An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantillas?

LaPetiteSoeur

MissScripture

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1335801363' post='2425197']
She finally did after a while of me talking about some threads with her, [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/user/14272-papistwyf/"]http://www.phatmass....4272-papistwyf/[/url]

I know she'd love and would be a good addition to the raising small humans phorum.
[/quote]
You should help her out more around the house so she has more time to be on here. :harhar:

LaPetiteSoeur

New question: what length is the best? I'm so new to mantillas I have NO idea what type to get and which are the best.

when i had short hair, having a super long (like past my shoulders) head covering looked kinda weird. :unsure:

Maximilianus

Don't hold back! Go all out, be epic

[img]http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/files/2012/04/Mantilla.jpg[/img]

LaPetiteSoeur

Just ordered one. Thanks everyone for all of the help!

CatherineM

I have two. A white and gold number I wear most often, including my wedding, and a black and silver model I wear on buses in Mexico. You're less likely to get groped on a bus if they think you're a widow.

My grandma sent me a whole suitcase full of old clothes when I was 16 and it included a handful of mantillas! I used some of them to put lace accents on some dresses I made, but I have two left over... I didn't know what they were until a few years ago. Happy I saved them!

LaPetiteSoeur

I got a black one because it matches my hair (I"m a dark brunette), and it won't be terribly distracting to anyone else!

It's also very pretty, and I hope it comes in soon! (it said 3-6 days, so either Friday or Monday it should be here!)

If I can say....I think it is a beautiful thing when a woman wears a veil. The reverence seems to make her glow.

[img]http://www.promultismedia.net/images/reverence.jpg[/img]

Not that if you don't wear one that you are not reverent.

beatitude

I have a beautiful Spanish lace mantilla, but I feel uncomfortable wearing it now. People seem to judge me negatively when I have it on. Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it, and this makes it near-impossible for them to get to know me properly. So for the past few months I've just been flipping up the hood on my sweatshirt when I'm in church.

Archaeology cat

I got a compliment when I was wearing my headscarf. I usually tie it around a bun. It's brown, and I'm a brunette, so it works nicely. I've also taken to wearing a snood at times.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1335968107' post='2426054']
I got a compliment when I was wearing my headscarf. I usually tie it around a bun. It's brown, and I'm a brunette, so it works nicely. I've also taken to wearing a snood at times.
[/quote]

My wife uses a brown one too. It makes her "stick out" less, which I think she prefers.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050']
I have a beautiful Spanish lace mantilla, but I feel uncomfortable wearing it now. People seem to judge me negatively when I have it on. Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it, and this makes it near-impossible for them to get to know me properly. So for the past few months I've just been flipping up the hood on my sweatshirt when I'm in church.
[/quote]

I am sorry you feel uncomfortable. I am sure most women for the first couple of times felt uncomfortable for the same reason. I encourage you to fight through that feeling. I think you'll be surprised how many people do see it as beautiful. And who knows, you might inspire others to wear one, or at least to think about it. God bless you!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050']
[/quote]
I completely understand. That's why I got a black one, and I won't wear it all the time (at least not yet...). When I go overseas, it will be interesting to see how many other women wear veils, although since I"m not going to Spain I don't think I'll see the really long ones!