An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chick-fil-a Issue Thing

Annie12

It's supper messy and people are being really uncharitable towards each other. I don't know what to think... This kinda stuff makes be sad.
[quote]

[b] Is Chick-fil-A anti-gay marriage? 'Guilty as charged,' leader says[/b]

[left]By Tiffany Hsu[/left]

[left][color=#292727][size=3][color=#930000][size=2][i][color=#000000][font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]July 18, 2012[color=#FFFFFF][size=2], [/size][/color]9:27 a.m.[/font][/color][/i][/size][/color][/size][/color][/left]

[left]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Chick-fil-A is “very much supportive of the family,” according to Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain. That is, “the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said.
And that doesn’t include Adam and Steve, suggests Cathy, whose father S. Truett Cathy founded the Atlanta-based company.
In a new [url="http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271"]interview with Baptist Press[/url], Cathy puts on the record what critics say his company’s actions have indicated for years. “Well, guilty as charged,” he said in the interview when asked about Chick-fil-A’s backing of families led by a man and a woman.
“We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives,” Cathy said.
The chain, according to the report, has 1,608 restaurants, sales of more than $4 billion and employees who are trained “to focus on values rooted in the Bible.” Chick-fil-A's across the country shut down on Sundays.
“We don’t claim to be a Christian business," Cathy said. "But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles.”
Last year, protesters accused Chick-fil-A of supporting an anti-gay agenda with donations, which the company has steadily denied. The company could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.
[url="http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001"]A report[/url] from LGBT advocacy group Equality Matters concluded that Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million between 2003 and 2009 to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. In 2010 alone, the company gave nearly $2 million to such causes, according to the report.
In Los Feliz, similar donations from the new owner of a beloved local health food store also stirred controversy this fall. After Peter Lassen bought the neighborhood Nature Mart, many shoppers began to picket and boycott the business.
Blogger Howie Klein [url="http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2011/11/omg-mormon-homophobes-just-took-over-my.html"]summed up the reaction[/url] in a post, accusing Lassen, a Mormon, of donating tens of thousands of dollars toward “the anti-gay jihad.”
The post, however, also quotes Lassen’s niece defending the business: "We have a lot a gay and lesbian customers. We have nothing against them. To us, it is a moral issue, not a civil issue.”
But companies that embrace gay pride aren’t immune to debate. When [url="http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/consumer-goods-industries/food-industry/kraft-foods-inc.-ORCRP017279.topic"]Kraft[/url] posted a photo of an Oreo cookie with rainbow-hued filling last month, its profile on the social media site [url="http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-oreo-gay-pride-7cookie-reaction-20120626,0,6550055.htmlstory"]erupted in comments[/url] – not all of them flattering. [url="http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/jc-penney-company-inc.-ORCRP008424.topic"]J.C. Penney[/url] encountered similar resistance when it drafted lesbian [url="http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/television/ellen-degeneres-PECLB001334.topic"]Ellen DeGeneres[/url] as a spokeswoman.
As for Chick-fil-A, Cathy said the company’s leaders “intend to stay the course.”[/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]"We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles," he said.[/font][/color][/left]
[/quote]

Brother Adam

They are not "anti-gay", they are Christian. Unless they actually come out and say they hate people who act on their same-sex temptations, it is slander to accuse them of being anti-gay.

Marie-Therese

I might be going out on a limb here, but...

Am I the only person in the world who does not care, one way or another, what the sociopolitical choices of the owners of a particular fast food chain are? Chik-Fil-A is FREAKING DELICIOUS. I'd go to Chik-Fil-A if their owners were transvestite midgets who had a penchant for gargling bleach whilst singing the Star Spangled Banner in Pashto. People are free to donate their money to causes which they support. Similarly, I'm not one of these people who screams 'boycott' every single time I find out a company has given money to organizations which I disagree with. I'm going to spend my money on products I like. I'll give my money to charitable organizations and causes which I desire to support. I understand that companies spend their money as they desire. That is the nature of doing business in a capitalist market.

