An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ave's Countdown And Musings

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1337076526' post='2430819']
Or maybe they wear them on solemn occasions, the way the Sisters of Ephesus wear their blue and red veils when in choir?

Do you know Ave? We're curious!
[/quote]
The professed Sisters wear the long veils all the time! Somehow they manage to not get them caught in everything. When they're working, though, they wear aprons that pretty much hold the veil in place, so that probably helps make it less of an issue.

Thank you, Ave! They truly are beautiful... just maybe not too practical in a high wind. Perhaps that is why Our Lady has not appeared in Chicago... .nor anywhere near me. She'd be blown off the mountain near my home!

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1337100603' post='2430914']
Ave,. where will you spend your postulancy and novitiate? In the US or Mexico? Do you have be fluent in Spanish to enter?
[/quote]
I'm not yet sure whether I'll be entering in the US or in Mexico. Personally, I think it would be easier (especially for my parents) if I could enter in Michigan, but I would like to go to Tecate. May God's will be done!
No, you do not have to be fluent in Spanish to enter. One of the Sisters (Sr. Inés, who was mentioned in the article I linked to above) didn't know any Spanish when she entered, but now she's completely fluent. Basically, if you don't know Spanish when you enter, you end up learning by immersion. I've taken two years of highschool Spanish, though, in an effort to get a jumpstart on the immersion. ;)

TheresaThoma

I just noticed in the picture you posted of the novice how lightweight the fabric her veil is made out of. It's almost see through. If the professed sister's veils are made out of the same material they can't be too heavy.

maximillion

[quote][color=#A4A4A4]Posted [/color]Today, 07:16 PM
[color=#282828]I just noticed in the picture you posted of the novice how lightweight the fabric her veil is made out of. It's almost see through. If the professed sister's veils are made out of the same material they can't be too heavy. [/color] [/quote]

Took the words out of my mouth. Looks almost muslin like.

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1337214781' post='2431501']
I'm not yet sure whether I'll be entering in the US or in Mexico. Personally, I think it would be easier (especially for my parents) if I could enter in Michigan, but I would like to go to Tecate. May God's will be done!
No, you do not have to be fluent in Spanish to enter. One of the Sisters (Sr. Inés, who was mentioned in the article I linked to above) didn't know any Spanish when she entered, but now she's completely fluent. Basically, if you don't know Spanish when you enter, you end up learning by immersion. I've taken two years of highschool Spanish, though, in an effort to get a jumpstart on the immersion. ;)
[/quote]
I should add, too, that many of the Sisters are fluent in English, and most know at least some.

TheresaThoma

I find it funny that things that would be rather mundane purchases (towels, socks etc) become very exciting when they are part of a trousseau.
Did you get any further clarification about the "Panama Linen"?

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1337493614' post='2432886']
I find it funny that things that would be rather mundane purchases (towels, socks etc) become very exciting when they are part of a trousseau.
Did you get any further clarification about the "Panama Linen"?
[/quote]
It's along the same lines as how even mundane chores are somehow joyful and fun when I'm doing them with my Sisters! :hehe2:

No, I haven't asked about the Panama Linen. I'll try to be in touch with them soon.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

So is it normal/okay to from time to time feel a bit apprehensive, rather than excited, about entering? Even when I feel sort of "blah" about it, deep down I still feel that this is the right decision.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1337808154' post='2434089']
So is it normal/okay to from time to time feel a bit apprehensive, rather than excited, about entering? Even when I feel sort of "blah" about it, deep down I still feel that this is the right decision.
[/quote]

I think it is absolutely normal to feel nervous and scared. Some women get cold feet on their wedding day. It's because it's a huge change in your life! Change can make us uneasy, but, ultimately, we know that change can be the best thing ever -- especially when you are becoming a part of a religious community!!!

mantellata

It's a big change -- it makes sense to me that you might be apprehensive as well as excited! Just hold tight to Jesus and keep straight on course!

IamMyBeloveds

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1337808154' post='2434089']
[/quote]

I'm right there with you. I'm very nervous! At peace, yes, but nervous! It's a big change, it's hard, and we're taking up our cross to follow Him. Someone told me today, "If it were easy, there would be a good chance that we're making the wrong move. The Devil does NOT want you there and will do whatever it takes to make you swerve off course."
If you're feeling "blah", hang in there, keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, Our Future Spouse. All our answers to the questions we have deep down are found in Him :)