An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bride Of Christ

abrideofChrist

BarbTherese

1294 Anointing with oil has all these meanings in the sacramental life. The pre-baptismal anointing with the oil of catechumens signifies cleansing and strengthening; the anointing of the sick expresses healing and comfort. The post-baptismal anointing with sacred chrism in Confirmation and ordination is the sign of consecration. By Confirmation Christians, that is, those who are anointed, share more completely in the mission of Jesus Christ and the fullness of the Holy Spirit with which he is filled, so that their lives may give off "the aroma of Christ."

BarbTherese

1280 Baptism imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual sign, the character, which consecrates the baptized person for Christian worship. Because of the character Baptism cannot be repeated (cf. DS 1609 and DS 1624).

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_25031996_vita-consecrata_en.html

POST-SYNODAL
APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
VITA CONSECRATA
OF THE HOLY FATHER
JOHN PAUL II
TO THE BISHOPS AND CLERGY
RELIGIOUS ORDERS AND CONGREGATIONS
SOCIETIES OF APOSTOLIC LIFE
SECULAR INSTITUTES
AND ALL THE FAITHFUL
ON THE CONSECRATED LIFE AND ITS MISSION
IN THE CHURCH AND IN THE WORLD

"Thanksgiving for the consecrated life

2. Because the role of consecrated life in the Church is so important, I decided to convene a Synod in order to examine in depth its significance and its future prospects, especially in view of the approaching new millennium. It was my wish that the Synodal Assembly should include, together with the Bishops, a considerable number of consecrated men and women, in order that they too might contribute to the common reflection.

We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration."

abrideofChrist

And to my way of thought, this is all the different roles or vocations are in The Church – i.e. different ways of witnessing to Christ and continuing His Work on earth.  To my way of thinking, consecrated virginity in secular life spells it all out and no need to go any further – again, to my way of thinking. 

Well, I am glad that you are happy with your definition of consecrated virginity.  I'm not sure that I understand it, or that others would find it very helpful.  At least, though, you understand the vocation and that's all that matters for you.  The rest of us, though, may find it more helpful to know more about this vocation in the Church.

Edited by abrideofChrist

BarbTherese

Bride of Christ said "

While you may not enjoy the grace that consecration brings to a person, you are still living out your baptismal call to holiness in the way you see God calling you to which is edifying.'

All lightheartedness, joking (and some mutual condescentions and patronizations) aside.

BoC, I do not need those Graces granted to the consecrated state, since I am not in the "consecrated state of life" in terms of Church Law - what I need and am unworthily granted are the Graces necessary to a chaste celibate life in the laity - as well as what we all enjoy (regardless of vocation) which are all the Graces necessary to salvation and holiness.  By embracing my Baptismal consecration in celibate chastity in the lay state of life, I am embracing Jesus and His Gospel and His Church in a unique manner - and every vocation has its own uniqueness with accompanying Graces to complete that uniqueness or associated duties and responsibilities in a particular state in life.  Yours is the consecrated state in life in terms of Church language and mine is the lay state in life in terms of Church language.

Neither of us is anywhere at all in Grace through deservings nor imaginary 'elevations' to some superiority or other.  Rather we are where we are in hope through God's Will and His Graces alone.  What is greater than The Will of The Lord and His Grace?..............why nothing whatsoever! NOTHING.

I am not in the "consecrated state of life" in terms of Church Law, but I am in the consecrated state of Baptism and Confirmation. And, according to Vita Consecrata already quoted, I can also be regarded as being in "the consecrated life".  I can assure you that I live quite literally poor, chaste and obedient in every way and as my private vows (and soon a rule of life) will define.

I did not merely choose this lay celibate chaste state on my own advice - or as you put it "the way you see God calling you".  I was advised and guided into this vocation by a Vincentian Priest and theologian then lecturing and living in our seminary here.  I did not create this way of life.  I had in fact been living it for a few years when my Vincentian priest theologian (and director/confessor) pointed out to me that I had been living a type of - and I stress "type of" - religious way of life (I never took this as "religious life" per se).  I had other options, but decided on the lay celibate chaste state.  Our Archbishop wrote to me on diocesan letterhead confirming that I had made an excellent decision after further discussions with my Vincentian theologian and advising His Grace that I had decided on private vows to the evangelical counsels.

