An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

homeschoolmom

582272_455923644469482_569248440_n.jpg

How am I to play my 78s on that thing??

And I always wondered about 16. My record player had 16, too, but I've never seen a record that plays that slowly. (We just used it to slow down Alvin and the Chipmunks... and to make anyone else sound funny...)

Okay... well... just did a little searching. Apparently 16 was for spoken word disks so that the listener (primarily the blind) wouldn't have to change disks as often. (I suppose listening to a book on record would be a drag if you had to change the disk every 20-30 minutes, like an LP)

How am I to play my 78s on that thing??

And I always wondered about 16. My record player had 16, too, but I've never seen a record that plays that slowly. (We just used it to slow down Alvin and the Chipmunks... and to make anyone else sound funny...)

Okay... well... just did a little searching. Apparently 16 was for spoken word disks so that the listener (primarily the blind) wouldn't have to change disks as often. (I suppose listening to a book on record would be a drag if you had to change the disk every 20-30 minutes, like an LP)

16 would move slower, longer play per record.

homeschoolmom

Yeah... but I never actually saw any of these records... As a kid it was just sort of a mystery why the 16 rpm function even exisited. That was back in the day when, if you didn't know something, you just forgot about it. Unlike today when you get this weird compulsion to google everything.

homeschoolmom

Things that came home with me from Mom's today:

7329355154_14637a2b88_z.jpg I may have posted this before, but it didn't actually come home until today.

My pink leg warmers:

d43471d38e535f2bc5f45f166dfc521d_best.jp

My Cabbage Patch Doll, which looks almost exactly like this (different shirt).

il_fullxfull.381143460_5p6b.jpg

3710.JPG

And my bike, which sorta looks like this. It was my brother's, but my dad and I repainted it and put new oilcloth on the banana seat (and added a basket). It's in very sad shape now, though. :sad2:

homeschoolmom

I bought a set of the little tumblers in the 90s-- exactly the same. The green one got a crack in it. My three kids use the remaining three as bathroom cups.

My mom got some of the original pale colored ones in the 1950s!    I remember them well!

I also remember when all the cups disappeared!   She asked me, I didn't know what had happened to them.

Then she asked my dad.  He looked really embarassed and said he'd tried a housekeeping trick that one of the ladies he sold a house had told him about.... putting the dishes into the oven on low to dry.  (We didn't have a dishwasher)

Apparently the Tupperware didn't respond well to the idea.    (My dad must have thought a lot like ARFink... heat up EVERYTHING!!!)

My mom never quite forgave him... missed all those cups!

Tupperware-Plastic-Burps7feb04.jpg

Things that came home with me from Mom's today:

7329355154_14637a2b88_z.jpg I may have posted this before, but it didn't actually come home until today.

My pink leg warmers:

d43471d38e535f2bc5f45f166dfc521d_best.jp

My Cabbage Patch Doll, which looks almost exactly like this (different shirt).

il_fullxfull.381143460_5p6b.jpg

3710.JPG

And my bike, which sorta looks like this. It was my brother's, but my dad and I repainted it and put new oilcloth on the banana seat (and added a basket). It's in very sad shape now, though. :sad2:

Love the banana seat and the popcorn bowl is razzle dazzle.