An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecration To Our Lady

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='curiousing' timestamp='1345256152' post='2469481']
Sorry, but could someone please give me a thorough explanation of what this consecration is, and what purpose it serves, and how it's different from just loving Our Lady before the consecration? I've heard of this before, but never really understood it. I mean, what changes?
[/quote]

The consecration I am most familiar with is the one popularized by St Louis de Montfort, where you 'forward' every good work and every offering that you could possibly give to God to Mary instead, so she can give them to Him. The Saint says that Mary will gain for us far more mercy and reward from God than we could ever obtain for ourselves. He uses the example of a peasant bringing a king an apple, versus a peasant giving the apple to the Queen, who presents it to the King on her special golden tray.

I am not sure if this is the 'mainstream' consecration this thread speak of, though.

Edit: I think, for me, the thing that separates the consecration from ordinary devotion or love for Our Lady is simply the fact that you put forth the effort and time to do it...kind of like the scapular and other very simple Marian devotions. I know too many people who don't bother to wear the scapular because they "already love Mary." Well, then show her and wear her scapular! Not saying you don't love Mary if you don't do the consecration/wear the scapular, just that it is a small act that shows that love for her, and as many on this thread state, they do feel a renewed intimacy and protection from Mary following the consecration.

Edited by emmaberry

[quote name='curiousing' timestamp='1345256152' post='2469481']
Sorry, but could someone please give me a thorough explanation of what this consecration is, and what purpose it serves, and how it's different from just loving Our Lady before the consecration? I've heard of this before, but never really understood it. I mean, what changes?
[/quote]

To consecrate means to make sacred, or rather, to set aside for an exclusive use. For example, a chalice is consecrated, or set aside, for the exclusive use of holding the Precious Blood; the priest is consecrated, or set aside, exclusively for service of God and His people.

When someone consecrates themselves to the Blessed Virgin, it is not just another 'devotion', but a real 'setting aside' of one self for 'use' by the Immaculate.

BUT WHY WOULD WE DO THIS????

I actually wanted to start a new thread to answer this, but i might as well do it here in a condensed form . There are indeed many reasons why consecration to the Immaculate is profitable for the soul and fitting within the context of giving the greatest Glory to God...But the number one reason why you should consecrate yourself to Mary is. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .BECAUSE JESUS DID!!!!!!!!!

I once heard it said that devotion to Our Lady is like walking hand in hand with Her, while consecration is being carried in Her Arms. I want to be in Her arms with Jesus!

I might still start another thread enumerating all the reasons for consecration and devotion to Our Blessed Mother...But I need to find a little time first.

HAPPY and HOLY SUNDAY!!

AVE MARIA!!!

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345261522' post='2469560']
The consecration I am most familiar with is the one popularized by St Louis de Montfort, where you 'forward' every good work and every offering that you could possibly give to God to Mary instead, so she can give them to Him. The Saint says that Mary will gain for us far more mercy and reward from God than we could ever obtain for ourselves. He uses the example of a peasant bringing a king an apple, versus a peasant giving the apple to the Queen, who presents it to the King on her special golden tray.

I am not sure if this is the 'mainstream' consecration this thread speak of, though.
[/quote]

I think the "Total Consecration" is the most popular consecration but there are others, obviously some more popular than others. I think St. Maximilian Kolbe had one that is fairly popular. And there are some for Our Lady under different titles so if you have a devotion to a particular apparition or title you can consecrate to her under that title - for example I have a devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows, so I make a consecration to Our Lady of Sorrows.

Mary's Child

I made my consecration for the first time on Mothers day 2011 and renewed it on the same day this year. For anyone who is even considering it dont wait just do it you will not regret it. Like many others I also missed a few days and didn't complete the preparation exactly the way it is recommeded. But Jesus and Mary both know where my heart is and that my intentions were to give them honor and glory. As long as they understand this nothing else matters.