An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Rant

MonjaFutura

truthfinder

I haven't read all the responses, but I definitely suggest making spiritual communions. Obviously not a sacramental communion but you would receive some of the spiritual benefits.

While it is obviously better for any practicing Catholic to attend Mass more than "the absolute permissible minimum", i remember my childhood next door neighbors, an ITalian family, only going to church at Christmas and Easter. They claimed that twice yearly Confession and Communion kept them "in good standing with Rome". Is this correct?

As noted, in rural areas it is not uncommon to have to wait a long time until a priest visits. Surely there is an order of prayer that can be undertaken on a regular basis privately (such as sayng the Rosary) when it impossible to get to Mass? Not the best solution, but a workable compromise, no? (as well as spiritual reading)

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1339080646' post='2442161']
While it is obviously better for any practicing Catholic to attend Mass more than "the absolute permissible minimum", i remember my childhood next door neighbors, an ITalian family, only going to church at Christmas and Easter. They claimed that twice yearly Confession and Communion kept them "in good standing with Rome". Is this correct?
[/quote]

It is a mortal sin for a Catholic to deliberately not attend Mass on a Sunday or another holy day of obligation (special feasts). Of course, for a sin to be mortal the person has to a.) be fully aware that they're doing something wrong and b.) freely choose to do it anyway, and from your description it sounds as though the family didn't understand. They must have heard that to receive Holy Communion and make confession at Christmas and Easter is the recommended bare minimum for [i]receiving the sacraments[/i] - and not worked out that even if you don't receive Communion, your backside still has to be on that pew every Sunday. ;)

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1339081123' post='2442164']

It is a mortal sin for a Catholic to deliberately not attend Mass on a Sunday or another holy day of obligation (special feasts). Of course, for a sin to be mortal the person has to a.) be fully aware that they're doing something wrong and b.) freely choose to do it anyway, and from your description it sounds as though the family didn't understand. They must have heard that to receive Holy Communion and make confession at Christmas and Easter is the recommended bare minimum for [i]receiving the sacraments[/i] - and not worked out that even if you don't receive Communion, your backside still has to be on that pew every Sunday. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. In point of fact, these were highly educated people, who had gone to parochial schools as chilren; they simply weren't devout.

MonjaFutura

Thanks for the multitude of prayers and advice! It's been 5 months, so my fervency gradually deteriorated. I was still praying and at least trying to maintain my relationship with God on my part for a while but it all fell apart about a month ago, when my parents started all-out yelling at me over my vocation and then, a couple weeks ago, I found out that the only reason why we haven't been to Mass is because of my discernment. I'm trying to get back now and your prayers will definitely help that. Sneaking out or running away aren't really options so I appreciate other advice, like praying and reading the Bible, etc. Thanks especially to whoever posted the prayer for spiritual communions! Super helpful!!! It's nice to get such a wide variety of opinions, too!

[quote name='MonjaFutura' timestamp='1339095068' post='2442236']
Thanks for the multitude of prayers and advice! It's been 5 months, so my fervency gradually deteriorated. I was still praying and at least trying to maintain my relationship with God on my part for a while but it all fell apart about a month ago, when my parents started all-out yelling at me over my vocation and then, a couple weeks ago, I found out that the only reason why we haven't been to Mass is because of my discernment. I'm trying to get back now and your prayers will definitely help that. Sneaking out or running away aren't really options so I appreciate other advice, like praying and reading the Bible, etc. Thanks especially to whoever posted the prayer for spiritual communions! Super helpful!!! It's nice to get such a wide variety of opinions, too!
[/quote]

This may seem like a really strange idea, but would they go to Mass without you? I realise that's kind of counter-intuitive to your overall aim but bear with me. If you can get them to attend Mass again and become more practicing, just think of the graces they will receive! Even just receiving the Eucharist again could be transformative. If they can start going regularly again then you can later move on to them allowing you to come as well. It's not an instant fix but then again there isn't a really one for your situation.

