An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bride Of Christ

abrideofChrist

abrideofChrist

Just to refresh everyone's memory: Per Phatmass Guidelines,

Do not post:

• PERSONAL ATTACKS - A post or comment that does not relate to the topic, but is specifically meant to upset or criticize another person or group of people.

I think that the above particularly applies to people who have proudly proclaimed that they are following me in all my threads to criticize me as they see fit without even contributing towards a better understanding of the thread topic!.  This is unwarranted and similar to stalking.  Can we please get back to talking about this vocation?  Please!

Edited by abrideofChrist

abrideofChrist

Everyone, please realize that first there are statements attacking me for being to harsh and rude in my writing style.  I've attempted to adjust this accordingly to the best of my ability.  Now, I am accused of sounding condescending and patronizing!  All I wanted was to share this vocation with an open dialogue with Phatmassers for people who are discerning so they are aware of what it is and secondly to explore it.  Can we please get back to talking about this vocation?  Please!  Thank you.

Everyone, please realize that first there are statements attacking me for being to harsh and rude in my writing style.  I've attempted to adjust this accordingly to the best of my ability.  Now, I am accused of sounding condescending and patronizing!  All I wanted was to share this vocation with an open dialogue with Phatmassers for people who are discerning so they are aware of what it is and secondly to explore it.  Can we please get back to talking about this vocation?  Please!  Thank you.

ABOC,

What more needs to be said?  You and others have talked this vocation to death.  If people want more information than what has been covered in these 25+ pages then perhaps they can do some old fashion "Googlin".... There is plenty of information out there.

Just let this thread die.  That would be the best thing.   Please. 

Lilllabettt

when you report me, please make an effort to spell my screen name correctly.

I even spell it in my profile picture. L, i, triple L, a, b, e, triple t.

It even rhymes.

see?

Edited by Lilllabettt

abrideofChrist

ABOC,

What more needs to be said?  You and others have talked this vocation to death.  If people want more information than what has been covered in these 25+ pages then perhaps they can do some old fashion "Googlin".... There is plenty of information out there.

Just let this thread die.  That would be the best thing.   Please. 

Well, nobody forced you to read this thread or respond to it from out of the blue.  People are interested and it would be nice if you would kindly respect our wishes to have a discussion on what it means to be a bride of Christ.  I will not be bullied into having the thread die just because some people without any positive contributions want it gone.  If you want it to die down, don't post! 

I must confess that I've suddenly found myself wondering if AbrideofChrist really exists, or whether she's a troll seeking to bring consecrated life into disrepute. It would, admittedly, be an awful lot of work to do, dredging up all these arguments, but stranger things have happened.

Okay, having said that, if she is a troll perhaps it's best to just ignore her. And even trolls need prayer.

Well, nobody forced you to read this thread or respond to it from out of the blue.  People are interested and it would be nice if you would kindly respect our wishes to have a discussion on what it means to be a bride of Christ.  I will not be bullied into having the thread die just because some people without any positive contributions want it gone.  If you want it to die down, don't post! 

Who would have thought there would be "bridezillas" in the consecrated life.  I mean really....Goodness gracious! Great balls of fire! 

abrideofChrist

Has anyone else read the book published by the CCCB on consecrated virginity called Ever Ancient Ever New?  It is a very interesting book with a lot of helpful insights.  Here's something the author says about discernment of vocations:

Discernment requires a potential candidate for consecrated life to spend time trying to decipher if he or she is genuinely called to live a formal consecrated way of life in the Church.  When a person becomes conscious that he or she might be called to a religious vocation, the initial step is to determine what he or she would like to be.  Religious life takes many forms: for a man, a priest, a religious brother, or a member of a secular institute; for a woman, a nun or a religious sister or a consecrated virgin or a member of a secular institute.  Each form is different and the person discerning a religious vocation needs to understand the similarities and differences of these vocational states.  [emphasis mine]

There's a useful chart included in the book to show how the vocations are inter related and what their similarities and differences are.  I can't post the chart here because of formatting issues, but I do think it is quite interesting.

Edited by abrideofChrist

I came by to catch up on the latest posts, but I can’t read a blooming thing due to the drive-bys unloading buckshot in people’s eyes!

(All the while whimpering that they are the victims and they are sick and tired of the unpleasant behavior. My, my, my.)

I guess the only thing left now is to be amused.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to soldier on and keep the discussion going. I appreciate it!

BarbTherese

My information was gleaned long ago from the United States Association of Consecrated Virgins (USACV). The information is simple and straightforward - and quite beautiful - with no theological gymnastics.

Sr Lauren can publish on the dedicated life to distinguish from the consecrated life if she wishes and needs such a distinguishing.  It is not what JPII has to say about the lay celibate chaste vocation in Vita Consecrata ("The Consecrated Life"). I have already quoted what JPII had to say.  Although, in speaking with people and in various posts and other places it has been very handy to point out that I am not in consecrated life in Church legal language, rather I am living a dedicated life and a difference in language primarily only since the way of life I live has some features of other vocations for women.  And I don't need a great lecture about formal consecration in The Church.   The Church consecrates as a movement of Grace, as I live the life I live in response to a movement of Grace and I have done so for 30 years.