I have been living this way of life for 30 years and with spiritual direction and now under another priest religious who is also superior of his community and has confirmed this lay chaste celibate state as my vocation by his very willingness to direct me.  He has asked me to write a rule of life for the way I live in the footsteps of The Gospel, with many failures, and according to my lights and Graces granted to live out those lights.

You may be in the consecrated state, but so am I.  Under Church Law, however, our consecrated states in life merely differ. 

I do not strive to be offensive in what I am about to say for the sake of it, but I find some of what you write most condescending and patronizing - and perhaps I deserve it.  I would not know.  But it is offensive to me and I do not think I do you any favours nor any good by not pointing this out.  Perhaps I am wrong.  But fait accompli nevertheless the moment I click onto "Add Reply".

abrideofChrist

If I may ask a question about CV's -- to whom are they answerable? To their bishop? Other consecrated religious must answer to their superiors, but I'm just wondering about that. A nun or sister might have her conscience pricked or her methods credibly questioned. Who helps a CV with her examen?

This is a very difficult thread. Since I am only a mother and not a Bride of Christ, allow me to say something I've told my children: if a lot of your friends are telling you you're being a poor playmate, perhaps you need to consider how you're playing. 

Each CV is answerable first to her Divine Spouse and secondly to her bishop.  Who helps a CV with her examen?  We pray that it is the Holy Spirit. 

Hmmm.  Yes, you do have a point about the style of playing with others.  May I also propose a similar example for you to consider? I have heard that sometimes a single child may feel like they are being bullied in the playground because a group of others don't like the way they are dressed or the way they talk.  I am not saying you are doing this, because I feel you are genuinely trying to help, but I do feel that is enough for one person to intervene and that the number of people who have tried to correct me has been excessive.

abrideofChrist

I am not in the "consecrated state of life" in terms of Church Law, but I am in the consecrated state of Baptism and Confirmation. And, according to Vita Consecrata already quoted, I can also be regarded as being in "the consecrated life".  I can assure you that I live quite literally poor, chaste and obedient in every way and as my private vows (and soon a rule of life) will define.

For the sake of others who have not studied the matter as deeply as you, I highly recommend our Hermit Sr. Laurel's posts on dedicare and consecrare on her blog.  Again, I am glad you are happy in your calling and wish you the best.

BarbTherese

Dame Agnes "Since I am only a mother"

My eyes widened when I read "only a mother".  Motherhood - a vocation that asks heroic self sacrifice very often - and without any pats on the back.  Just sleepless nights sometimes - and hard work days - often days and nights when one is burdened by tremendous doubt (sometimes) about whether what one is actually doing is the correct or best way to go.  I ran into an old ironing client of mine today who was rushing by and off her feet doing a grocery shop in time to pick the children up from school.

Heaven will sort everything out for all of us and then we will all be saints without exemption.  Mine will be a long long stint in Purgatory I know............if I manage to avoid mortal sin until death.  If not, that I get to Confession before death, please Lord.

BarbTherese

Well, I am glad that you are happy with your definition of consecrated virginity.  I'm not sure that I understand it, or that others would find it very helpful.  At least, though, you understand the vocation and that's all that matters for you.  The rest of us, though, may find it more helpful to know more about this vocation in the Church.

Thank you.

..............LOL.......

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

For the sake of others who have not studied the matter as deeply as you, I highly recommend our Hermit Sr. Laurel's posts on dedicare and consecrare on her blog.  Again, I am glad you are happy in your calling and wish you the best.

I prefer what Pope John Paul II had to say, all due respect.  While I rather regularly access Sr Laurel's site and there is much that is very helpful indeed, I don't always embrace all she has to state.

I truly wish you all the best also!

"Thanksgiving for the consecrated life

2. Because the role of consecrated life in the Church is so important, I decided to convene a Synod in order to examine in depth its significance and its future prospects, especially in view of the approaching new millennium. It was my wish that the Synodal Assembly should include, together with the Bishops, a considerable number of consecrated men and women, in order that they too might contribute to the common reflection.

