An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

homeschoolmom

Oh! We did find something really cool.

My mom has a collection of antique books, which I now have. But there was one book in the closet that I'd never seen before:

991555_1.jpg?v=8C658C99E843A70

It's in fantastic condition. It is too big to be with the rest of the books, so it got put in the closet for all these years. According to the inscription on the flyleaf, it was a Christmas gift to someone (I have no idea who it is) in 1877.

"Merry Christmas-- It's Inferno!!!" (Okay, it doesn't actually say that!)

My daughter is reading the Divine Comedy for school, and she grabbed it up right away-- pretty much the only thing that's come into the house that she's been interested in. I told her she should show it to her teacher. She looked at me like I was nuts.

O my goodness, all of those THINGS!!!!!   And me propless!!!!!

HSMom, yes, all those are inanimate...but the memories aren't.  And the loss is real.  The change is more than real. I'm really glad if this thread is helping you to process some of this.. .and to have some fun with some of it!

When I cleaned out my mother's place, after her death

Well.... there was a lot of stuff like this ^^^ and a lot of ... well... stuff that was harder to deal with.   The entire closet filled with empty booze bottles.  (Of course I knew she drank... of course... but she'd been too weak to take them out the last months, I guess, and didn't want to admit it to me (as if I didn't know...) but decided t hide them.  For me to find.... .... but it was, uh, a revelation!    

That and about a year of newspapers behind every couch and chair!   

I had to open and go through every single box and bag, because I knew she had some valuables and jewelry, and no clue where they might be.  We did find those... and something else that I cherish and will dig up and post a little later.

Holding you in prayer as you go through all of this with her.   And hopefully you both are having a few laughs a well as tough moments.

Not THE item (referenced above) but did find this when I went thru my mom's stuff... and still have it!

1st-Magic-of-Oz.jpg

http://www.armchairinterviews.com/reviews/the_magic_of_oz

Reviewed by Andrea Sisco

"The Magic of Oz is the thirteenth book in the Oz series by L. Frank Baum. It is a bit darker than those I've read, but oh so exciting! And I love it!

Trouble never seems to leave Oz for good. The young Kiki Aru learned by saying the magical word "pyrzqxgle," that he could transform himself and anyone else into whatever he wants. And the evil Nome King recruits Kiki Aru to wreck his personal havoc on Princess Ozma and her friends.

Dorothy, the Wizard, the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger search for a special gift for Ozma's birthday. In the forest, they come face to face with the wicked Nome King's plans. It is up to Dorothy to stop the evil. Will she be able to complete her important task?"

Edited by AnneLine

homeschoolmom

Okay.... I've been meaning to post this one for a long time, but I kept forgetting.

Did you guys have a Pop Shoppe? It was a store that sold their brand of pop in like a thousand different flavors-- pineapple, grape, root beer, etc. You'd go in, grab a cart and a bottle rack and start picking out bottles to fill it up. When the bottles were empty, you bring them back to get your deposit back, and get a new rack. Our basement fridge was full of these little bottles of pop. Buy the end of the 70s, they were pretty much gone, and I was sad. :( I was thinking about them a few weeks ago, but only did a little background research on them today. They were a Canadian company, so maybe they didn't exist in other parts of the country. But they're making a comeback!!! There are several places to buy them in Northern MN, so I'm going to have to make a road trip this summer (I wonder if I still have to return the empties???) Anyway, here's the picture:

popshoppegroup.jpg

homeschoolmom

No. Never heard of Pop Shoppe soda.

That is very unfortunate. It was wonderful.

3693_402990163096164_1161348330_n.jpg

Alice never once used the bbq pit that's right next to the ovens. You'd think with all of the meat they were buying from Sam the Butcher, they could toss a chicken on the spit once in awhile.