An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

graciandelamadrededios

CONTINUATION: 

NEW COMMUNITY MEMBER ALBUM

Entrustment%20to%20Our%20Lady%20of%20Mt%

Sister%20Emma%20Luz%20of%20the%20Prince%

Loretto Carmels habit is unique - the Veil is very similar to Spanish OCD Nuns but the cut of the Toque is very French.  One or two monasteries of Nuns in the Philippines has similar habit.

graciandelamadrededios

Thank you for sharing that, Gratian!   Christmas blessings to you and all who read your thread!

Nativity%20Adorers%202.JPG?itok=93OK1Bxn

http://lorettocarmel.org/content/christmas-carmel

Youre welcome, Anneline!

Merry Christmas to you all!  Thank you for posting this photo and since I became curious - I clicked the link, I had a nice surprise waiting, new album with beautiful photos!

Grancian

CONTINUATION: 

Loretto Carmels habit is unique - the Veil is very similar to Spanish OCD Nuns but the cut of the Toque is very French.  One or two monasteries of Nuns in the Philippines has similar habit.

Well, Gratian and all, we have given each other a beautiful Christmas surprise....

... and one that is shared with all VSers (and the whole internet! :wave: ) --- I knew that pictures of Carmelites around the creche would make you happy, so I went hunting some for you!

But I didn't expect to see THAT sister in THAT community, for sure!   I knew Sister Emma Luz of the Prince of Peace when she was with the Carmelite Sisters in Alhambra!     Since they give her name on one of the photos on their web-album, I feel comfortable sharing it with you all -- and that this is her feast day!   She told me long ago when she became a Carmelite Sister, she had asked to receive the name 'Sister Marie Noel' but the Sisters said no, as they were an active (third order) community, she would have all the kids calling her 'Sister Merry Christmas'!   So they gave her Emma for 'Emmanuel' and gave her Christmas as her feast day!

She was the novice mistress with the Carmelite Sisters in Alhambra at one point, and was the Retreat House manager at various times.  I am sure that the Loretto Sisters' gain is a big loss to the Carmelite Sisters, who will undoubtedly miss her a great deal.   Here is a picture of her when she was in the Carmelite Sisters..... pretty obviously, she is the second one from the left.

Carmelites%20of%20Most%20Sacred%20Heart%

I pray every grace for her in the next stage of her journey to the Heart of the Prince of Peace!!!!

A%20Festive%20Day.JPG?itok=rlwkLepW

Edited by AnneLine

graciandelamadrededios

Well, Gratian and all, we have given each other a beautiful Christmas surprise....

... and one that is shared with all VSers (and the whole internet! :wave: ) --- I knew that pictures of Carmelites around the creche would make you happy, so I went hunting some for you!

But I didn't expect to see THAT sister in THAT community, for sure!   I knew Sister Emma Luz of the Prince of Peace when she was with the Carmelite Sisters in Alhambra!     Since they give her name on one of the photos on their web-album, I feel comfortable sharing it with you all -- and that this is her feast day!   She told me long ago when she became a Carmelite Sister, she had asked to receive the name 'Sister Marie Noel' but the Sisters said no, as they were an active (third order) community, she would have all the kids calling her 'Sister Merry Christmas'!   So they gave her Emma for 'Emmanuel' and gave her Christmas as her feast day!

She was the novice mistress with the Carmelite Sisters in Alhambra at one point, and was the Retreat House manager at various times.  I am sure that the Loretto Sisters' gain is a big loss to the Carmelite Sisters, who will undoubtedly miss her a great deal.   Here is a picture of her when she was in the Carmelite Sisters..... pretty obviously, she is the second one from the left.

I pray every grace for her in the next stage of her journey to the Heart of the Prince of Peace!!!!

Thanks for the information.  I was wondering which previous congregation she came from.

Well, it is fairly common among religious communities - a member being drawn to a more enclosed life.  The 1991 Text has provisions on "Transferring from one Institute to another and leaving the Order."

Sister Emma Luz is a wonderful name.  If my spanish is correct - Luz means light.

I am most sure that the active Carmelite Sisters will miss her and I am also sure that it will strengthen the bond between the active and enclosed Carmelite communities.

Gracian.

graciandelamadrededios

... and one that is shared with all VSers (and the whole internet!  :wave: ) --- I knew that pictures of Carmelites around the creche would make you happy, so I went hunting some for you!

Thanks for the information.  I was wondering which previous congregation she came from.

