An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1346043742' post='2474781']Chiquitunga, so they are making a foundation? Do you know where? They were making this one when I was in Buffalo and I've always wondered about them.
[/quote]
Yes, as far as I know. I heard this from a priest but then found a small mention [url="http://www.bismarckdiocese.com/uploads%5Cresources%5C1509%5Capril-2012-clergy-communicator.pdf"]here[/url] from the Bishop of the Diocese of Bismarck, ND. It seems like they are in the early stages, so let us keep them in prayer :pray:

Thank you emmaberry and chiquitunga for the congratulations!

Emmaberry-my entrance date is march 19 (tentatively). The community is English-only, even though its roots are Mexican. Hope you have a blessed time going to Mass there! It is a reverent novos ordo, and the priests who usually say the Masses are religious priests (I forgot which order). There is still a communion rail =]

Chiquitunga-i didn't know most of the Asian sisters were Vietnamese! Good to know. The Filipino sister is fairly new- she was a postulant when i went for my come-and-see. she just received the Habit in June. and when i enter, i'll be the next Filipino xP

[u]here's more info about the Carmelites in Dallas![/u]
-They have 5 dogs (big dogs!)
-They chant the Rosary and say the Divine Mercy in private everyday around 3 PM
-i heard one of their special intentions is to pray for the return of a Christian ethos in our country.
-i don't remember their entire schedule.. except for these parts: 5 AM- rising, 1 hour mental prayer/lauds, 7 AM- Mass, breakfast/work... dinner/ 1 hour recreation... 1 hour rest or quiet time in your cell.. Divine Mercy (in silence- optional, but pretty much everyone does it).. work.. 1 hour mental prayer... collation (light meal)/ another hour of recreation.. 1 hour in your cell for private devotions... Matins/ evening prayers..retire- 10:40 PM (sometimes, you could have the option of retiring earlier-i think is what Mother said)
-they keep all the fasts prescribed by the Rule
-parents may visit once a month, there is 1 phone call/ letter home a month

[u]Also wanted to share some things that Mother Juanita (Dallas), Mother Marie of the Sacred Heart (San Francisco), and one of the priests who gives guidance to the nuns in Cristo Rey has shared:[/u]
-if you are called to be a Carmelite, you will also be called to a specific Carmel (each one is a little different, even if it's the same spirit).. and it will feel like "home"
-entering Carmel is like taking a big plunge- there will be many "unknowns" but you will not regret following God's call
-if you feel like you do not have the strength or health for this life's austerities, don't worry- if God calls you, He'll give you the strength
-the cloistered nun should have a missionary's heart: the church has always held in high regard those behind grates, because their prayers can do more than a missionary's works, and will help their works bear fruit
-cloistered nuns develop a special gift of infused wisdom because of their prayer/enclosure- God gives them profound wisdom, which they share to those who visit them and seek counsel.

Edited by lmsb1231

Chiara Francesco

Congratulations, IMSB1231! How wonderful for you! I will keep you in my prayers.

I loved the points you listed from the priest and prioresses.

I have written and visited Carmels and Poor Clare Colettine communities and these points are the same for PCCs (maybe others too) as the Mother Abbesses in the PCC communities said pretty much the same! How is this:

-if you are called to be a Carmelite or a PCC, you will also be called to a specific Carmel/PCC monastery (each one is a little different, even if it's the same spirit).. and it will feel like "home"

-entering Carmel/the PCCs is like taking a big plunge- there will be many "unknowns" but you will not regret following God's call

-if you feel like you do not have the strength or health for this life's austerities, don't worry- if God calls you, He'll give you the strength (Carmel and the PCCs have the same austerities and the PCCs have the added barefoot (tough in the winter/fall on ice cold floors! I tried this myself during a visit to a PCC monastery this past February and went barefoot when I could in the chapel, my room, etc when the public wasn't around and while it was tough!, it was also beautiful and wonderful!), the midnight rising with the interrupted sleep and the year round perpetual fast and abstinence and others. I love both orders so God DOES give the graces needed for where ever one goes.

-the cloistered nun should have a missionary's heart: the church has always held in high regard those behind grates, because their prayers can do more than a missionary's works, and will help their works bear fruit

-cloistered nuns develop a special gift of infused wisdom because of their prayer/enclosure- God gives them profound wisdom, which they share to those who visit them and seek counsel. - definitely! I have gotten much benefit from these nuns, more from a SD I had once! I think it was better as they LIVE the life and have developed a good sense of who is for them and who is not and who they are willing to give a chance too.

