An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Priest... (or Brother)

NonNovi

PhuturePriest

What's a subdeacon? I mean, I've seen them at Mass once or twice, but I don't understand. What are they?

When you are in seminary, you must become a subdeacon before you become a deacon, and then you are ordained a Priest (Presuming you are in seminary to become a Priest and not a deacon by itself). A subdeacon is not ordained, but does simple tasks and assists in the Mass. Here is an answer from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

The subdiaconate is the lowest of the sacred or major orders in the Latin Church. It is defined as the power by which one ordained as a subdeacon may carry the chalice with wine to the altar, prepare the necessaries for the Eucharist, and read the Epistles before the people (Ferraris, op. cit., infra No. 40). According to the common opinion of theologians at present, the subdeaconship was not instituted by Christ. Nor are there sufficient grounds for maintaining that it had an Apostolic origin. There is no mention of the subdiaconate in Holy Scripture or in the authentic writings of the Apostolic Fathers. These authorities make reference only to bishops, priests, and deacons. At the Council of Benevento (A.D. 1091), Urban II says: "We call sacred orders the deaconship and priesthood, for we read that the primitive Church had only those orders" (Can. I). Gratian (Dist. 21) says: "In the course of time, the Church herself instituted subdeacons and acolytes". It is true that the Council of Trent (Sess. XXIII, cap. 17, de ref.) says that "The functions of Holy orders from the deaconship to the ostiariate were laudably sanctioned in the Church from the times of the Apostles"; but these words simply indicate that the "functions" were so exercised (that is as part of the diaconate); it was only in the course of time that they were separated from the office of deacon and committed to inferior ministers. This explains why some theologians (e.g. Thomassinus, p. I, lib. II, cap. xl) speak of the subdeaconate as of Divine institution, that is they look on it as made up of functions proper to deacons. Gasparri (op. cit. infra, I, No. 35) says: "The Church, in the institution [of the subdeaconship] proceeded thus. She wished to commit to others the inferior functions of the order of diaconate, both because the deacons, with the increase of the faithful, could not suffice for their many and grave duties, and because she wished that others, received among the clergy and marked with the clerical tonsure, should ascend through minor orders, only after trial, to major orders. Imitating the Divine Law of the first three grades (bishop, priest and deacon), she decreed that the power of performing these functions should be conferred by external rites similar to those by which major orders were bestowed."

Edited by FuturePriest387

ChristinaTherese

When you are in seminary, you must become a subdeacon before you become a deacon, and then you are ordained a Priest (Presuming you are in seminary to become a Priest and not a deacon by itself). A subdeacon is not ordained, but does simple tasks and assists in the Mass. Here is an answer from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

The subdiaconate is the lowest of the sacred or major orders in the Latin Church. It is defined as the power by which one ordained as a subdeacon may carry the chalice with wine to the altar, prepare the necessaries for the Eucharist, and read the Epistles before the people (Ferraris, op. cit., infra No. 40). According to the common opinion of theologians at present, the subdeaconship was not instituted by Christ. Nor are there sufficient grounds for maintaining that it had an Apostolic origin. There is no mention of the subdiaconate in Holy Scripture or in the authentic writings of the Apostolic Fathers. These authorities make reference only to bishops, priests, and deacons. At the Council of Benevento (A.D. 1091), Urban II says: "We call sacred orders the deaconship and priesthood, for we read that the primitive Church had only those orders" (Can. I). Gratian (Dist. 21) says: "In the course of time, the Church herself instituted subdeacons and acolytes". It is true that the Council of Trent (Sess. XXIII, cap. 17, de ref.) says that "The functions of Holy orders from the deaconship to the ostiariate were laudably sanctioned in the Church from the times of the Apostles"; but these words simply indicate that the "functions" were so exercised (that is as part of the diaconate); it was only in the course of time that they were separated from the office of deacon and committed to inferior ministers. This explains why some theologians (e.g. Thomassinus, p. I, lib. II, cap. xl) speak of the subdeaconate as of Divine institution, that is they look on it as made up of functions proper to deacons. Gasparri (op. cit. infra, I, No. 35) says: "The Church, in the institution [of the subdeaconship] proceeded thus. She wished to commit to others the inferior functions of the order of diaconate, both because the deacons, with the increase of the faithful, could not suffice for their many and grave duties, and because she wished that others, received among the clergy and marked with the clerical tonsure, should ascend through minor orders, only after trial, to major orders. Imitating the Divine Law of the first three grades (bishop, priest and deacon), she decreed that the power of performing these functions should be conferred by external rites similar to those by which major orders were bestowed."

Thanks!

When you are in seminary, you must become a subdeacon before you become a deacon, and then you are ordained a Priest (Presuming you are in seminary to become a Priest and not a deacon by itself). A subdeacon is not ordained, but does simple tasks and assists in the Mass.

When you are in seminary now, you don't become a subdeacon anymore. It was one of the maior orders (you had 4 minor and 3 maior orders) before Vatican II, just before being ordained deacon. A seminarian had to go through the 7 "ordinations" to become a priest. Exorcist was also a minor order, so all priests ordained before Vatican II are exorcists.

In traditional seminaries of TLM exclusive communities, it's still administered. Because at TLM it's still a real function. But only at Solemn High Masses, where you need a priest, a deacon and a subdeacon. As the artikel said, subdeacons have the right to touch the sacred vessels, to help preparing the chalice and to sing the epistle.

The one on the right is the subdeacon in this picture.

dsc_0246.jpg

Byzantine

-When old ladies open conversations with "Are you training to be a priest?" or something like that and you have to explain that the answer's both yes and no...

Edited by Byzantine

PhuturePriest

- When you like a girl and plan to go to college, and people ask if you are trying to run away from your vocation to the Priesthood...

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

technically only partially correct, subdeacons do not exist in the Novus Ordo...only in the Extraordinary Form.

- when people give you money, because "you will need to buy books and clothes!".

- when you're excited to see the Sisters again next weekend.

- when you think private Masses early in the morning are just magical.

Edited by NonNovi

• 1 month later...

OK, AnneLine will add a comment here:   I guess I'm gonna be a future priest.  (Gasp!)

Because one of the male Dominican novices keeps calling me 'Father Master'!

Well... no, I'm not seriously discerning that.... nor pushing for entrance to a seminary!

... and there is more to the story.... English is his second language, and he knows that "Father Master" is the right title for HIS novice master, and he knows I'm the novice director for the Secular Order....So he says I am the "Father Master".

he he he....

Edited by AnneLine