Edited by EmilyAnn

MonjaFutura

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1339095308' post='2442238']
This may seem like a really strange idea, but would they go to Mass without you? I realise that's kind of counter-intuitive to your overall aim but bear with me. If you can get them to attend Mass again and become more practicing, just think of the graces they will receive! Even just receiving the Eucharist again could be transformative. If they can start going regularly again then you can later move on to them allowing you to come as well. It's not an instant fix but then again there isn't a really one for your situation.
[/quote]
That's a good idea, actually! I'll have to talk to them about that one.

Monja,

You could pray the divine office, if you have a computer too. They have daily recordings of it here.

http://divineoffice.org/

AveMariaPurissima

You could read the daily Mass readings. Devotionals like Magnificat and One Bread One Body are good resources too.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MonjaFutura' timestamp='1339099082' post='2442255']
Any other prayer suggestions, anyone? They are really useful!
[/quote]

I don't remember if someone else has posted the website, but you could use [url="http://www.savior.org"]www.savior.org[/url] to adore Christ in the Eucharist through the internet. It's not as good as in person, but it may help.

Pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet each day. EWTN has a beautiful 3pm program to help pray the Chaplet and they have the rosary during different parts of the day. Check your TV schedule to see when it airs. You can also watch it online if you have DSL. They have dial-up, too, but I found it to be too slow.

I second AveMariaPurissima's suggestion of devotionals. [i]The Word Among Us[/i] is another devotional and has daily meditations to go along with the Mass readings.

Watch religious movies like the [b]Passion[/b] or [b]Nativity Story[/b]. I think [b]The Gospel of John[/b], narrated by Christopher Plummer is a great movie because it is word for word from the Bible and it seemingly makes the book come alive.

Strictlyinkblot

You could watch mass online. When I'm working nights I go to www.rednuns.com They have mass broadcasted live every weekday at 5:45pm GMT, at 9am on Saturday and 9:30am on Sunday. They also broadcast the Divine Office live. Depending on where you live you'll have to figure out what time that'll be for you. Or watch it on EWTN as already suggested

I will pray for you. You're in a very difficult situation. Be kind to yourself

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

It is also good that you are being challenged in your decision, because this is making you think, and when we think it is an opportunity to grow closer to God and to test the truth of our presumptions and motives.

God is God. He can call us whenever he wants and we can always be sure that in calling us he is seeking what is best for us. His is always the best time-table, and God will not be thwarted. As long as your decision is based on your love for Jesus and you know that following him is not always going to be easy yet you are willing to "drink the chalice that he drank" it is a good beginning.

As regards God and his will, in your case you need to take one very important point into account: next year you will be only 17 and so still a minor, and as long as you are underage God wants you to obey your parents. So, if they were to withhold their permission you would have to see in that a sign of his will. (Imagine the responsibility that places on your parents' shoulders, so pray for them. Don't pray that they do what you want but just ask Jesus and the Holy Spirit to guide them because you are going to accept their decision as God's will.)

When I wanted to be a priest my mother was deeply opposed. I wanted to enter the Diocesan seminary at the end of school which in Australia is the age of 12. My mother steadfastly refused. Now my parents were practising Catholics indeed my mother did secretarial work for the parish priest. In my time you were not considered an adult until you were 21 years old. I was sure I was being called to the priesthood so I wrote to the Archbishop of Sydney who at the time was Cardinal Gilroy. He had known my father when he was an assistant pastor. He wrote back to me saying :"Obedience to the will of your mother will always bring a greater blessing from God." I decided to wait until I was 21 so I got a job. Cut a long story short I entered the Capuchins aged 22 (my mother was still opposed so only accepted the reality 6 years after my ordination) and am very happy now I have been a Capuchin for 36 years and a priest 28. The Cardinal's words were prophetic.
Now I am not you but this is my story.