An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trisha's Multifarious Musings

xTrishaxLynnx

xTrishaxLynnx

Biting my nails over this game! Only up by 2 in my fantasy football matchup, and each of us only has 1 player to go - both currently playing and on the SAME team... Ugh! :covereyes: :beg:

A beer would make this so much better!

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1349152795' post='2489135']
Those things look so fragile - I'd be terrified I'd sit on it or something....
[/quote]

The tablets? These are the kinds without their own screen, where you just have it plugged in to your PC, just like a keyboard or something. It goes on top of your desk and most likely next to or in front of the keyboard, so just don't sit on your desk! :P

OK. I was visualizing the flimsy stand-alone things I have seen kids with..... I just can't imagine how little it would take to break those things....

• 3 weeks later...
xTrishaxLynnx

Stuff I want to do with the rest of today:

Finish creating my budget

Make dinner

Bake 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies

Help with sister's Bible class homework

Read [i]The Screwtape Letters[/i] in its entirety somewhere in between and after those other things

Watch Pushing Daisies if I get all that done before I get sleepy

xTrishaxLynnx

Well, I only got 50-something pages into The Screwtape Letters before falling asleep :blush: so I'm going to split it up a bit. I knew trying to read it all in one evening was a tall order, but I thought I'd try it because I'm in a hurry to move on to The Confessions of St. Augustine. I guess I can read [i]both[/i] rather than wait...

Have to get downstairs again to get dinner served and put the cookies in the oven, then I'll finish up my budget.

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1350591944' post='2494506']
I love Pushing Daisies but I haven't seen it in forever. It's like Tim Burton made a tv show.
[/quote]

It reminds me a lot of [i]Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events[/i] (the movie) in the way it was filmed and narrated. I love it so far. :)

All the ST letters in one sitting?.... Good grief!

All of the Confessions in one sitting? Double Good Grief!!!!

ST letters are like reading PM posts -- ideally give them a day or so to 'arrive' before the next one.... so the thoughts can percolate.

I do wonder what ST & Wormwood (and CSLewis!) would have done with email and social media!

I know one of the Carmelite Fathers suggested a few years ago that St. Teresa ought to be the patron saint of Email.... apparently she had a bad habit of writing hundreds of letters and then sending them POSTAGE DUE all over Spain!!!! And apparently her favorite letter writing time was middle of the night... yup, my kind of lady!

[url="http://livingscripture.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/teresa.jpg"][img]http://livingscripture.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/teresa.jpg?w=462&h=381[/img][/url]

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1350613405' post='2494649']
All the ST letters in one sitting?.... Good grief!

All of the Confessions in one sitting? Double Good Grief!!!!

ST letters are like reading PM posts -- ideally give them a day or so to 'arrive' before the next one.... so the thoughts can percolate.

I do wonder what ST & Wormwood (and CSLewis!) would have done with email and social media!

I know one of the Carmelite Fathers suggested a few years ago that St. Teresa ought to be the patron saint of Email.... apparently she had a bad habit of writing hundreds of letters and then sending them POSTAGE DUE all over Spain!!!! And apparently her favorite letter writing time was middle of the night... yup, my kind of lady!

[/quote]

Well, yes I was going to try to read all of the Screwtape Letters in one sitting, but I have decided against that now.

I was never going to read all of the Confessions though! Goodness, no... I just meant that I wanted to hurry with the first book so I could get to Confessions. I decided to read STL first because I have been wanting to read it for years and never got around to it and I'm afraid if I don't get it out of the way before I really dive into my reading list for the Year of Faith, I might not get to it for yet another year!

That's a funny story about St. Teresa! :smile3: I think she would make a fitting patron of online correspondence. I bet she would have found it handy. hehe I'm a lot more creative and less inhibited with my writing around this time, too. Some of my best papers were written in the late night / early morning hours.

That's how I made it thru grad school myself... those quiet, cool hours between midnight & 3 are perfect... provided one can get the sleep caught up another time!

STL would be a VERY good book to read during the Year of Faith... maybe think of them getting their email once a week or so.... so you read one letter and a response, think about it for the week... and then go to the next one... Yup, I would think that would work super-well...... just a thought....