Well, it is fairly common among religious communities - a member being drawn to a more enclosed life.  The 1991 Text has provisions on "Transferring from one Institute to another and leaving the Order."

Sister Emma Luz is a wonderful name.  If my spanish is correct - Luz means light.

I am most sure that the active Carmelite Sisters will miss her and I am also sure that it will strengthen the bond between the active and enclosed Carmelite communities.

Info not related to the Carmelites but speaks about bond of two communities:

To heal the pain between the Holy Spirit Sisters and Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, St. Arnold Jansen transferred Sister Maria (co-foundress of the active branch) to the cloistered branch and she received a new name, Sr. Maria Virgo.  This strengthen the bond of the two congregation of sisters.

Gracian

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you AnneLine and Gracian for sharing these beautiful picures and information! :heart: Its not often you get to see pictures from within the enclosure of Carmel.

Sister%20Jennifer.JPG?itok=JIuFbyCg

To comment on the bottom picture: That beautiful statue that Sister is standing next to is also at the Buffalo Carmel. Its great to know that it has a home at another Carmel also!

The first picture I was wondering about the postulant dress. I had a guess that maybe this is what the Carmels with the 1991 Constitutions adapted at a certain time? Is there a significance with the color of it and the cross they pinned on Sister? I am familiar with the brown Carmelite postulant dress with the cape and collar and white veil.

graciandelamadrededios

Thank you AnneLine and Gracian for sharing these beautiful picures and information! :heart: Its not often you get to see pictures from within the enclosure of Carmel.

To comment on the bottom picture: That beautiful statue that Sister is standing next to is also at the Buffalo Carmel. Its great to know that it has a home at another Carmel also!

The first picture I was wondering about the postulant dress. I had a guess that maybe this is what the Carmels with the 1991 Constitutions adapted at a certain time? Is there a significance with the color of it and the cross they pinned on Sister? I am familiar with the brown Carmelite postulant dress with the cape and collar and white veil.

It seems that Carmels has this same model of statues of St. Therese - kneeling at the feet of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel and her Divine Son.  Gilmore Carmel has similar - more of a bass relief in Gold.

Carmels after Vatican II, have been encourage to create their own directory or house statutes and among other things, the community can decide what mode of clothing befits the postulants considering the culture of the place or country the monastery is located.  

In the USA, I noticed that jumper-dress is common postulants clothing.  Ours - a simple blouse and skirt; pin a veil and voila - you have a postulants dress.  

Manila Carmel's postulant dress consist of white blouse, A-line black skirt (or was it brown?) and black veil - very simple, practical and you can almost buy these at any clothing store except for the veil.

Pinning the cross may have some meaning or interpretation to Loretto Carmelite Nuns that we do not know.  It looks a wooden cross without the corpus which is similar to the wooden crosses worn by Carmels of Italian origin.  Chiqui and I have some discussions about this custom at another thread - Carmelite Custom.

graciandelamadrededios

I have tons of photos of Carmelite Nuns from French, Spanish, German, Polish origin but I cannot share them here; not until I finish my research and published my Vocation Guide Book for Cloistered Communities.

I do not know for sure, VJAM (?)(what do you like to be called?) but I know that many Carmelite and other postulant communities choose some variety of navy jumper or skirt and jacket for their postulants (and the Carmelite Sister community Sr. Emma Luz was with uses that outfit for postulants AND novices, so it would certainly look familiar to her as a former novice mistress!)   The Carmelite Sisters also have their postulants wear a cross with corpus under the jumper, so it may just be the tradition... bouncing off the custom of the professed Carmelites to wear a crucifix there.   And yes, there have been MANY a discussion of the over/under, with/without corpus crosses over recent months... suffice it to say ALL Carmelites wear the cross over their hearts, one way or another!

Gratian, I see you are busy on Christmas day as well - peace to all!

Now I have to go fix Christmas dinner!

Blessings!!!!!

graciandelamadrededios

Hi Anneline,

In the Philippines, Christmas Dinner begins at 12 midnight -  25 Dec.  We are now Dec 26, 2013; 7.14 in the morning!

Gracian

We have Christmas Dinner the night of Christmas... but way too many family gatherings are still chowing down by midnight on the 26th!   Mine is in the oven right now, Gratian, and it smells amazing.    :)  God is Good.

graciandelamadrededios

CONTINUATION: 

Manila Carmel "statue" of St. Therese:

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...