An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ave's Countdown And Musings

AveMariaPurissima

TheresaThoma

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1336778865' post='2429918']
Would anyone be interested in seeing my "list"?
[/quote]
I always love to see the "lists"!

OnlySunshine

Oooooo! I vote "heck yes" on the list! I love reading what people need to bring. It's so unusual sometimes what added stuff you need to bring. :)

AveMariaPurissima

By popular demand ;), here's the list:

-4 volume Liturgy of the Hours in English, Spanish, and Latin. (Sister told me not to worry to much if I can't find the Latin, since the Sisters have some extras)
-Black shoes
-Black sandals
-Black knee socks (3 pairs lightweight for summer; 3 pairs heavyweight for winter)
-6 pairs underwear
-6 bras
-Black cardigan sweater with buttons
-Sleeping bag
-Pillow and pillow case
-2 sets of white sheets
-2 beige blankets
-6 bath towels
-6 hand towels
-Black winter jacket
-3 sets of thermal underwear
-10 meters white cotton to make nightgown
-Bible
-Braces and glasses, if needed

This is what Sister told me over the phone. She also e-mailed me a copy of the list in Spanish which additionally mentions:
-6 meters black wool (to make cape)
-"10 metros de lino panamá blanco" (I'm not sure exactly what that means, so if someone who knows more Spanish than I do can help...)

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1336943928' post='2430274']
-"10 metros de lino panamá blanco" (I'm not sure exactly what that means, so if someone who knows more Spanish than I do can help...)
[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] that means 10 metres of white linen.

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1336944650' post='2430278']
I [i]think[/i] that means 10 metres of white linen.
[/quote]
That sounds like it's on the right track. It's basically the word "panamá" that's confusing me. All I can figure out is that it means "Panama" like the country, but what does that have to do with fabric?

Here's a couple pictures from the monastery in Michigan:
[img]http://www.trinitariansofmary.org/images/Roots/Michigan/Lake.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.trinitariansofmary.org/images/Welcome/Welcome_02.jpg[/img]

Edited to delete unnecesary article and to add the pictures, then edited again to add the reasons why I edited!

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1336947168' post='2430284']
That sounds like it's on the right track. It's basically the word "panamá" that's confusing me. All I can figure out is that it means "Panama" like the country, but what does that have to do with fabric?
[/quote]

Maybe it's a specific kind of linen?

maximillion

Maybe the panama bit is like the Alencon in 'Alencon lace'.....? It could be this type of linen was originally, back in the mists of time, made in panama? Or maybe I am just wittering on here, because it is not something I ever heard of.

It may not have a specific meaning, but then maybe you need to ask.

10 metres of fabric for a nightgown - that is one heck of a lot of fabric for a nightgown! Or maybe its to make several.

So the postulants have a 'habit'? Do you know what it looks like, are there any picys?

That 's some list. !! How will you manage to carry it all ? .
The Monastery grounds look absolutely beautiful.

Mary's Margaret

from TextileGlossary.com: Panama Linen is...[background=rgb(241, 241, 248)]
A plain weave fabric traditionally of cotton or wool. Used for summer suitings and dresses.[/background][background=rgb(241, 241, 248)]
Perhaps it's what they use for their veils?...'though with the length of the veil, that might be a bit heavy.[/background]
[background=rgb(241, 241, 248)]
What puzzled me was the need for 6 bath towels!?[/background]

maximillion

When I entered some of the items were put into storage for use later, this included some of the linens and towels.

Found a link that describes 'panama linen' -- and has some pictures! It's an interior decorating company, but still... swatches are swatches!

[url="http://dlcouch.com/products-colorways.aspx?designId=1901"]http://dlcouch.com/products-colorways.aspx?designId=1901[/url]

My bet is that it could be for the coif (or whatever they call it) and/or for what many communities wear under their habits -- kind of like a long-sleeved nightgown. My bet is if you can get 2 nightgowns out of 10 yards of cotton, you could get two of those out of 10 yards of panama linen!

That seems to be a very sensible list! I'm surprised no sewing box, sewing supplies or simliar things.

If I were you, I'd get a specific answer to which 'brand' of Liturgy of the Hours they want you to get so you will have the same page numbers as everyone else..... Probably the Catholic Book Publishing Company one, but I'd check.....

AveMariaPurissima

I [i]so[/i] have to email or call the Sisters....Looking at the list just gives me more questions. Thanks everyone, though, for your input!
Maximillion: Here's the best picture I can find of what the aspirants and postulants wear:
[img]http://uniradioserver.com/userfiles/images/Monasterio_Monte_Tabor_001.jpg[/img] The three on the front right, with the blue jumpers and white blouses, are aspirants. The one on the far right, with the same outfit plus a blue veil, is a postulant.

Edited by AveMariaPurissima