An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Swimwear...

Annie12

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338168347' post='2436027']
I personally do not like two-pieces or bikinis in general. They're highly immodest. Plus, your exposed skin actually attracts the human eye because it is normally lighter and its color is more striking, especially when you have sunscreen on and are in the sun. To me it's a bit ironic to basically wear nothing and then complain everyone is staring at you. If I walked in the street with no shirt on I would fully expect everyone to stare at me. I don't think you are a terrible person for wearing this type of clothing ,but I do want you to know that it will attract attention if you wear it and it is not particularly because all men are pigs, but rather it screams for attention in the first place.
[/quote]

FP, discussing modesty, sexual attraction, and the roles and responsibilities men and women have in this area...

[img]http://files.sharenator.com/joker11_AND_HERE_WE_GO-s259x194-138013-580.jpg[/img]

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338168347' post='2436027'] If I walked in the street with no shirt on I would fully expect everyone to stare at me.
[/quote]

Probably not, sorry to disappoint you.

homeschoolmom

Wow... summer already? Time for the annual "What type of swimsuit should women wear?" thread.

Target's website sells some good pieces. I got a nice swimdress from there. I know it's super hard to find suits that fit, flatter, and keep you looking classy. Here's the link. [url="http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?tcin=13944473&keywords=mossimo+swimdress"]http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?tcin=13944473&keywords=mossimo+swimdress[/url] On me, the skirt part falls down more (even with my gimungo hips) to cover past the bikini bottom area. Like a mini skirt. Happy swimming :)

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1338169811' post='2436062']
Your thread is not ridiculous! :) If someone is hurt by your statements then they have bigger problems! :)

It's hard to be a woman in today's society... just buying something to wear is a challenge let alone finding something that will conform to everyone's standards of modesty. You pointed out that you have a different body type - it's great that you realize that and know what you can wear and what you can't... none of it was silly! I've seen a lot of modesty gone wrong because people don't know what areas to minimize and what areas they don't need to worry about... so... Don't let your heart be troubled! :)

Anyway, if you don't mind getting a sister's advice on bathing suits... Lands End sells really nice plain one piece or tankini (the type that cover everything) suits. You can get them at Sears. They are a little bit expensive but there are sales... like probably this weekend. If you get one of them you can always add on a skirt or shorts separate that has some flair to it. If you get a solid colored one piece you could get neon green shorts... or something crazy fun like that, whatever you like! :)

Don't be troubled... God knows your heart and that you are doing your best!
[/quote]
Thanks for this! I doubt I can get to sears and have enough money to buy a top before this weekend but great suggestions! I have some shorts I will wear but my "frumpy" bathing suit covers up my collar bone and leaves exposed my legs.It also has horizontal stripes in neutral colors. I feel old in this suit and just wanted to wear something "younger". Unfortunately, that means exposing yourself to an uncomfortable degree. I wish I could get the best of both worlds without having to pay for another suit.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I got a really cute swim dress about 2 years ago at Sears. Totally worth it. Lands End is great too. I already said where I bought my current one, so yeah. :) Have fun!!

I was almost going to buy a swim dress last season but it was zebra stripes and my mom didn't like it. ( I thought it was cute) :hehe2:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338169318' post='2436048']
And not every woman has to conform to what you think is modest.
[/quote]

You are right. We have to conform to what Christ considers modest.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1338171148' post='2436081']
Wow... summer already? Time for the annual "What type of swimsuit should women wear?" thread.
[/quote]
I heart you, hsmom.

You are under no obligation to dress modest to suit the "needs" of overly sexually repressed people who become aroused at the sight of a shapely pear, or when a gust of summer wind passes them.

Dress how you feel is right, according to how modest you think you should be. Believe me, there will always be some weirdo who "cant help himself" from ogling, whether you are in a tankini or a parka. Jesus left it up to them to police their own lust, you are not responsible.

tl:dr, tankinis and bikini bottoms/boyshorts look really good without showing too much. Haters gonna hate.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='PapistWyf' timestamp='1338172178' post='2436103']You are right. We have to conform to what Christ considers modest.[/quote]

Do u have his latest op-ed? ;)
(I am just joking. :) )

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1338173216' post='2436122']
You are under no obligation to dress modest to suit the "needs" of overly sexually repressed people who become aroused at the sight of a shapely pear, or when a gust of summer wind passes them.

Dress how you feel is right, according to how modest you think you should be. Believe me, there will always be some weirdo who "cant help himself" from ogling, whether you are in a tankini or a parka. Jesus left it up to them to police their own lust, you are not responsible.

tl:dr, tankinis and bikini bottoms/boyshorts look really good without showing too much. Haters gonna hate.
[/quote]

This post is like a gust of warm summer wind.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338173286' post='2436124']

Do u have his latest op-ed? ;)
(I am just joking. :) )
[/quote]

I've got one on my shelf. It'a called Bible, The.

(Do I even have to say that I'm kidding here?)

[quote name='PapistWyf' timestamp='1338172178' post='2436103']
You are right. We have to conform to what Christ considers modest.
[/quote]

I ran out of props. So props to you.