An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

brandelynmarie

I really like the Valladolid community, but yes, it seems they are doing something different....& it's working!

graciandelamadrededios

An article published today with this information as well - https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aleteia.org%2Fpt%2Freligiao%2Fartigo%2Fexperimente-15-dias-de-clausura-a-interessante-iniciativa-de-um-convento-carmelita-5217662921605120&edit-text=&act=url (edit to add - they use a picture of the Canyon, CA nuns, and the copyright is Public Domain, interesting, not sure if that's true, oh well)

"This new formula, this new charism, told first with the support of the archbishop of Valladolid, which then received confirmation from Rome. In short, experience may lead to the formation of a new religious foundation." (Google translated :proud:)

This sounds similar to how the Iesu Communio came from a community of Poor Clares that was overflowing with young vocations; a different charism came from it. But yes, ruso, you're right that many cloistered communities can allow women to live inside for a time to try it out, although depending on the community, it's usually just for very serious applicants. The 1991 Constitutions allow live-ins for up to 3 months. So it must be that Valladolid has something special that would require extra permission even from this regarding this 15 day live-in. 

You are right, Chiqui, the 1991 Text allows live in for three months and it only applies to candidates who are serious and this arrangement is subject for approval by votes in the chapter.

Any extension of the 3 month period stipulated by the law needs to be approved by the Holy See, who approved the 1991 Constitutions.  Request such as this is directed to the Local Ordinary if the monastery is under its jurisdiction and in turn the Bishop submits the request to the Holy See.

If the monastery is under the jurisdiction of the Generalate, the Superior General forwards the request to the Holy See for approval.

• 2 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

oh yes, in honor of st therese who also did laundry.  Its better than the Dominicans who receive the bishop in the pantry in honor of Aquinas...

I am sure if its Customary of Carmelites.  This has never been stipulated in any Custome Book or on the Paper of Exactions of the OCD Nuns. 

Maybe the largest space in the temporary monastery is the laundry area.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Bishop is blessing the house and each room is blessed! It's really that simple! :saint2:

Im not sure if this is the right Carmelite thread for this question (there was a customs thread I cant seem to find) but its going in here anyway.

What is the common way for Sisters to address each other?  I thought it would be "Sister so and so could you pass me that" but have heard that Carmels omit the sister part and jsut say "so and so could you pass me that"

Anyone know more about this?

truthfinder

Vee,

I believe this is very dependent on the each particular community and which constitution they use.  Some will use very formal address to each other, and others will not. And in some Carmels, one is not to ask for something (such as at a meal), another sister would have to offer it to you. 

I know someone will give a more definitive answer...

maximillion

I was never in Carmel but discovered later that many of our customs were based on/very Carmelite like.

We addressed each other as Sister on all occasions. Postulants were Little Sister.

We were never to ask for anything for our personal use. The etiquette around this took some learning.

For example, it was okay to ask for the soap powder if you were doing the Laundry, because that was a communal enterprise and not for personal use.

We had a General Permission each day which facilitated things like not having to walk all the way up from the veg patch to the house to find a Superior so you could ask for a drink of water. We later said in Recreation 'Mother I made use of the GP for a drink of water today' or whatever it was. 

In refectory, there were never any condiments, and the bowls/serving plates containing the food were passed down the table once for us to serve ourselves. If there was any left the bowl/plate could be passed a second time but you couldn't ask for it, you had to wait till someone noticed your empty plate and offered it to you.

Once a month ( when I entered and for about 10 years after that) we knelt in the community room and asked R Mother "From His bounty Mother may we take for personal use X,Y, and Z". This was things like toiletries, personal products etc.

These items later appeared in one's cell.

This was later changed  to a private note dropped off at R Mother's office, with the same formula, but written.

If a large item of clothing, bed linen etc needed mending, it was sent to the mending room. Here Sister would decide if it was worth mending or needed replacement. If it needed replacement she would whisper to you to put a note in the Procure with a note pinned to it as no longer being fit for purpose.

We darned our own habits and underwear etc during Recreation. There was also a basket in the room containing sundry items that needed mending which one could take up if there was no other project you were busy with.

brandelynmarie

I have a sinking feeling I need to learn how to sew & knit. :unsure: Let's just say my gifts lie elsewhere :hehe2:

I was never in Carmel but discovered later that many of our customs were based on/very Carmelite like.

From your post I discovered I have a sudden new appreciation of walking to the fridge and drinking the milk right out of the jug! :topsy:

I have a sinking feeling I need to learn how to sew & knit. :unsure: Let's just say my gifts lie elsewhere :hehe2:

ditto!!

Once a month ( when I entered and for about 10 years after that) we knelt in the community room and asked R Mother "From His bounty Mother may we take for personal use X,Y, and Z". This was things like toiletries, personal products etc.

These items later appeared in one's cell.

This was later changed  to a private note dropped off at R Mother's office, with the same formula, but written.

I like the private note idea better.  I guess one would get used to asking for pads in front of everyone but it seems very awkward at first!  Although I guess it might give the other Sisters the idea to pass the chocolate ice cream back around to you at meal time. :|

maximillion

When it is available (Chocolate) - ours was once a year on our private 8 day retreat.

Oh, I lie, we had a box of sweets passed round in the community room on Christmas day and Easter Sunday. But one of the last things Mother did in her private conference with one at the start of the retreat was to hand over a big block of chocolate, no permission required to eat it all for one's self! The end of the retreat also saw us receive anything new we needed for the year, a habit tunic or scapular, a new sheet, fabric to sew a new apron.......

However, not all communities have these practices and not all of them have kept them in place.

In the summer harvest we had permission to eat the fruit as we worked picking it too. Nothing like a massive warm peach falling ripely into one's hand and conveyed to the mouth - such a treat!!

truthfinder

When it is available (Chocolate) - ours was once a year on our private 8 day retreat.

Oh, I lie, we had a box of sweets passed round in the community room on Christmas day and Easter Sunday. But one of the last things Mother did in her private conference with one at the start of the retreat was to hand over a big block of chocolate, no permission required to eat it all for one's self! The end of the retreat also saw us receive anything new we needed for the year, a habit tunic or scapular, a new sheet, fabric to sew a new apron.......

However, not all communities have these practices and not all of them have kept them in place.

In the summer harvest we had permission to eat the fruit as we worked picking it too. Nothing like a massive warm peach falling ripely into one's hand and conveyed to the mouth - such a treat!!

Goodness, I like the idea of chocolate handed over for the retreat - my problem is I'd probably run out! and I'd probably spend more time eating fruit than putting any in a basket.

maximillion

I wondered about over indulgence too, untill I ate my fill of cherries with inevitable consequences and much excusing 'to attend the personal office' as going to the loo was called.

By the next year I had learned my lesson!

We also had 'gouter' (afternoon eats) in harvest season, when any slightly over ripe fruit or anything that could not be pickled, canned, bottled or preserved was put out to be eaten.

In '76 when there was a heatwave in Europe, we were all in fruity heaven we had so much fruit, and it appeared at every meal and every excuse for a snack.