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1346184519' post='2475384']
-cloistered nuns develop a special gift of infused wisdom because of their prayer/enclosure- God gives them profound wisdom, which they share to those who visit them and seek counsel. - definitely! I have gotten much benefit from these nuns, more from a SD I had once! I think it was better as they LIVE the life and have developed a good sense of who is for them and who is not and who they are willing to give a chance too.
[/quote]

This is one thing that scared me about the nuns, especially Mother! They have eyes that can just look right through you. It's funny, because they are in the cloister, but I feel like they knew so much about me before I even opened my mouth! It was such a strange feeling. During the whole visit, I could tell that Mother and the nuns were expertly evaluating me, and there was no room to be fake or anything unlike one's truest self. Of course, Mother and the nuns were completely sweet, generous, and holy women, but I suppose that is how any girl feels when she meets the Superior of the community she'd like to join.

Sitting in front of cloistered nuns was almost like sitting in front of Saint Pio-as if they could read your heart.

Edited by emmaberry

Studiumecclesiae

I would like to share you some pictures of the Carmel of Eynesse (you pronounce it "A - ness").
Those are ultra-traditional nuns, with daily Traditional Latin Mass and the strictest enclosure: no way to see them. Well they have a black veil hiding their faces when in parlour.

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2007/eynessehabit/carmel03.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2007/eynessehabit/carmel05.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2007/eynessehabit/carmel04.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2007/eynessehabit/carmel06.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2008/25ansCarmel/carm07.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laportelatine.org/publications/presse/2008/25ansCarmel/carm03.jpg[/img]

Well it's the most traditional Carmel in France (they are SSPX), but there's also Alençon Carmel with the Traditional Latin Mass three times a week that is nearly as strict (but they don't hide their faces when in parlour; except when it's a man) and they have diocesan priests. Créteil Carmel has no Traditional Latin Mass but all Latin office.

Do they have double grilles? It doesn't appear that they do. Nearly all 1990 Carmels have them .. though I have heard of a few that don't .. Traverse City, Flemington and Ars (I noticed from those videos on them on youtube)

Chiquitunga,
I heard back from the Des Plaines Carmel. She didn't say "no" to my age but she did say that from their experience it is much more difficult for women over 35 to live in the cloister. However, she encouraged me to write to them again and tell them more about myself. So I did. :) I suppose it is now just a matter of getting to know one another through letters and then arranging a visit. I've never been to a Carmelite monastery before but I would imagine it is somewhat like the Poor Clares, strict enclosure, Divine Office, study, etc. I think I read a thread here on PM VS that Carmelites put more focus on the "hermit" than the "community" so there is probably more individual solitary pray in Carmel than in the Franciscan life.

ACS67, that is great to hear! I am sincerely happy for you! I will keep you in prayer. Yes, solitude is more emphasized in Carmel (the first Carmelites were hermits on Mt. Carmel) than in the Poor Clares.. although in Carmel there [i]are[/i] the two hour recreation periods, after dinner (in the middle of the day) and supper/colation .. whereas in the Poor Clares there is usually just one one hour recreation in the evening. But besides that, yes, solitude in the cell is more emphasized in Carmel.. and generally the spirituality of solitude, even in the midst of community life. Some Carmels emphasize it more, some less. I have heard it is more so in French Carmels, which is what Des Plaines is. I will keep you in prayer! They are a wonderful community! :pray:

[quote name='VeniJesuAmorMi' timestamp='1346267010' post='2475917']
Has anyone heard anything more about the new foundation from the Nebraska Carmelites?
[/quote]
There are a couple recent comments [url="http://cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/30/new-carmelite-house/"]here[/url] on the bottom by the father of one of the Sisters. They will be enclosed September 21st :pray:

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1346302240' post='2476183']
ACS67, that is great to hear! I am sincerely happy for you! I will keep you in prayer. Yes, solitude is more emphasized in Carmel (the first Carmelites were hermits on Mt. Carmel) than in the Poor Clares.. although in Carmel there [i]are[/i] the two hour recreation periods, after dinner (in the middle of the day) and supper/colation .. whereas in the Poor Clares there is usually just one one hour recreation in the evening. But besides that, yes, solitude in the cell is more emphasized in Carmel.. and generally the spirituality of solitude, even in the midst of community life. Some Carmels emphasize it more, some less. I have heard it is more so in French Carmels, which is what Des Plaines is. I will keep you in prayer! They are a wonderful community! :pray:
[/quote]
I thought I was called to Carmel when I began discerning (who doesn't think that?!) because of the focus on solitude. Where I am now, I don't know if I [s]edit: cold[/s] could handle two daily recreations! Zaps my energy imagining it..or could be that I need to go to bed. :hehe:

