally unreasonable and I don't think is indicative of a Christian ethos. Some Catholics may believe they'll sell their house if they bury a St. Joeseph statue in their yard. I don't then conclude all Catholics are superstious or that there isn't some reasonable theological idea behind the practice. It does make me chuckle, though.
[/quote]

I said what I said and I don't think it unreasonable, and furthermore anyone who hates the church by way of hate speech (speech that hates) is an agent of evil and while I do realize you are not catholic, I think anyone on the side of God can see how obnoxious that guy was. I must also remind you that people were cheering for what he said which support my generalization. Atheists believe in no God which leads to self absorption and a hatred of the belief in God. So, I do not take back my comments and I think people should start thinking about this from a religious perspective. If people are offended, they are only offended by the truth. I can also predict that you will have a problem with this post and continue to tell me I am unreasonable but that would only prove my point even further that without the truth people are lost.