An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gays In Military

dairygirl4u2c

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

Well, I personally think they can be, so long as they're not obnoxious about it (Those gay pride parades really are annoying), and so long as there isn't any inappropriate behavior going on between soldiers. I mean, I cannot personally think of one reason why a gay man that has "come out of the closet" should be unable to protect his country. This is his country just as much as it is ours and he has every right to defend it if he wants. I haven't thought much about it, though, so I haven't had time to form my opinion on it 100%. These are just my thoughts right off the bat. Perhaps someone else can tell me more about it and the possible consequences?

I'm not gay so I don't know what it is like to be be Gay. But, [i]being[/i] Gay is no reason to turn someone away from military service.

Personally I think that if there is a Sexually active Gay who is open with it and doesn't have one partner, I see trouble in letting them in the military only because they could be focusing on things besides being a soldier (if you get my drift).

Homosexuality is not natural, therefore it must be a chemical imbalance. I think it should be treated as such and people shouldn't discriminate against Gays but they also shouldn't treat them like they have no issues. Just like anxiety (which runs in my family btw) I feel like Homosexual people should receive treatment to alleviate their suffering. The problem is those who believe what I do get labeled as homophobes because we think differently than the pro gay rights people.If homosexuality [i]is[/i] a medical condition it is only the public's fault for not acknowledging and trying to help Gay people. I read a statistic on [u]Catholic answers[/u] which said that only 2% of sexually active Gay men live to be 50. I don't think we should condemn them to a life of suffering and spiritual loss because of pubic ignorance.

So while I don't think we should turn gays away from the military, I think it would be better if we found a cure for homosexuality or in the very least refer them to therapy. Not because we are being "intolerant" but because we are promoting healthy life styles and happiness for all. We should love all people like ourselves and I know if I had homosexual feelings I would want to be released from the Chains which it comes with.

dairygirl4u2c

i actually kinda meant to ask.... "should gays be allowed to serve even if they are silent about the issue".
when clinton passed "dont ask don't tell", there was uproar by conservatives that even if they didn't tell, they shouldn't be allowed. which i guess means the mlitary would ask and reject anyone homosexual. i guess i'm not sure how many percentage wise were against it for that reason.... but i'm guessing that yes times have changed even for conservatives.
i was curious if the times have changed or not. but by the looks of the poll, most here at the usually conservative board would allow them to serve even if they aren't silent about it.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1337808118' post='2434088']
I'm not gay so I don't know what it is like to be be Gay. But, [i]being[/i] Gay is no reason to turn someone away from military service.

Personally I think that if there is a Sexually active Gay who is open with it and doesn't have one partner, I see trouble in letting them in the military only because they could be focusing on things besides being a soldier (if you get my drift).

Homosexuality is not natural, therefore it must be a chemical imbalance. I think it should be treated as such and people shouldn't discriminate against Gays but they also shouldn't treat them like they have no issues. Just like anxiety (which runs in my family btw) I feel like Homosexual people should receive treatment to alleviate their suffering. The problem is those who believe what I do get labeled as homophobes because we think differently than the pro gay rights people.If homosexuality [i]is[/i] a medical condition it is only the public's fault for not acknowledging and trying to help Gay people. I read a statistic on [u]Catholic answers[/u] which said that only 2% of sexually active Gay men live to be 50. I don't think we should condemn them to a life of suffering and spiritual loss because of pubic ignorance.

So while I don't think we should turn gays away from the military, I think it would be better if we found a cure for homosexuality or in the very least refer them to therapy. Not because we are being "intolerant" but because we are promoting healthy life styles and happiness for all. We should love all people like ourselves and I know if I had homosexual feelings I would want to be released from the Chains which it comes with.
[/quote]

1) Oh, I "catch you drift" alright. But that's pretty beaver dam insulting. Gay men who choose to join the military aren't going to let any passing sexual thought distract them from their mission. In the same way that you don't want to mount every male you encounter, they don't feel the need to fantasize about everyone around them either.

