An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Does One Remain Fully Catholic While Watching T.v? .

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pax domini bretheren...
Quote: Fr Ken Barker, "I don't understand how you can remain a fully catholic and watch t.v."
Quote: Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye, " I agreed with fr.ken and chucked my t.v. out and wrote 'i am a blasphemous hore please clean me on the screen', and have had immense growth, my i.q. used to be like 93 and increased to 103 after 3 years no t.v. except the rare movie at a friends which usually i couldn't sit through,anyhow." I tried replacement therapy with occasional marijuana and pay day drunkardness,which i no longer do,so possibly in 3 more years without the replacement therapy i will increase to 110 hopefully. And that was all with little to no effort except chatting,reading the holy bible,prayer,the holy sacraments and meditating on the mysteries. I eventually ran dry though, coz recreational drug use and excess alcohol can't co-exist with the christ i suppose,so please pray for me that my rosary and discernment of the holy word increases again now that i hopefully have done away with my replacement therapy croutons,which i didn't do delibratly it's like i turned off the t.v. and all hell broke loose. And maybe you will see greater grammatical context in my posts. :) What does everyone think about t.v. though in general and probably i will still allow the odd movie if i can find any to my taste,even if religious movie i hopefully will only do like one on the weekend,oh and i hopefully will be allowed one hour of gaming on the sony but not daily hopefully.

God bless you all.
Onward christian souls.
JESUS is LORD.

St Benedict. "prefer nothing whatever to christ."

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1337493303' post='2432883']
Pax domini bretheren...
Quote: Fr Ken Barker, "I don't understand how you can remain a fully catholic and watch t.v."
[/quote]
Out of context, that sounds really stupid.

I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and have internet access.
I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and go to a bookstore.
I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and talk to all of the sinners in the world.

That's the catch to being a Christian, you've got be in the world, but not of it.

havok579257

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1337495331' post='2432892']
Out of context, that sounds really stupid.

I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and have internet access.
I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and go to a bookstore.
I don't understand how you can remain fully Catholic and talk to all of the sinners in the world.

That's the catch to being a Christian, you've got be in the world, but not of it.
[/quote]

given the fact that it may have been taken out of context, it is valid question. with all the shows that promote something sinful it is a valid question. once i saw a priest on ewtn talking about all the trash and turning off the tv because no matter what you say what you watch does effect you.

everyone always uses the excuse of "this doesn't effect me so watching it is ok". although just compare what people used to consider to racing 40 years ago compared today. so they question is if the stuff that we watch is unexceptable 40 years ago, then what makes it ok today? changing morals? i mean how many shows on basic tv show women in their bra and panties, yet in the past people would not have allowed that on tv.

it seems to come down to people being to attached to their tvs and being unable/unwilling to stop watching programs that we know are not good for us. sure there are good programs out their such as ewtn or sports, although i would venture a guess most people don't just watch ewtn or sports. i would venture a guess their tv watching includes morethan that.

AccountDeleted

God gave you a discriminating mind, use it. There are good TV shows and bad ones just as there are good books and bad ones.

If TV is a problem for you, then read a (good) book, but don't put the blame on an electronic medium for your weakness. Take responsibility for your choices and choose wisely.

'God made wine to cheer man's heart' but an alcoholic can't have even one drink. Know your own limitations and live within them.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1337499264' post='2432900']
given the fact that it may have been taken out of context, it is valid question. with all the shows that promote something sinful it is a valid question. once i saw a priest on ewtn talking about all the trash and turning off the tv because no matter what you say what you watch does effect you.

everyone always uses the excuse of "this doesn't effect me so watching it is ok". although just compare what people used to consider to racing 40 years ago compared today. so they question is if the stuff that we watch is unexceptable 40 years ago, then what makes it ok today? changing morals? i mean how many shows on basic tv show women in their bra and panties, yet in the past people would not have allowed that on tv.
[/quote]
40 years ago was 1972. Not exactly an era known for its traditional and conservative mores.

Vincent Vega

National Airlines debuted their "Fly Me" campaign in 1971.
[img]http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5921/205348.jpg[/img]
The series features a series of women saying "I'm [i]n[/i]. Fly me."

How about these demure and burqad ladies from a Southwest ad that aired on television in (you guessed it) 1972:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnqnyzegfc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnqnyzegfc[/url]

Or a motion picture inspired by this new wave of airline advertisements:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN8njRW9JI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN8njRW9JI&feature=related[/url]
The plot to that one seems absolutely [i]riveting.[/i]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Baloney, you don't like to much chedder so you better not even be eating cheez. :P Why do so many people i bring this up with defend the t.v. like it where there spouse, i tell you the t.v. is not your spouse,married or not. But i wan't to debate this, I think there needs to be scientific study of the effects of excess t.v. watching on the brain and as to whether since it's introduction there has been an increase in dementia,alziemers,parkinsons and such terminal brain illnesses. Bring it on pepper cakes, i got some sour cream(no pun or direction intended but seems you all like to play let Tea-Bear play too,i will play nice if you do too).

