An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Dungeons And Dragons Memories

Groo the Wanderer

let_go_let_God

In respect to the examination of conscience, I once talked to one of my regular confessors in college about this. I had a group of friends who invited me to play. We had a good conversation about it and in short it boiled down to this. D&D is just like playing a role playing game on the computer or other gaming system. It would be wrong to devote all your spare time and get enveloped in a video game and the same is true for any hobby. Also there is a line between believing you can cast spells and acknowledging that it is a fantasy game. Knowing which side of that line you and those you play with are on also makes the difference.

Basilisa Marie

I never played, but there were plenty of times in college where I enjoyed watching my good friends play D&D while I enjoyed their peppermint-infused vodka. It's literally just a computer RPG game...on a table with figurines and reference books and lots of really razzle dazzle dice. Where do we think all action/adventure computer game systems got their ideas?

The people who say D&D is sinful because it's evil magic are similar to people who believe rock music has "nefarious rhythms." While I do acknowledge that more of a case could be made for Harry Potter's "magical" influences, I think the same idea applies. While it could peak an interest in bad stuff, there's nothing wrong with D&D in itself. LGLG is right - there's a big difference between playing the granddaddy of all fantasy/adventure games with friends and actually buying magical instruction manuals from your local Wiccan bookstore.

dominicansoul

[quote name='let_go_let_God' timestamp='1337091097' post='2430866']
It would be wrong to devote all your spare time and get enveloped in a video game and the same is true for any hobby.
[/quote]

like "phatmassing?" :hehe2:

let_go_let_God

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1337109424' post='2430976']
like "phatmassing?" :hehe2:
[/quote]

Or Facebook, tumblr, twitter, flickr, or any myriad of websites you can think of.

GeorgiiMichael

Best moment: Basilia Marie's boyfriend, on his VERY FIRST TIME PLAYING rolled 4 natural 20s in a row. FOUR. It was insane. We have this thing with our group that if you confirm a nat-20 crit with another nat-20, then you continue to confirm, and depending on how many crits you get, it determines how MUCH you either rock the monster that you hit and/or other monsters in the immediate area. He ended up getting 4 20s, then a 19, which was also a crit for his weapon. Basically, nothing was left in the room.

Also, one time, I was a Neanderthal Barbarian, and I shot a door that was opening and closing by itself with my bone bow/arrows. I got a crit. I tried to convince my DM that it should have just destroyed the door, but instead he had it ricochet off and hit something away from our field of vision that altered a future encounter we had. To this day I contend that the door should have shattered...