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1346467173' post='2477009']
There are a couple recent comments [url="http://cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/30/new-carmelite-house/"]here[/url] on the bottom by the father of one of the Sisters. [b]They will be enclosed September 21st [/b] :pray:
[/quote]
So, in other words, everyone needs to make a mad dash to Nebraska before they are enclosed??

Is it common practice to allow people in to see the monastery and other things like that before the nuns are officially enclosed? I read about this in A Right to Be Merry, but know that certain practices aren't done in every order/community. Thanks!

Edited by emmaberry

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1346467173' post='2477009']
There are a couple recent comments [url="http://cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/30/new-carmelite-house/"]here[/url] on the bottom by the father of one of the Sisters. They will be enclosed September 21st :pray:
[/quote]

God reward you! :)

So then they must have the Sisters there that are going to stay. I heard that on August 24th the 5 that were there went back to Nebraska (after a month of being in CA) and then they would take 5 more Sisters and head back to CA. I guess that would be 10 total? I'm surprised they didn't send more, but then again maybe its because they should have only 21 in the community anyway so they wouldn't make a new foundation and fill it up already! :hehe2:

They will also have a lot of Sisters still in Nebraska... it will be interesting to find out that still another foundation will be happening soon. :)

[quote name='lmsb1231' timestamp='1346061915' post='2474832']

Chiquitunga-i didn't know most of the Asian sisters were Vietnamese! Good to know. The Filipino sister is fairly new- she was a postulant when i went for my come-and-see. she just received the Habit in June. and when i enter, i'll be the next Filipino xP

[/quote]

I'm glad that I've found fellow Filipinos here. My prayers for you on your entrance to Carmel!

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346473862' post='2477046']
I thought I was called to Carmel when I began discerning (who doesn't think that?!) because of the focus on solitude. Where I am now, I don't know if I [s]edit: cold[/s] could handle two daily recreations! Zaps my energy imagining it..or could be that I need to go to bed. :hehe:

So, in other words, everyone needs to make a mad dash to Nebraska before they are enclosed??

Is it common practice to allow people in to see the monastery and other things like that before the nuns are officially enclosed? I read about this in A Right to Be Merry, but know that certain practices aren't done in every order/community. Thanks!
[/quote]

That's an interesting thought. :) When I started looking into Carmelite communties I was looking for those that seemed to have more of an emphasis on solitude. Well I entered a wonderful Carmelite community and I found that the balance of everything was perfect; just as our Holy Mother St. Teresa had put together. There is no talking to anyone during the day except the Superiors to get your permissions, and then at the recreations the community gets together to talk. It was a lot of fun; a time when the Sisters could be silly and have simple fun. I didn't find it a distraction. We had retreats during the year that went for 8 days at a time, and we wouldn't have recreations and sometimes we had "hermit" days where you could eat your dinner somewhere other than the refectory and you wouldn't have the afternoon recreation and hardly no work. The retreat days and hermit days were special, and then when you had recreations again you would enjoy the company of the Sisters. Then there is the 8 day retreat that the Sister would have before her Clothing or making Vows. No recreations for her the whole 8 days; that was really great. Before making her Solemn Profession, the Sister would go to the Chapel the night before and stay with Our Lord until midnight. Also, (just to share :) ) the Sister who was going to have a Ceremony would sleep in and the Community would process to her cell and sing to her to wake her up. That was beautiful too.

I don't know much about seeing the monastery before it's enclosed but when the Sisters came from Nebraska to PA, they had "tours" for people to go through and see it. The family also got to see their daughter, without the grille. So I could imagine that it was exciting for the family. As for the Sisters, they were probably excited to be enclosed and not have all these people walking around so they could continue there life of silence and prayer. :pray:

Edit: for spelling.

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

Mary's Margaret

VJAM, that sounds like such a lovely community. Allowing the Sister to stay with her Lord into the night, then singing her into her special day! What blessings from our most loving God! Thank-you for sharing this with us.