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1337499264' post='2432900']

it seems to come down to people being to attached to their tvs and being unable/unwilling to stop watching programs that we know are not good for us. sure there are good programs out their such as ewtn or sports, although i would venture a guess most people don't just watch ewtn or sports. i would venture a guess their tv watching includes morethan that.
[/quote]

I all but gave away my position fortunately or unfortunately i don't know. So what was the priests name and what segment was it in? And is this a trick to say i watch t.v. Be warned the holy bible says a mans heart is tested by the Lord if this is your intentions and if not no pun intended anyway. When it comes to ewtn i limit my viewing time anyway to like an hour, and i prefer the ewtn radio because it is less of a concentration camp and i don't wish to use up so much intense dedication to the t.v. and loose my prayer life and charity, unsure what the charity zapometre would level the excess consumption of television at, but of course there are exceptions to the rule like invalids,elderly,retarded,terminal illness,brain injuries, amongst a few other serious illness,possibly suicidal in there too but unsure about that,oh another possible would be location isolation and those in jail. Same for gaming time. I have limited gaming time also to a marathon possibly once a week or a few 1 hour bashes at it in a week, but than i can go some amount of time a week or two with either t.v. or gaming.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1337493303' post='2432883']
Pax domini bretheren...

[/quote]
So I shouldn't watch David Attenborough Doco's and marvel at creation, because I might become an atheist?
What about watching Dawkins make a fool of himself on QandA?

PhuturePriest

There's plenty of good Priests and Religious who watch secular shows. Some shows/movies go overboard and you should not watch, I agree, but chucking your television out is extreme unless your situation calls for it. In my scrupulous days I asked a very traditional and holy Priest about it. I told him I had a three strike rule, and that if a show/comedian said or had three inappropriate jokes or something else not suitable I would turn it off. I asked him if I should turn it off before then or if this was okay, and he said this was a very good rule, and he recommended that if an episode of a show was completely based around sex that it would be best to do something else. I think we all need to find our balance, really. Sometimes if there is mild vulgar jokes and it is not the center-point of the show or scene I will not count it in my own good judgment. This is not wrong nor sinful, but what I think is reasonable. Remember: It is not the television that is evil. Rather, it is how carried away we ourselves get. Obviously watching Girls Gone Wild is a bad idea, but in my most humble opinion watching Everybody Loves Raymond with a few minor sexual jokes from time to time is not too big of a deal.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1337502039' post='2432906']
40 years ago was 1972. Not exactly an era known for its traditional and conservative mores.
[/quote]

Except on TV :) this was the top 20 shows: All in the Family, Marcus Wllby, Flip Wilson, Gunsmoke, ABC movie of the week, Sanford and Son, Mannix, Funny Face, Adam 12, Mary Tyler Moore, Hawaii 5-O, Here's Lucy, Medical Center, NBC Mystery Movie, Bonanza, Ironsides, Partridge Family,the FBI, the Johnsonville brat Van nice lady Show, and Walt Disney

You can't get more conservative than that, and cable was NOT a presence in the U.S. Most of these shows were not on til 9-10 pm after the kids were in bed.

Basilisa Marie

Hmm, I think as lay people we're called to participate in our culture and try to transform it. Obviously there are terrible problems with standards of network television and whatnot, but we're called to try and find the good in it and push for more of that. For example, Stephen Colbert is far from a perfect Catholic, but knowing what other shows air on Comedy Central, the fact that he can get his crowd to cheer for a priest quoting Pope Benedict is fantastic. I love Doctor Who, but some of the episodes take a crack at God or organized religion because that's the culture the writers are in. But it's also very easy to see how the characters on the show parallel the call and response of a disciple, and how they're transformed into better people for knowing this amazing person, and then they go out and make their own worlds a better place because of it.

There's a lot to be said for self-censoring what you and your family watches on tv. But it'd be a shame to just write off everything unilaterally.

havok579257

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1337875343' post='2434412']
Hmm, I think as lay people we're called to participate in our culture and try to transform it. Obviously there are terrible problems with standards of network television and whatnot, but we're called to try and find the good in it and push for more of that. For example, Stephen Colbert is far from a perfect Catholic, but knowing what other shows air on Comedy Central, the fact that he can get his crowd to cheer for a priest quoting Pope Benedict is fantastic. I love Doctor Who, but some of the episodes take a crack at God or organized religion because that's the culture the writers are in. But it's also very easy to see how the characters on the show parallel the call and response of a disciple, and how they're transformed into better people for knowing this amazing person, and then they go out and make their own worlds a better place because of it.

There's a lot to be said for self-censoring what you and your family watches on tv. But it'd be a shame to just write off everything unilaterally.
[/quote]

please don't defend colbert on here as a good example of a catholic. i see alot of people in here do it. just because he mentions his catholic faith in a positive light some times does not excuse the other things he does on his show. if anything his show brings a negative view of catholics to the general public. yeah he's catholic and he puts that out there but the way he acts on his show isnot catholic and it makes people think wrongly about the way a catholic should act.