An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cigar Or Pipe Smoking

Slappo

Smoking cigars and pipes  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

Also:
[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345755396' post='2472934']
I voted "no" for both. Reason for both: the smell of tobacco makes me want to puke.
[/quote]
Pipe tobacco can have a really nice room note - actually, sometimes I enjoy the smell of my pipe tobacco smoke even better than the taste.

There's actually pipe tobacco blends labled as aromatics. They smell very nice. In my experience aromatics tend to be the lighter flavored tobacco's as opposed to a dark strong blend (think herbal tea vs breakfast tea or wheat ale vs a dark porter/stout).

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345757884' post='2472991']
There's actually pipe tobacco blends labled as aromatics.[/quote]
My mistake, you're right...there are feminine pipe tobaccos. ;)

Maximilianus

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345756901' post='2472971']
Unlike cigarette, or to a lesser extent, cigar smoking, pipe smoking is not pick up and go. First you pick the tobacco you're wanting to smoke. If it's flake tobacco ([url="http://pipesmagazine.com/python/files/2009/09/flakes.jpg"]http://pipesmagazine...9/09/flakes.jpg[/url]) you have to shred it up a bit to make it suitable to smoke. If it's ribbon cut, you can skip the shredding. You then have to pack your pipe, about which there is much debate (as to how many times and how hard you should compress your tobacco, how many different layers of tobacco you should put in, etc etc).
After this, you are ready for the first light, the charring light. You want to char the topmost part of the tobacco, but not really get a good burn going. You extinguish this layer and then tamp the ash down. You are then ready for the real light, at which point you begin to actually smoke the tobacco. This takes some time to get used to, as well, because if you smoke too slowly, your pipe will keep going out, but if you smoke too fast, your pipe will burn hot and you can experience "tongue bite", a nasty feeling in your mouth caused by the release of chemicals when the tobacco is burning hotter than it should.
After you've finished your bowl, there is a cleaning ritual which is pretty boring, so I won't bore you with those details.

A bowl generally takes about 45 minutes to smoke, so you're looking at investing at least 1h30 from start to finish to do it right.
[/quote]

Dude, you're so GKC.
“In Catholicism, the pint, the pipe and the Cross can all fit together.”

if you don't don a fur felt hat, get one now...and a sword cane

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1345759195' post='2473022']
Dude, you're so GKC.
[/quote]
I am wholly unworthy of that comparison.

my husband smokes cigarettes.

i would not mind if he smoked cigars or a pipe on an occasional basis. my grampa rolled his own cigarettes, and i loved the smell of that. :love:

[quote name='Not The Philosopher' timestamp='1345756846' post='2472970']
There's a bit of an art to packing a bowl properly, lighting it and keeping it lit. First you choose the amount you want, then you put it into the pipe bit by bit. Then you use a[b] pipe tool[/b] (or something similar) to tamp the tobacco down. Then you take your match/lighter, and 'inhale' the flame into the tobacco while moving it about in a circle. You do this until things are consistently burning.
[/quote]
[IMG]http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg626/vitaminj861/PipeTool.jpg[/IMG]

Basilisa Marie

I kind of enjoy the smell, but kissing someone who has just smoked tastes just nasty to me.

Just sayin'. :hehe2:

GeorgiiMichael

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1345768889' post='2473174']
I kind of enjoy the smell, but kissing someone who has just smoked tastes just nasty to me.

Just sayin'. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Don't worry, if one doesn't brush one's teeth and swish with mouth wash soon after, the smoker will also get that nasty taste as well.

That said, I love my pipes and a cigar every now and then is a pleasant experience. Even non-aromatic pipe tobacco smells better than even the finest cigar (at least in my opinion). I also wouldn't mind if any future significant other partook in the finer tobacco arts. Although I don't think I could handle a cigarette smoker.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345772922' post='2473233']
I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums....
[/quote]
Which is why all you nicotine addicts should just start vaping instead.

GeorgiiMichael

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345772922' post='2473233']
I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums....
[/quote]

Most pipe and cigar smokers don't label themselves as "smokers". Since the smoke isn't inhaled, cancer risk is significantly reduced. There is no effect on lung capacity. There is only rarely a chance for a nicotine buzz, which also means that unless you have a really addictive personality, you won't get addicted.

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1345776720' post='2473269']
Most pipe and cigar smokers don't label themselves as "smokers". Since the smoke isn't inhaled, cancer risk is significantly reduced. There is no effect on lung capacity. There is only rarely a chance for a nicotine buzz, which also means that unless you have a really addictive personality, you won't get addicted.
[/quote]

All irrelevant.

20+ years ago, insurance applications used to ask the applicant if they smoked one or more gcigarettes in the past 12 months. Now, the question is "tobacco use", which would encompass not just cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, but also snuff and chewing tobacco.

Edited by Norseman82