An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Dungeons And Dragons Memories

Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

Ruminate here on your favorite (mis)adventures/characters playing D&D back in the day....

1. painting 3 dozen minis then being so worried they would get damaged I wouldn't take them out of their foam-lined case
2. 24 hour straight gaming sessions in college, breaking only for potty and calzones
3. taking a bunch of halfwit teens to a D&D tournament/convention and surprising coming in at 2nd place overall
4. dead alewives skit
5. playing DM and PC at same time to run a solo adventure. turned into major monty haul of course
6. playing Pool of Radiance & Azure Bonds modules on paper, then playing them through on the Commodore 64 years later
7. having my party physically restrain my paladin so he would shut his yap and quit causing problems in the Underdark
8. reading the DM guide, Player's Handbook, and Monster Manual cover to cover at least once a month (wish now I had spent that much time reading my Bible)
9. Writing about a gaming session for my English paper. Teacher and class loved the 'fantasy' story I wrote- didn;t realize all I did was narrate the goofy antics of our party one night
10. assuming the persona of my elf wizard on BBSes (precursor to the internet for you young pups)

*sigh* good times. many hours wasted. much pizza consumed.

My party had one guy who always rolled 1s it seemed on anything physical. In the course of 4 hours of play once, he managed to:
1) Fall off a small cliff
2) Fall into a fire pit
3) Fall into an Iron Maiden
4) Fail to dodge the boss fight's Daily power.
5) Decided to take four opportunity attacks to go after an enemy and got incapacitated after being hit with all four.

He was a bit unlucky. :| It made everyone, him included, laugh though.

Brother Adam

I always found it interesting, but playing Dongeons and Dragons appears on many examinations of conscience approved by priests and bishops as a violation of the 10 commandments and a sin that should be confessed.

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1337040808' post='2430667']
I always found it interesting, but playing Dongeons and Dragons appears on many examinations of conscience approved by priests and bishops as a violation of the 10 commandments and a sin that should be confessed.
[/quote]

I've always found that interesting as well... I wonder where it comes from and what the justification for it is? Surely a real time role playing game isn't inherently sinful (there are many many of them besides D&D).

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1337040808' post='2430667']
[/quote]

seriously? never heard of that. really.

dominicansoul

it has something to do with the occult.... i think... :think: I never played it, but i always saw it on the list of the examination of conscience, right next to ouija boards, black magic, fortune tellers, etc....

i do recall it created a stir back in the 80's when some kid killed himself over it...or did he kill someone else? no i think he went insane....there's a made for tv movie about it....

BEST THREAD EVER!!!

My classic MO is to flip out on NPC's and destroy stuff, including the following:

--Pub tables
--Altars to Palor
--innocent bystanders
--walls
--scimitars
--Warforge
--and Dwarfs.

My Half-Orc fighter once punted a Dwarf Battlemage off of a cliff...he was annoying, as well as my cousin's character.

One of my parties once got super drunk in a pub in Fallcrest, and woke up in the Astral Sea..

My brother played a Priest of Kord who went around Inquisitioning random objects, such as brooms and pottery, as well as an old woman.

Yeah, one late night (or should I say early morning?) session caused me to fail an Algebra test...

There are many pictures of me passed out sleeping at our gaming table.

Edited by BigJon16

Groo the Wanderer

occult? there was no occult stuff in the sessions i played. not much different than lotro.

D&D is very, extremely dangerous. See,

[img]http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkqza2YASm1qc5gjlo1_500.png[/img]

Dark Dungeons! The most hilarious of Chick tracts :)

Also $200 in figures and manuals? So daddy bought like 4 manuals and half a dozen tiny figurines?

I see them more like Chick's Comics. See,

[img]http://www.nonfictioncomics.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/darkdungeons1.jpg[/img]