An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cigar Or Pipe Smoking

Slappo

Smoking cigars and pipes  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345783581' post='2473355']
Let's say everybody who smokes a pipe in the above poll smokes the least amount they can to be in the highest tier (2x a month). A 2 oz tin of tobacco lasts me about 20 bowls, I'd say, which comes out to .1 oz per bowl. That's 2.8 - call it 3 - grams per bowl. Two times a month is 6 grams a month. The smallest increment on the graphs of the data of that study were 5 grams [i]a day, [/i]or about three bowls. That's about 25 times as much as our hypothetical person would smoke in a month. Not to mention that most people said they don't even smoke that much.
If you do anything 25 times as much as a normal person does it, you're opening yourself up to health problems.
[/quote]
I would assume the surveyed Swedes like their pipes, so must smoke quite a bit, as the data seems to show.

Vincent Vega

I guess so!
It does seem that Europeans have maintained a stronger bond with their tobacco than we...perhaps chalk that up to the aforementioned puritanism.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatholicCid' timestamp='1345827808' post='2473547']

No, that means that 27% of their sample size (~25,000 Swedes) did.
[/quote]
So either a really poorly gathered sample, or Swedes smoke like chimneys.

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1345778975' post='2473301']
And I'm still saying that most of us who smoke cigars and pipes probably wouldn't answer yes to that question because it minor recreational use really doesn't affect one's overall health and we don't think of ourselves as "users". Maybe it's technically perjury, [/quote]

Actually, it's considered fraud.

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1345778975' post='2473301']
but so is saying you weigh 10 lbs less than you do on your driver's license.
[/quote]

Weight varies over time. The insurance companies are intersted in your weight as of the date of the application (or insurance physical), which may be years after your driver's license was last updated.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345782277' post='2473329']
[img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv5s8pb1SM1qb37fc.gif[/img]

"Possible relationships of death rates and other forms of tobacco use were
also investigated in the seven studies. The death rates for men smoking
less than 5 cigars a day are about the same as for non-smokers. For men
smoking more than 5 cigars daily, death rates are slightly higher. There
is some indication that these higher death rates occur primarily in men
who have been smoking more than 30 years and who inhale the smoke
some degree. The death rates for pipe smokers are little if at all higher
than for non-smokers, even for men who smoke 10 or more pipefuls a day
and for men who have smoked pipes more than 30 years. "

"Among the pipe smokers there were 28 percent who inhaled in the U.S.
study and 18 percent in the Canadian study. [b]The U.S. mortality ratios are [/b]
[b]0.8 for non-inhalers[/b] and 1.0 for inhalers; the Canadian data contain too few
deaths to allow a breakdown by inhalation. "

[url="http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBMQ"]http://profiles.nlm....Metadata/NNBBMQ[/url]

What the bolded means is that pipe smokers who do not inhale the smoke have a mortality ratio of .8. A mortality ratio of 1 means that there is one death per expected death, i.e. average lifespan. ([url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standardized_mortality_ratio"]http://en.wikipedia....mortality_ratio[/url]) A ratio of less than 1 means that the lifespan is actually (gasp) [i]longer[/i] than expected. In other words, pipe smokers who do not inhale live longer, on average, than the typical non-smoker.
[/quote]

Are you disputing the fact that in general (there are some exceptions) tobacco users are charged a higher premium than non-tobacco users?

It really depends on what insurance you have. I don't get a physical or anything for my insurance plan. Not even a questionnaire to fill out. I work for state government if anyone's curious, and my premiums are very small as the majority is paid for as part of my benefits package.

I was also surprised to find that my insurance/company didn't ask about tobacco. Of course, I'm not sure it's any worse than being obese, and that wasn't asked either...

But they do give a voluntary survey which can get you discounts on your insurance...

Edited by ardillacid

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345754191' post='2472910']
The Tat thread has me curious :).
[/quote]

I don't want to be anywhere near smoking, so I answered no on both. Winchester posting a picture of a girl in reference to me is only a matter of time...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1345853348' post='2473765']
No on both. I only smoke incense ;)
[/quote]
I bet that tastes... interesting.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345856360' post='2473795']
I bet that tastes... interesting.
[/quote]
Yeah, just like your...na, that would be nasty.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345848374' post='2473709']
It really depends on what insurance you have. I don't get a physical or anything for my insurance plan. Not even a questionnaire to fill out. I work for state government if anyone's curious, and my premiums are very small as the majority is paid for as part of my benefits package.
[/quote]
[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1345852552' post='2473756']
I was also surprised to find that my insurance/company didn't ask about tobacco. Of course, I'm not sure it's any worse than being obese, and that wasn't asked either...

But they do give a voluntary survey which can get you discounts on your insurance...
[/quote]

A lot of the "group" plans don't, but that has been changing in recent years due to employers' concerns about the rising cost of employee health insurance costs.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345836706' post='2473622']
I guess so!
It does seem that Europeans have maintained a stronger bond with their tobacco than we...perhaps chalk that up to the aforementioned puritanism.
[/quote]
Maybe. I think it has more to do with socialized medicine personally. They don't care about getting cancer because the government has to pay for it not them.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1345819233' post='2473462']
I smoke a pipe. Although compared to Master Airways, I am but a lowly novice. I need a new pipe actually. I'm thinking of making my own next time around, we'll see.
[/quote]
Crack pipes don't count.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1345819233' post='2473462']
I smoke a pipe. Although compared to Master Airways, I am but a lowly novice. I need a new pipe actually. I'm thinking of making my own next time around, we'll see.
[/quote]
I've experimented with making a corn cob pipe before. I rushed the process though, so they didn't really turn out.