An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GeorgiiMichael

I don't know why this thread is on page 17, but I'll give my answer anyway...

I would prefer a woman who didn't have tattoos, but if it were really love then I suppose it wouldn't matter. I could see myself marrying the type of person who might get a concealable or less noticable one. However, again I do strongly prefer a woman with no tattoos.

For the life of me I honestly can't understand why people want them.. They do sound nice in theory, but every tattoo I've ever seen has always looked just a bit cheap to me. It's not because of the quality of the tattoo. It's just the way the ink sets on the skin.. I think it looks cheesy. Even with more significant images/messages of deeper meaning, it almost seems to cheapen the subject matter for the fact that it has been imprinted on someone's skin. It's kind of like putting a holy card on a piece of toast, or something like that.

I think when we attach art to ourselves, we take away from it because we're trying to make the work point back to us. I think real art draws our minds away from ourselves, rather than attempting to point others to us.

mmm, prayertoast, mmm

Also, you have an interesting take on tattoos, thank you for sharing!

My pleasure, GeorgiiMichael.

Winchester, I think it is a bit different though. A portrait says, "Here's how I see a person," whereas a tattoo says, "See me this way." When I've thought about getting a tattoo in the past, it's specifically so that it will change how others see me, not to just express a thought. I think there was some element of pride or at least self-consciousness involved. So, I think sharing with others one's works of art is a bit different than sporting imagery around on one's epidermis at every moment.

Winchester, I think it is a bit different though. A portrait says, "Here's how I see a person," whereas a tattoo says, "See me this way." When I've thought about getting a tattoo in the past, it's specifically so that it will change how others see me, not to just express a thought. I think there was some element of pride or at least self-consciousness involved. So, I think sharing with others one's works of art is a bit different than sporting imagery around on one's epidermis at every moment.

Kind of like choosing a particular outfit.

You're ascribing monolithic intent to individuals. I like the thoughtfulness, and you have probably described the feelings of more than a few people, but all of them? Not bloody likely.

GeorgiiMichael

But isn't a tattoo just extremely portable art on a portable art gallery? I don't seem to see a difference between artwork on someone's person and artwork in a museum. Also, what of the people who choose to get tattoos but not in places where people can see them? That isn't telling people to "See me this way". People don't know I have tattoos unless I tell them that I do. My tattoos are extremely personal to me, and even though I plan on getting more that will be visible, they will remain personal. I can understand how some people might get tattoos for the reasons that you stated, but those aren't the reasons that everyone gets tattoos.

Tattoos can be as illuminating as a portrait, and portraits can be as vain as a tattoo. It all depends on the individual.

franciscanheart

Not wanting to be with that guy because of his tattoo wouldn't be superficial. His choice in location and subject material, and the combination of both indicate signs of poor judgement and vainglorious tendencies. Not to mention his eagerness to remove the tattoo indicates an unwillingness to take responsibility for his actions.

Tattoos aren't for everyone. People with tattoos also aren't for everyone.

Van_Gogh_Self-Portrait_with_Straw_Hat_18

You're ascribing monolithic intent to individuals. I like the thoughtfulness, and you have probably described the feelings of more than a few people, but all of them? Not bloody likely.

But isn't a tattoo just extremely portable art on a portable art gallery? I don't seem to see a difference between artwork on someone's person and artwork in a museum. Also, what of the people who choose to get tattoos but not in places where people can see them? That isn't telling people to "See me this way". People don't know I have tattoos unless I tell them that I do. My tattoos are extremely personal to me, and even though I plan on getting more that will be visible, they will remain personal. I can understand how some people might get tattoos for the reasons that you stated, but those aren't the reasons that everyone gets tattoos.

Tattoos can be as illuminating as a portrait, and portraits can be as vain as a tattoo. It all depends on the individual.

:love: (to all of the above)

PhuturePriest

You're in the list of my top five favorite people for saying "bloody".

Well, even if they're not readily visible, people do see them eventually.. In which case I think the same message would still apply.

Perhaps your tattoos are personal to you, but that's more related to the subject matter rather than the ink on your skin, isn't it? I hold many beliefs and memories that are very personal to me and I cherish them greatly, however I wouldn't necessarily inscribe them on my person. 

Or are they personal to you in themselves? Like the pirates who would get their ears pierced upon crossing the Equator? I suppose that would be a different matter. =P

But do we wear artwork as outfits? Does one look at someone's clothes and say, "Wow, that is truly a work of art"? Maybe at a fashion show, but other than that, not really. 

People around here do like to wear weird clothes in order to stick out (kitten hoods and such) and break the status quo. Consequently, there are also lots of tattooed individuals around here. (I say "around here" because I have also lived somewhere where people were rarely tattooed and rarely wore strange clothing.) It's a way to break the norm and say, "I am an individual." I think this shows too much of a focus on the individual and the self.

franciscanheart

I would, but boy would my wife be pissed. :|

Seriously though, I have no problems with tattoos.

:hehe:

But do we wear artwork as outfits? Does one look at someone's clothes and say, "Wow, that is truly a work of art"? Maybe at a fashion show, but other than that, not really. 

People around here do like to wear weird clothes in order to stick out (kitten hoods and such) and break the status quo. Consequently, there are also lots of tattooed individuals around here. (I say "around here" because I have also lived somewhere where people were rarely tattooed and rarely wore strange clothing.) It's a way to break the norm and say, "I am an individual." I think this shows too much of a focus on the individual and the self.

Where I live, tattoos are not uncommon.