An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cigar Or Pipe Smoking

Slappo

Smoking cigars and pipes  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

I do not, but I have no problem with it. Although someone chain smoking cigars would be kind of off-putting... I hear that is what Freud did.

Vincent Vega

Something weird about a girl smoking a pipe or cigar. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, and I'm something of a feminist, but it's the same kind of thing when a man does something "feminine" as a hobby, like knitting (and yes, I realize that knitting was an effectively exclusively masculine activity until fairly recently). It's not "wrong", just out of the ordinary.

Not The Philosopher

Yes, I am a fan of cigars and pipes. Every time I exhale I feel as though I am blowing smoke into the face of this schizophrenically puritan culture.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1345755572' post='2472939']
do you actually inhale the smoke of a pipe?
[/quote]
I have read that you typically are not supposed to.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Not The Philosopher

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1345755572' post='2472939']
do you actually inhale the smoke of a pipe?
[/quote]

No; the smoke from cigars/pipes is much heavier than cigarettes. You just swish it around in your mouth a bit.

so does the flavor of the tobacco just stay in your mouth? I guess I am trying to understand the attraction to it, other than 'dude, check out this razzle dazzle pipe I'm tokin on!"?

Vincent Vega

Yes. It's about flavor, just like cigars are. Also, depending on the tobacco, it is also possible to get a nicotine buzz from them.

Furthermore, there's an entire procedure to pipe smoking that really is very relaxing and enticing, for those of us who like ritual and routine.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345756014' post='2472954']
Furthermore, there's an [i]entire procedure to pipe smoking [/i]that really is very relaxing and enticing, for those of us who like ritual and routine.
[/quote]
can you explain more?

Not The Philosopher

There's a bit of an art to packing a bowl properly, lighting it and keeping it lit. First you choose the amount you want, then you put it into the pipe bit by bit. Then you use a pipe tool (or something similar) to tamp the tobacco down. Then you take your match/lighter, and 'inhale' the flame into the tobacco while moving it about in a circle. You do this until things are consistently burning.

Edited by Not The Philosopher

Vincent Vega

Unlike cigarette, or to a lesser extent, cigar smoking, pipe smoking is not pick up and go. First you pick the tobacco you're wanting to smoke. If it's flake tobacco (http://pipesmagazine.com/python/files/2009/09/flakes.jpg) you have to shred it up a bit to make it suitable to smoke. If it's ribbon cut, you can skip the shredding. You then have to pack your pipe, about which there is much debate (as to how many times and how hard you should compress your tobacco, how many different layers of tobacco you should put in, etc etc).
After this, you are ready for the first light, the charring light. You want to char the topmost part of the tobacco, but not really get a good burn going. You extinguish this layer and then tamp the ash down. You are then ready for the real light, at which point you begin to actually smoke the tobacco. This takes some time to get used to, as well, because if you smoke too slowly, your pipe will keep going out, but if you smoke too fast, your pipe will burn hot and you can experience "tongue bite", a nasty feeling in your mouth caused by the release of chemicals when the tobacco is burning hotter than it should.
After you've finished your bowl, there is a cleaning ritual which is pretty boring, so I won't bore you with those details.

A bowl generally takes about 45 minutes to smoke, so you're looking at investing at least 1h30 from start to finish to do it right.