An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chick-fil-a Issue Thing

Annie12

fides' Jack

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343271386' post='2458921']
Chick-fil-a is amazingly delicious. But I'm not giving them any more money.
[/quote]

Haha - if I didn't know you weren't serious, this wouldn't be funny. :)

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343277910' post='2458965']
The problem isn't the personal religious views of the CEO. The problem is that the company is using its profits to back organizations that are actively working against gay rights.
[/quote]
There are special rights for gays?

The problem isn't the personal religious views of the CEO. The problem is that the company is using its profits to back organizations that are actively working against gay rights.
[/quote]

This is a privately owned company. Which means the family that owns the company can use the profits any way they see fit. This isn't publicly traded or supported by taxes. Here is the list of "anti-gay" organizations funded by the family that owns Chick a Fila[list]
[*]Marriage & Family Foundation: $1,188,380
[*]Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
[*]National Christian Foundation: $247,500
[*]New Mexico Christian Foundation: $54,000
[*]Exodus International: $1,000
[*]Family Research Council: $1,000
[*]Georgia Family Council: $2,500
[/list]
A cursory view of the organizations seems to show that they are as anti-gay as the Catholic Church, Evangelical Free Church, the Mormon Church, as well as the muslim faith. All of these should be banned by the Muppets and the mayors of Boston and Chicago should drive these institutions out of their towns. (Good luck Mayor Menino when you endeavor to chase out all the Catholic churches out of Beantown)

Now if someone could show me a truly anti-gay stance by any of these organizations supported by the Chick a Fila company, I'd be happy to protest them as well. However they all seem to advocate for promoting stronger families and marriage.

i have no problem with citizens organizing a boycott of a company that they don't like policies of, or what they do with their own darn money. I do have a problem with mayors of cities attempting to block businesses coming into their cities [b]based on[/b] what private companies do with their own darn money.

hasan is right - boycotts are a part of political action nowadays.

I'm not sure why more liberals aren't appalled by this. Imagine if a conservative mayor had said, "I won't allow Starbucks to set up shop here because of their position on gay marriage." Either situation is obviously un-American.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343263038' post='2458879']
Then I'd be forced to order the Spicy Chicken Sandwich deluxe combo with large waffle fries and extra gay.
[/quote]

As I said on Facebook, this response, and your initial tirade, had me in hysterics when I read it last night.

[/quote]

So what? You and everyone on here knows that whenever a gay rights issue is broached on Phatmass, I'm up for a fight with all the latent-homophobes. But this is just stupid to me. I couldn't give less of a croutons what this executive or that does with his/her money. I am sure we could find some pretty wild donations if we examined the tax forms of the people who run pretty much every company in the world (not to mention all the money they pay to strippers for "college tuition).

I don't see why people have to get so dramatic with this stuff. There's a difference between a boycott and a decision not to consume a product. If you don't like the way Chik-Fil-A is doing business, don't go there. Period. No need to publicize or make it into a passion play, where you are denying yourself something intrinsic so as to benefit the greater good. Boycotts are supposed to enact change. What, exactly, is the margin of error for "change" in this situation? Is this family going to all of a sudden change their minds and adopt a more rational and less bigoted POV on gay marriage? Are they going stop giving money to organizations they support? Are they going to sell Chik-Fil-A to wealthy members of PFLAG?

fides' Jack

I'm surprised it took this long.

I mean, seriously, what do these people expect from a company that is notorious mostly for one thing: being closed on Sunday.

This will probably help Chick-fil-A business, not hurt it. In this case, I think, even bad publicity is good publicity.

For the issue with the 2 not-so-fine mayors out there: let's just drop the heterophobia, already.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1343310328' post='2459002']
Now if someone could show me a truly anti-gay stance by any of these organizations supported by the Chick a Fila company, I'd be happy to protest them as well. However they all seem to advocate for promoting stronger families and marriage.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc[/url]

I think 8:40 pertains to this.

homeschoolmom

I love Chick-Fil-A and I eat there every chance I get. Unfortunately, that's not very often. :(

I don't like sweet tea, but they let me eat there anyway.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1343310328' post='2459002']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc[/url]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343319329' post='2459023']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc[/media]

[/quote]
Suggesting that homosexuals be jailed would be anti gay. If the Family Research Institute also stated that all extramarital sexual activities were also illegal, I would say they are equally against all sexual activity outside of marriage. However after digging deeper, they don't seem to have that stance.

I would not give money to that organization.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1343283334' post='2458985']
[img]http://thebza.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/american-psycho.jpg?w=460&h=300[/img]
[/quote]

Do what you want, even dUSt liked my post, so I can die happy now!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343285739' post='2458986']
I'm not a boy, I'm a man. I'm a big, strong man!
[/quote]

That's because you ate at Chic-Fil-A.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1343322800' post='2459041']
...so I can die happy now!
[/quote]

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease