An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youngest Orders?

Annie12

Blessed&Grateful

what do you mean by youngest? foundation started, age of entrants/sisters/nuns?

OnlySunshine

The DSMME have an average age of 21 at the time of entrance. At the odd time that I was looking into them, I contacted Sr. Joseph Andrew and she told me, when I was 26, that if I wanted to enter, I needed to enter soon so I wouldn't be so much older than most of the new Sisters. The average age of all the Sisters is 28 according to their website.

OnlySunshine

The [url="http://www.franciscansisterstor.org/"]TOR Sisters[/url] look like most of the Sisters are under 35. They were founded in 1988, so they are a fairly new order.

The [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/386"]Benedictine Sisters of Mary[/url] only have 13 Solemnly Professed Sisters. The rest look under 30. Their age limit is 16-25.

The [url="http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/"]Franciscan Sisters CFR[/url] were founded in 1988. Their Sister Foundress, Sr. Lucille is in her 40s or 50s and most of the other Sisters are under 35. Of course, that could just be their Franciscan joy shining through!

The [url="http://sistersoflife.org/"]Sisters of Life[/url] were founded in 1991 and I believe the amount of younger Sisters outweighs the older Sisters. Most of them look under 35.

I think it is not 16. I think people can start CORRESPONDING with the formation director at 16 -- and the actual ages are a little different on their website. There was discussion on this on the thread about music of the Benedictine Sisters of Mary over the last few days.....

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1336776936' post='2429911']
WAIT! 16? Girls can enter at 16??
[/quote]
There was someone from DSMME who entered at 16 (I think, correct me if I am wrong). So I would say yes.

Edited by Annie12

InPersonaChriste

It is possible, though I was told that I had to wait as Immigration and making sure this is my vocation was vital for entry.

Quaesivi Vultuum Tuum

The canonic law (n°643) says the candidat must be 17 years at the noviciate beginning. So it's possible to start postulat at 16!
And for the first vows, the novice must be 18 years (n°656)

mantellata

The DSMME postulant entered at 16 but a month or so in turned 17. They have an aspirancy followed by a postulancy at the DSMME. So she would have been 17 by the time she became a postulant.

Really it was an exception because of where her birthday landed in comparison to the official entrance date.

I think people forget that entrance (and especially novitiate) is not the same as getting married. Even after vows there is a period of discernment. Lots of time to mature. My guess is - since the DSMME turn away plenty of 17s, 18s (and older) based on the fact that they need a little more "life experience" and maturing that the postulant in question was truly an exceptional case.

Edited by mantellata

OnlySunshine

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1336829372' post='2430042']
The DSMME postulant entered at 16 but a month or so in turned 17. They have an aspirancy followed by a postulancy at the DSMME. So she would have been 17 by the time she became a postulant.

Really it was an exception because of where her birthday landed in comparison to the official entrance date.

I think people forget that entrance (and especially novitiate) is not the same as getting married. Even after vows there is a period of discernment. Lots of time to mature. My guess is - since the DSMME turn away plenty of 17s, 18s (and older) based on the fact that they need a little more "life experience" and maturing that the postulant in question was truly an exceptional case.
[/quote]

Many communities consider Catholic home-schooled women to be more mature than those that have attended public school. They are more committed to their studies. I have a friend that did the Seton Home Study program and the CFR Sisters thought that was really inspiring. I also have another friend that I met when I visited the RSMs in November last year. She is only 17, but the Sisters allowed her to make an application since she was homeschooled and MUCH more advanced than a regular student.

I do agree that life experience is important, but it's nice to know that communities judge character individually. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Katiebobatie94

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1336790039' post='2429948']
There was someone from DSMME who entered at 16 (I think, correct me if I am wrong). So I would say yes.
[/quote]

yes she did. she needed special permission though. there was also a 17 yr old who entered.....same thing special permission

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1336603548' post='2429244']

The [url="http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/"]Franciscan Sisters CFR[/url] were founded in 1988. Their Sister Foundress, Sr. Lucille is in her 40s or 50s and most of the other Sisters are under 35. Of course, that could just be their Franciscan joy shining through!

[/quote]

Its the joy. :)