An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantillas?

LaPetiteSoeur

homeschoolmom

[quote name='inunionwithrome' timestamp='1336407959' post='2428106']
I sometimes still fight through feeling uncomfortable. However, the mantilla is not about what others think. It is about glorifying Jesus with an outward sign and helping us to keep our focus on Him. I have both a white and a black one. From my understanding, the white is for those who are single and unmarried. It also symbolizes purity. All of the girls on their First Holy Communion wear a white veil symbolizing purity. [b]It is also my understanding that you MUST wear a black veil in the presence of the Pope!! I don't know why, but only a few ladies have been granted the priviledge of wearing a white one in the Pope's presence.[/b] I have also noted that on a few Sunday's where I forgot my veil, I did not concentrate well. I also wear the black one for Reconciliation and during Lent. Perhaps, Advent this year too as they are both Liturgical times of purifying our hearts before God. I wore the white again when Easter came! So, it is a personal devotion. The guy you were talking about probably does this because no woman went into a church without covering her head. Even our Jewish ancestors had head coverings and the men and the women were seperated by some form of a wall from my understanding. Check out a Zenit Article on ETWN for further information. It is by Fr. McNamara I believe. Hope this helps!
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privil%C3%A8ge_du_blanc"]Privilege du blanc[/url] It's not really required to wear black and/or a veil "in the pope's presence" (otherwise all the girls at WYD would be in black, right?), but rather when having an[i] audience [/i]with the pope at the Vatican. The link explains who is given the privilage of wearing white. ;)

ETA: [url="http://mantillawithme.blogspot.com/2010/09/politicos-and-pope-wearing-mantilla-in.html"]This is another interesting link[/url]

Clare~Therese

It's so easy to get off topic on Phatmass, lol.

Last week I got my first mantilla ever. It's white. I've worn it to Mass once so far but nobody said anything at all. Nothing positive, nothing negative. Just nothing. I like it that way.

I forgot to mention, I got it from a little Catholic store in my area.

Edited by Clare~Therese

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1335787573' post='2425146']
I'm *hoping* to make my own mantilla :) Etsy, veilsbylily and RosaMystica Mantillas all have pretty, relatively affordable things.

By all means, check out Garlands of Grace, but just as a note of intormation: in the past they've publicly professed anti-Catholicism. I was considering them myself, but was turned away when I discovered what they had said about Catholics. Quite unfortunate, really, as a lot of their stuff is lovely. Just be discerning :)
[/quote]

Good to know! I just checked their FB page and saw what they wrote. It really is a shame, but I am glad I know now because I was considering purchasing one of their headbands. I will find somewhere else to conduct business. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1335837581' post='2425477']
Just ordered one. Thanks everyone for all of the help!
[/quote]

My very first mantilla was purchased at an antique shop of all places. I saw the lacy thing draped on a hook and I took it off. When I opened it up, I realized it was triangular shaped. I was rather yellowed, but I bought it for $8. I took it home and soaked it in Ecover Delicate Wash overnight and hung it out to dry. It is a beautiful cream color now and is my most favorite mantilla because it stays on without needing a pin (because of the heavy lace detail).

I purchased another mantilla on eBay for $16 but I hardly wear it since it is so gauzy. I always have to wear a bobby pin with it because it will fall off with the slightest movement. I've considered sewing a comb into the mantilla from underneath, but I'm worried about ruining it since it is so delicate. :unsure:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341382951' post='2452260']
Good to know! I just checked their FB page and saw what they wrote. It really is a shame, but I am glad I know now because I was considering purchasing one of their headbands. I will find somewhere else to conduct business. :)
[/quote]
how did i miss this? :( so sad, considering this is where i bought mine from.

here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=370182153012252&id=117793814917755

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341275827' post='2451700']
But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear? Nope.
[/quote]
FP, what do you mean we don't get cool headgear? Biretta for the win! :like3:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oWsATa7Ld7U/T_XIDyY2p7I/AAAAAAAACjs/UnILy5Q25HU/s240/images.jpg[/img]