An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chick-fil-a Issue Thing

Annie12

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1343323245' post='2459046']
Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease
[/quote]

Oh please can you get a like from dUSt? Unfortunately you're too phishy, and dUSt hates phish. Start being more chickeny and he'll talk.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343277910' post='2458965']
The problem isn't the personal religious views of the CEO. The problem is that the company is using its profits to back organizations that are actively working against gay rights.
[/quote]

I know companies that use thier profits to back organizations that are actively working against the right to life.

I don't care if you (and I am speaking generally here, not to you Hasan) don't support Chik-Fil-A. I don't support Komen or the Girl Scouts. I won't bash you about it if you don't bash me.

Edited to add, that if your mayor can protest against CFA, then mine can protest against Starbucks and Target. That's my entire opinion on the entire matter.

Edited by Tally Marx

Is it possible to voice stringent opposition to the opinions or statements of an individual without it being an example of "bashing," "slamming," or some other word meaning physical violence?

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1343324735' post='2459057']
Is it possible to voice stringent opposition to the opinions or statements of an individual without it being an example of "bashing," "slamming," or some other word meaning physical violence?
[/quote]

I only use the word to refer to those "stringent opinions" which themselves involve conveying the idea of physical violence.
The "homophobes like these should be systematically exterminated/run over by cars/put in mental institutions" comments on facebook don't sound very non-violent to me.

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1343325076' post='2459060']
I only use the word to refer to those "stringent opinions" which themselves involve conveying the idea of physical violence.
The "homophobes like these should be systematically exterminated/run over by cars/put in mental institutions" comments on facebook don't sound very non-violent to me.
[/quote]

I'm speaking generally about a phenomena that irks me endlessly (which is why I didn't respond [i]directly[/i] to you, instead posing a hypothetical question to the group as a whole), while you're speaking to people on a phorum who didn't make those threats of violence.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1343325181' post='2459061']
I'm speaking generally about a phenomena that irks me endlessly (which is why I didn't respond [i]directly[/i] to you, instead posing a hypothetical question to the group as a whole), while you're speaking to people on a phorum who didn't make those threats of violence.
[/quote]

I was answering your general question, from my viewpoint and in current context. To answer it objectively and literally: it would be possible. But it is rarely done. Even the mildest opinions of objection are often labeled as "bashing". I think it simultaneously enhances and is encouraged by the mentality that is pervading our society: "If you aren't for me you are against me."

And, to be clear, as to my original post, I wasn't accusing anyone here of bashing. As I said, I was speaking generally. I was doing nothing more than voicing my worthless opinion, and now humbly acknowledge my inability to contribute to the conversation.

Edited by Tally Marx

fides' Jack

I had some 2 nights ago. It wasn't quite as good as the tacos I had yesterday - but close!

HopefulBride

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343277910' post='2458965']
The problem isn't the personal religious views of the CEO. The problem is that the company is using its profits to back organizations that are actively working against gay rights.
[/quote]

Are you serious?

I wonder how long it will take for this Chik-Fil-A guy to get glitter bombed by some one of these "activist" groups. The glitter bomb being the pinnacle of social and political protest in the 21st century. Nothing says "I find your views repugnant and wish do express this displeasure in a tangible and dramatic way" like throwing a handful of colored papier-mâché at your opponent.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1343328176' post='2459075']
I wonder how long it will take for this Chik-Fil-A guy to get glitter bombed by some one of these "activist" groups. The glitter bomb being the pinnacle of social and political protest in the 21st century. Nothing says "I find your views repugnant and wish do express this displeasure in a tangible and dramatic way" like throwing a handful of colored papier-mâché at your opponent.
[/quote]

I shall quote this so that people can prop me instead.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343319329' post='2459023']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEJPvQr9Bc[/media]

I think 8:40 pertains to this.
[/quote]

me ---> :deadhorse: <---- this video

Edited by Annie12

Vincent Vega

I had Chickfila last time for the first time in ages because the one in Gainesville had a BOGO special. They'd have to back a foundation that supported lighting my entire family on fire before I'd pass up on that shiz.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1343335653' post='2459123']
I had Chickfila last time for the first time in ages because the one in Gainesville had a BOGO special. They'd have to back a foundation that supported lighting my entire family on fire before I'd pass up on that shiz.
[/quote]

Last time I had it, I dressed like a cow, and they gave it to me!