An Old School Catholic Message Board

(hopefully) One Last "advise Byz" Thread

Byzantine

For those of you just joining us as I show my incompetence (and for those of you who need a refresher), here's the scoop:

There's this girl I'd like to ask out. I've already missed several opportunities and now we're graduated seniors heading to different colleges, although neither is all that far from our hometown. So it looks like if I say anything, I have to conquer one of my bigger fears. Worse than her friends. Possibly worse than her father. It's awkward. It's unpleasant. It's - It's <Insert dramatic music here>

El Teléfono.

Et non habeo numerum eius (I tend to switch into other languages for things like this. I'm not entirely sure why).

So not only do I have to call her, I also have to get her number in the first place.

There are three ways I can see this happening:[list=1]
[*]Ask for it via email. I should email her anyway to see about getting her some pictures we ended up in together at my graduation party. Would it be weird to send an email like "Will you or any of your family be at the place I work at in the near future (it's an extremely realistic possibility) so I could hand the pictures off to you?" and add "Can I have your cell #?" at the end?
[*]Ask for it at her graduation party. We're friends, and I happened to be invited, so I suppose I could ask for it all razzle dazzle like.
[*]Unlikely event happening. This is more two scenarios, but they're both pretty unlikely.
[list=1]
[*]Ask for it at a mutual friend's graduation party. Unlikely for multiple reasons.
[*]Run into her somewhere else unplanned. Unlikely because it hasn't occurred before and undesirable because, as you have probably figured out by this thread, I like to have things planned.
[/list]
[/list]
So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance Pham! and thanks to all the people who've answered these threads before.

eagle_eye222001

Don's ask via email.........email may be good for many things........not this. It looks lazy.....timid.... ungentlemanly...etc

Definitely number 2. I would bet the chips on this because it's in person, and it's a nearly guaranteed event to occu that you will have a decent opportunity to ask. Make sure you ask before your running out the door though......it's bad enough you've missed earlier opportunities.....but make sure it comes up naturally when you talk to her within an hour or so of getting to the party.

_______

If this was movie.....option 3.2 definitely.....and it would appear unplanned......but in reality it would be all planned out. Harder to execute.......but more fun. Of course the logistics of knowing where she is and happening to be in the same place can be a challenge.

:crusader2:

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1339723560' post='2444826']
Don's ask via email.........email may be good for many things........not this. It looks lazy.....timid.... ungentlemanly...etc

Definitely number 2. I would bet the chips on this because it's in person, and it's a nearly guaranteed event to occu that you will have a decent opportunity to ask. Make sure you ask before your running out the door though......it's bad enough you've missed earlier opportunities.....but make sure it comes up naturally when you talk to her within an hour or so of getting to the party.

_______

If this was movie.....option 3.2 definitely.....and it would appear unplanned......but in reality it would be all planned out. Harder to execute.......but more fun. Of course the logistics of knowing where she is and happening to be in the same place can be a challenge.

[/quote]

Yes, stalking people is challenging. Though if you can follow her on Facebook it'll be really easy to stalk her.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1339724349' post='2444830']
Yes, stalking people is challenging. Though if you can follow her on Facebook it'll be really easy to stalk her.
[/quote]

Who said anything about stalking?????

This is partaking of The Patriotic Surveillance Act........authorized by big government in the name of national security.

Some children's heroes are firefighters, and police. Others are recon drones!

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1339724952' post='2444840']
Who said anything about stalking?????

This is partaking of The Patriotic Surveillance Act........authorized by big government in the name of national security.

Some children's heroes are firefighters, and police. Others are recon drones!
[/quote]

I always knew my hero would be a heartless machine controlled by a faceless unelected bureaucrat. Yayyyyy! :)

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1339723560' post='2444826']

[/quote]
[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1339724349' post='2444830']
[/quote]

Umm... No Facebook. Another problem.

And yeah, stalking is not a good idea.

I'm on my iPod so I can't give a full response, but say you'd like to keep in touch, and give HER your number. Then the ball is in her court.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1339732052' post='2444896']
I'm on my iPod so I can't give a full response, but say you'd like to keep in touch, and give HER your number. Then the ball is in her court.
[/quote]

Thanks! We've expressed our wanting to keep in touch a few times, so I suppose I could be like "we've said this before, so could I have your number?"

Or, would this work in an email:

"So I think I lost the invitation to your party (seriously, I might have). Would you mind emailing your address to me or text it? (insert number)"

That way there's the problem of me looking like a fool, but it also gives her more room to choose whether or not to use phones.

PhuturePriest

Hm... This seems like something I would like to throw my weight in (Or lack thereof.), but unfortunately I must go to bed and this will take at least ten minutes for me to think through, write, edit, edit some more, make sure I do not look like I am acting as if I have experience in this field, and then finally post.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1339825721' post='2445298']
Is this still going on?
[/quote]

No. It is over. Thank you all for your patience, though.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1339958719' post='2445532']
No. It is over. Thank you all for your patience, though.
[/quote]

How did it go?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339959202' post='2445533']
How did it go?
[/quote]

It didn't. I realized that it wasn't too good of an idea. Sorry we ended up destroying your lab and bungee jumping off Mt. Kilimanjaro for nothing.