An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Appropriate To Bring Flowers To A Sister Who Is Ill?

Gabriela

One of the sisters I interviewed, a PCC, just had a stroke and is in recovery. She's back in the cloister now, and I'll be going there on Sunday. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to bring her flowers. Vow of poverty, no personal possessions and all...

Anyone know how this would be received?

I think it is sweet that you would take her some flowers... she may give them to Jesus, but would that be so bad?

Edited by AnneLine

OnlySunshine

I don't think it would be a problem. It's just flowers, after all. You are offering her support which she really needs right now. :)

I think it is a lovely idea and I'm sure that she will apreciate them. Prayers that sister will continue her recovery.

MissScripture

I know this is slightly different, since my sister isn't cloistered, but on my sister's feast day and the feast day of another Sister our family is close to, my parents send flowers, and there has never been a problem with that. Plus, their beauty will be shared with anyone who is in her room, caring for her, etc, so even though they are "her" flowers, they would be "shared" so to speak. :)

And at the absolutely worst case (if it is a worst case) they will be used in the chapel, so is it really a bad thing to send flowers? I think the nuns/sisters would be so appreciative, and the nun/sister who is ill would be too.

I know of sisters who at times did not have flowers for Jesus, so definitely send flowers :)

[quote name='curiousing' timestamp='1345238062' post='2469315']
One of the sisters I interviewed, a PCC, just had a stroke and is in recovery. She's back in the cloister now, and I'll be going there on Sunday. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to bring her flowers. Vow of poverty, no personal possessions and all...

Anyone know how this would be received?
[/quote]

You are so thoughtful! The PCCs would love that-they [i]are [/i]Franciscans! :hehe:

carmenchristi

Definitely :) Sisters always appreciate flowers. It's a sacrifice to buy flowers for the chapel, and they are always hoping that someone will donate them. So, that's most likely where they will end up, but it's not a bad thing!

Mary's Child

Bring her flowers she will probably love it and so will all the other sisters and as many have said they may end up in the chapel.