If people want to support Chik-Fil-A due to their political opinions, that's wonderful. If they want to avoid and/or boycott them for their political opinions, that's wonderful. As for me, I just want the flipping chicken sandwich and waffle fries. And the Chik-Fil-A sauce. BECAUSE IT'S GOOD.

Thank you for listening, please tip your waitress.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343259748' post='2458867']

Am I the only person in the world who does not care, one way or another, what the sociopolitical choices of the owners of a particular fast food chain are? Chik-Fil-A is FREAKING DELICIOUS. I'd go to Chik-Fil-A if their owners were transvestite midgets who had a penchant for gargling bleach whilst singing the Star Spangled Banner in Pashto. People are free to donate their money to causes which they support. Similarly, I'm not one of these people who screams 'boycott' every single time I find out a company has given money to organizations which I disagree with. I'm going to spend my money on products I like. I'll give my money to charitable organizations and causes which I desire to support. I understand that companies spend their money as they desire. That is the nature of doing business in a capitalist market.

If people want to support Chik-Fil-A due to their political opinions, that's wonderful. If they want to avoid and/or boycott them for their political opinions, that's wonderful. As for me, I just want the flipping chicken sandwich and waffle fries. And the Chik-Fil-A sauce. BECAUSE IT'S GOOD.

[/quote]

A-Fricking-Men!

and this pisses me off: [url="http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=33571"]http://www.catholicv...dex.php?p=33571[/url]

a comment there caught my eye: It's always nice when commenters prove your point, isn't it? Last I checked, mayors of cities were not supposed to refuse permits to companies based on the religious and moral beliefs of their CEOs. Voters in Chicago and Boston should be outraged.

Edited by Lil Red

carmenchristi

[/quote]

I've never heard of Chick-Fil-A... but I would hold the same opinion. BTW.. I was cracking up as I read your post!!! HAHHAAH

Well, what if it was the other way around? What if the place was donating to pro-Gay marriage groups, or worse yet, Planned Parenthood?

We would be all "up in arms" about it too, so the reaction by the secular world doesn't surprise me.

**Just playing Devils advocate here though! I totally agree with Marie-Therese and Lil Red** :)

On Facebook a relative wrote this rant about chick-Fill-A is filled with homophobes. I was shaking I was so upset! I felt like to cry. I commented on how sad that post made me feel. I just wish people could be more mature about this. I wish people wouldn't throw temper tantrums every time they don't get their way. Weather they like it or not, I am in control of my mind...NOT THEM! :crazy:

TheresaThoma

[/quote]
AMEN!

And those waffle fries yummmmmm.....

Vincent Vega

If I boycotted every company who donated to a cause I didn't agree with, I'd be naked, homeless, and starving to death.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1343262105' post='2458874']
Well, what if it was the other way around? What if the place was donating to pro-Gay marriage groups, or worse yet, Planned Parenthood?
[/quote]

Then I'd be forced to order the Spicy Chicken Sandwich deluxe combo with large waffle fries and extra gay.

To Jesus Through Mary

[/quote]

You make me want Chik-Fil-A and they don't have any in NYC!!.... They have the peach shake right now. yyyuuuummmmm Go have one for me... I can't even have a 20oz Soda :cry: Thanks a lot Bloomberg...

Suppose it is better for the hips... ;)

carmenchristi

Where can I find this Chick-Fil-A in NY???? I feel like I have been missing out on one of the essential food groups!

To be more on topic... I would certainly try to avoid/boycott a business that actively supported something like abortion, but it seems different when we are talking about life and death... Besides USAirways is right.... if we were to boycott everything we disagreed with, we'd have to become homesteaders, and even then it would be difficult!

I love being in the south because they have chik-fil-a and that makes me happy.

Also, living near Boston, I feel I must say that Menino is a blumbering doofus and this just got a whole lot more personal. Chik-fil-A is delicious. Why must I travel to the Mason-Dixie line to get deliciousness?