We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

abrideofChrist

I prefer what Pope John Paul II had to say, all due respect.  While I rather regularly access Sr Laurel's site and there is much that is very helpful indeed, I don't always embrace all she has to state.

That's fine.  BarbaraTherese, I know you are well read.  Sr. Laurel writes about how the contemporary Church (as in the writings of Pope John Paul II and Vatican II) uses the words "dedicare" and "consecrare".  I find her writing on the matter very helpful for people who would like to know more about lay dedication.  I myself don't agree with everything she writes but I do agree with this and I think it is very helpful, which is why I posted it.

Lilllabettt

May I also propose a similar example for you to consider? I have heard that sometimes a single child may feel like they are being bullied in the playground because a group of others don't like the way they are dressed or the way they talk.  I am not saying you are doing this, because I feel you are genuinely trying to help, but I do feel that is enough for one person to intervene and that the number of people who have tried to correct me has been excessive.

Thank you for bringing up bullying ABC. As a  teacher I sat through 16 hrs of PD on bullies. So let me tell you what I have learnt about them.

Bullies seek out and bother other people for their personal enjoyment. They say and do things they know will cause pain and upset. They tease, mock and ridicule others.  When confronted with their behavior they deny it or pretend not to understand why it is hurtful. Bullies are frequently social isolates who are ostracized from their peer group. They are internally insecure and act out as a form of compensation. When their behavior meets with resistance or defense, the bully himself retreats and may complain of bullying from the peer group; his victims are "mean" etc.

I encourage everyone to read through this thread, and consider carefully whether they have engaged in bullying behavior. Be honest with yourself, make corrections, and then go forward aware that you have engaged with others that way in the past, so as to be on the alert for any tendency in the future.

Edited by Lilllabettt

abrideofChrist

Thank you for bringing up bullying ABC. As a  teacher I sat through 16 hrs of PD on bullies. So let me tell you what I have learnt about them.

Bullies seek out and bother other people for their personal enjoyment. They say and do things they know will cause pain and upset. They tease, mock and ridicule others.  When confronted with their behavior they deny it or pretend not to understand why it is hurtful. Bullies are frequently social isolates who are ostracized from their peer group. They are internally insecure and act out as a form of compensation. When their behavior meets with resistance or defense, the bully himself retreats and may complain of bullying from the peer group; his victims are "mean" etc.

I encourage everyone to read through this thread, and consider carefully whether they have engaged in bullying behavior. Be honest with yourself, make corrections, and then go forward aware that you have engaged with others that way in the past, so as to be on the alert for any tendency in the future.

And they can group up because they feel power in numbers.  Lillabettt, please consider leaving this thread because you have contributed nothing to the actual discussion on consecrated virginity.

Edited by abrideofChrist

Lilllabettt

Lillabettt, please consider leaving this thread because you have contributed nothing to the actual discussion on consecrated virginity.

Really? I'm sorry you don't see the value of a reminder about what bullying looks like. I think the reminder itself is a helpful contribution. Do you not think it is helpful for people, especially on the internet, to examine themselves on this during a heated discussion?

Or are you offended because you are opposed to examining yourself on this point?

I humbly suggest that may not be a wise course of action. You pointed out before that as a CV you are responsible for your own examen, which is a difficult thing. It requires a great deal of honesty, courage and self-evaluation.

abrideofChrist

Please consider leaving the thread if you cannot contribute in a positive manner to the topic of what it means to be a Bride of Christ.  This is the 3rd or 4th time you have attacked me.  Another ad hominem, and I will report you to the mods for harassing behavior.

Lilllabettt

Please consider leaving the thread if you cannot contribute in a positive manner to the topic of what it means to be a Bride of Christ.  This is the 3rd or 4th time you have attacked me.  Another ad hominem, and I will report you to the mods for harassing behavior.

I considered it, but I have to say it is unlikely. I make it a point to keep up with this thread, and others where you are active, to see if my friends are being pushed around.

I hope this will always be a community where people are made to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed by rude or condescending behavior. I am determined to do my part to make it so. So please know that if you are rude to my friends again, you will be embarrassed again.  100% guarantee.

Edited by Lilllabettt