I am happy, at Peace and in Joy, in my vocation and fruits of The Holy Spirit - including the fact that the cross is intrinsic.

http://consecratedvirgins.org/vocation

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

The Vocation Station is more catty than Debate Table? Now I've seen everything.

Ahh the delusions of life and living! :)

Has anyone else read the book published by the CCCB on consecrated virginity called Ever Ancient Ever New?  It is a very interesting book with a lot of helpful insights.  Here's something the author says about discernment of vocations:

Discernment requires a potential candidate for consecrated life to spend time trying to decipher if he or she is genuinely called to live a formal consecrated way of life in the Church.  When a person becomes conscious that he or she might be called to a religious vocation, the initial step is to determine what he or she would like to be.  Religious life takes many forms: for a man, a priest, a religious brother, or a member of a secular institute; for a woman, a nun or a religious sister or a consecrated virgin or a member of a secular institute.  Each form is different and the person discerning a religious vocation needs to understand the similarities and differences of these vocational states.  [emphasis mine]

There's a useful chart included in the book to show how the vocations are inter related and what their similarities and differences are.  I can't post the chart here because of formatting issues, but I do think it is quite interesting.

Excellent, thanks!

BarbTherese

Each CV is answerable first to her Divine Spouse and secondly to her bishop.  Who helps a CV with her examen?  We pray that it is the Holy Spirit. 

Hmmm.  Yes, you do have a point about the style of playing with others.  May I also propose a similar example for you to consider? I have heard that sometimes a single child may feel like they are being bullied in the playground because a group of others don't like the way they are dressed or the way they talk.  I am not saying you are doing this, because I feel you are genuinely trying to help, but I do feel that is enough for one person to intervene and that the number of people who have tried to correct me has been excessive.

Much as all the baptised are answerable to Jesus, their Divine Spouse - Him with whom they desire Unity and are consecrated by Baptism and Confirmation to do so, and we all owe a certain level of obedience to our bishop and in accord with our state in life.  I also would hope and pray that we all examine our consciences under the guidance of The Holy Spirit. 

For the sake of others who have not studied the matter as deeply as you, I highly recommend our Hermit Sr. Laurel's posts on dedicare and consecrare on her blog.  Again, I am glad you are happy in your calling and wish you the best.

It would be helpful if you could give me some links from Church Documents, including those where The Church distinguishes a consecrated life from a specially consecrated/committed/dedicated life. "Dedicated Life" is not a Church term defined by our theology to my knowledge.  In Vita Consecrata JPII uses both terms in connection with a privately committed/specially consecrated/dedicated life and JPII does so under the subject heading "Thanksgiving for The Consecrated Life".

To my knowledge, I have not read any such Document which clearly states that there is to be a theological distinction between "dedicated life" and "consecrated life" - none.  Although various documents, letters, addresses out of Rome in total do proliferate and I cannot claim to have read everything.  It is not easy to stay in touch with The Church in all things.

I have already quoted a Church Document (Vita Consecrata The Consecrated Life) where Pope John Paul clearly places those who make a private dedication of themselves to God in "Thanksgiving for the Consecrated Life" and he terms such a private dedication a "special consecration" and I have quoted in full, once more, the relevant passage below. It can be ignored if one chooses, but there it remains for all time.

Such quotes with links would be helpful on Sr Laurel's posts into her blogs also - to date to my knowledge (posts on her Stillsong Hermitage blog that I have read) there are no such quoted passages with links on this subject under discussion.

I am quite prepared to change my mind on anything at all that I might state if available and reliable evidence indicates a change; however, what has been presented to me by various means to date have not convinced me that I should change my mind re a lifestyle that is a "special consecration" meaning that I for one only, for example, remain fully in the lay state of life, as was Jesus in His own times.  Celibate chaste living in the laity and as confirmed vocation and call, following a Gospel way of life with aspects of various consecrated states, is simply another way of continuing the Work of Jesus on earth in His Mystical Body -  and witnessing to aspects of His Life while His physical presence was here on earth, nor has He left this earth.

Disagreeing (sometimes quite a lot) with a post cannot be called "bullying" in my book.

Special Consecration "Vita Consecrata"

Thanksgiving for the consecrated life

2. Because the role of consecrated life in the Church is so important, I decided to convene a Synod in order to examine in depth its significance and its future prospects, especially in view of the approaching new millennium. It was my wish that the Synodal Assembly should include, together with the Bishops, a considerable number of consecrated men and women, in order that they too might contribute to the common reflection.

We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration..The Synod was a tangible sign of the universal extension of the consecrated life, present in the local Churches throughout the world."