2) Gayness doesn't need to be "cured."
[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1337804013' post='2434064']
Well, I personally think they can be, so long as they're not obnoxious about it (Those gay pride parades really are annoying), and so long as there isn't any inappropriate behavior going on between soldiers. I mean, I cannot personally think of one reason why a gay man that has "come out of the closet" should be unable to protect his country. This is his country just as much as it is ours and he has every right to defend it if he wants. I haven't thought much about it, though, so I haven't had time to form my opinion on it 100%. These are just my thoughts right off the bat. Perhaps someone else can tell me more about it and the possible consequences?
[/quote]

Hello old friend. Sad to find myself agreeing with you once again. I'll have to just pick on Thess instead :)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337834898' post='2434274']
1) Oh, I "catch you drift" alright. But that's pretty beaver dam insulting. Gay men who choose to join the military aren't going to let any passing sexual thought distract them from their mission. In the same way that you don't want to mount every male you encounter, they don't feel the need to fantasize about everyone around them either.

2) Gayness doesn't need to be "cured."

Hello old friend. Sad to find myself agreeing with you once again. I'll have to just pick on Thess instead :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, this is the greatest day ever. :P

I defy one of you to come up with 5 good reasons why gays shouldn't be in the military that doesn't involve the words "gravely disordered," "unnatural," and "they'll want to have sex with their fellow soldiers."

Edited by kujo

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337835212' post='2434281']
I defy one of you to come up with 5 good reasons why gays shouldn't be in the military that doesn't involve the words "gravely disordered," "unnatural," and "they'll want to have sex with their fellow soldiers."
[/quote]

Well, I can see an argument for the last claim, but that is a double-edged sword since women are also allowed to join the military because of those pesky feminists, so soldiers having sex with each other is a problem either way.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1337835336' post='2434286']
...so soldiers having sex with each other is a problem either way.
[/quote]

Didn't seem to bother the Spartans, the Romans, the Athenians, etc.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337835538' post='2434287']
[/quote]

Double post.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337835538' post='2434287']
[/quote]

To be fair, each of those nations/townships went skyrocketing into the ground.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337835212' post='2434281']
[/quote]

I accept your challenge.

It is ravely isordered, nnatural, they'll want to have ex with their ellow oldiers, it's sodomy, and it's unprofessional.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1337835846' post='2434289']
To be fair, each of those nations/townships went skyrocketing into the ground.
[/quote]

A) Can you skyrocket downward?

B) Are you suggesting that male soldiers having sex with each other is somehow related to the demise of those empires? By that logic, couldn't it also be said these empires were built by gay sex and violence?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1337836031' post='2434293']
A) Can you skyrocket downward?

B) Are you suggesting that male soldiers having sex with each other is somehow related to the demise of those empires? By that logic, couldn't it also be said these empires were built by gay sex and violence?
[/quote]

You can if you fly upwards and then slowly tip forward in a gravity-like fashion.

No I am not. I am simply making an observation. I am very sorry to disappoint you with that, but it seems we agree more than we disagree. :P

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Okay here is my two cents.

I have openly gay family members. Just because they are gay doesn't mean that I love them any less. They are still people with feelings, goals, and values. I have gay friends who happen to be some of the best friends a person could ask for. Being gay doesn't mean that they are bad people. Just like a scenario when someone has premarital sex or has done drugs, the person realizes they did wrong, and reconciled. Just because they have made choices that aren't of God doesn't mean that we can condemn them, condemning them only turns them further away from the truth and the love of Christ. I also have gay/lesbian friends who are faithful Catholics and abide by the teachings of the church. But there's something that all of us need to remember, and that's the fact that even though as humans we sin, there is nothing that can separate us sinners from the love that God has for us. But it is our responsibility to reconcile with Christ. But the point of the matter is, is that EVERYBODY, no matter what type of background or choices they have made, should be loved. Scripture says to love one another, even our enemies, regardless of personal beliefs. Christ commanded us to LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

That being said, yes I do think that gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve in the military. One of my lesbian family members is serving in the military in the Coast Guard, and without the military she wouldn't be where she's at right now. She's been very successful and she is not one bit distracted from her sexuality in her job. She's currently going through the process to become a Physician's assistant for the military. Her private life is completely separate and does not inhibit her one bit.

Groo the Wanderer

When I was in the military, I wanted the guys in the trenches to have my back, not my backside. sorry.