An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

inperpetuity

A couple from our parish have two daughters in temporary vows in Valparaiso and the eldest is making her solemn profession on Nov. 21st and they invited the whole parish!  I can't go because I will be out of town..... :cry3: but for a happy occasion. :) I hope they take lots of pictures.

graciandelamadrededios

Your very welcome! How are you doing? I hope all is going well. :)

Beautiful. I enjoy so much an entrance picture into Carmel. When the Reverend Mother welcomes her with a Crucifix to kiss; it is so touching. Thank you for sharing!

You are welcome!

I'm glad you like them!

VeniJesuAmorMi

Happy feast day of St. Teresa of Jesus! May she pray for us.

Today there was a First Profession this morning at the Elysburg Carmel. The Sister also received her Profession Crucifix that she will wear over her heart and also a relic of the saint who she has for her religious name. :heart:

A couple from our parish have two daughters in temporary vows in Valparaiso and the eldest is making her solemn profession on Nov. 21st and they invited the whole parish!  I can't go because I will be out of town..... :cry3: but for a happy occasion. :) I hope they take lots of pictures.

How wonderful! And both daughters in Carmel; what a grace for their family. They must have so many celebrations at that Carmel as they are still getting a lot of vocations, and then there are the ceremonies, and each Sister has a feast day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=3215:stalls.jpg]

(A Cistercian Choir)

While the future of the Sugarloaf Carmelites is fully (and rightly) known by the community alone, it is interesting to see the changes made to the nuns' chapel.  It now has a type of choir stall one might

well associate with Cistercians/Trappists.  I've also seen this orientation (facing each other/with a psalter stand) in Dominican monasteries...and can only presume that it facilitates chanting the office (alternating passages), bowing, kneeling, etc.  Likewise, it's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that Trappist monks only bow to each other in church.  Facing each other in the choir stalls also serves to remind them that they are bound together as a community in Christ.

Sorry if I deviated too much from the thread topic! :unsure:

Thanks Sr. MC and PJ for that info.  It's interesting how they've come to discern that they should be Trappists! 

Traditionally, for Benedictines and Trappists/tines, the Prayer of the Church, Liturgy and the Divine Office is Primary ( Ora et Labora). As such, the Liturgy is prayed by Choir 1 and alternating with Choir 2. Thus the choirs facing each other "across the choir" facilitates this traditional Monastic form of Prayer.

Edited by TIWW

I believe Chiqui mentioned this too...but, in all the years I've researched different Carmelite communities,

I've never found one that changed its charism like this. 

In response to Pia Jesu. Benedictines bow to each other and the altar in formal Procession (statio) for example on Feasts and First Vespers etc. They also always bow at the first part of the "Glory be to the Father". There are some rubrics which change from community to community per tradition. Any Benedictine or Trappistine Liturgy I have participated in however, there is always Procession for Sunday Liturgy, First Vespers and Feasts.

Sorry, Edit to add that that gesture is to honor / reverence the Presence of Christ in each other. It is not uncommon to see the Monastices give a slight bow of the head to each other in passing, rather than a greeting
(and in keeping with a silent, reflective atmosphere)or do both.

graciandelamadrededios

The Trappist and Trappistines are also known by "prostration on the knuckles" and I really don't know how its done.

genesisweavers

I've been following this post with great interest.  I have visited the monastery several times and I have also met the Prioress.  Since I am a Byzantine Catholic my church here in PA sells baked goods for the nuns twice a year - Christmas and Easter.  The stuff is excellent so everyone who knows about it anticipates the sale with enthusiasm.  We actually sell (from my church alone) quite a bit of their work. 

One idea that has been present to me recently is the renovation of their church.  Their little church isn't particularly Carmelite but it is definitely Byzantine.  And the lectures instead of choir stalls is the Byzantine monastic style.  There is also one lecturn in the center of the church where the psalms and reading are proclaimed.  This sytle is also used by the Bethlehem Monastic Family.  The question that has come up in my mind is - are they giving up their Byzantine style of liturgy? By the recent change to the Benedictine/Cistercian style choir stalls I am wondering what the liturgy is going to be at the monastery.  I have not seen the present renovations so I don't know if the all present Icons have disappeared.  Their church is literally full of hand painted fresco style Icons.  And of course the Cistercian style church is very unadorned and stark. 

But as we all have concluded - only the Nuns and God knows (and not sure about the Nuns) where this is all going. 

your brother

john