An Old School Catholic Message Board

"call Me Maybe" - Vocations Edition

EmilyAnn

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346385488' post='2476570']
Is it for men even under the age of eighteen? This is the sticking-point that women vocations retreats have over male vocations retreats, if we are so blessed as to come across one.
[/quote]

I think it is, as they run a prep school for boys (Edit:7-12th grade I believe) and it is open to them as well. I asked my friend from college who was at the last retreat, so when I hear from him I will let you know the 'official' answer. :)

Edited by emmaberry

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346388664' post='2476605']
I think it is, as they run a prep school for boys (Edit:7-12th grade I believe) and it is open to them as well. I asked my friend from college who was at the last retreat, so when I hear from him I will let you know the 'official' answer. :)
[/quote]

[i]A[/i]wesome! I probably won't be able to go, but it is still [i]c[/i]ool to know I can go on some.

i<3franciscans

I thought that I was the only one who rewrote secular songs! I love this thread!!! I will have to find my remake of We Found Love and post it!

PhuturePriest

I tried to change it more, but sadly I was only able to change a few spots. It's super lame, but I'm proud of it nonetheless:

In Adoration one day,
In the silence I pray,
I looked up at the altar,
And I heard Him say.

You see that Friar right there?
With his [i]a[/i]wesome facial hair?
He listened in prayer,
And now I’m calling you.

I want you as mine,
True bread, and the true vine,
For in my path you’ll shine,
Will you come and serve my Church?

Did I just hear that?
No, this is crazy!
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

It's hard to think straight,
It’s all so hazy,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Did I just hear that?
No, this is crazy!
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Poverty and chastity,
Obedience too,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

I will listen to your call,
To you I will give my all,
I will make myself small,
Your light will shine in me.

I ask you mother Mary
Please help me, it’s scary
I didn't know I would hear it,
But He’s calling me.

I am the true vine,
I want you as mine,
In my path you’ll shine,
Will you come and serve my Church?

Did I just hear that?
No, this is crazy!
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

It’s all so hazy,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Did I just hear that?
No, this is crazy!
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Poverty and chastity,
Obedience too,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Before you came into my life
I messed up so bad
I messed up so bad
I messed up so, so bad

I messed up so bad
And you forgave all
I messed up so, so bad

It’s all so hazy,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Did I just hear that?
No, this is crazy!
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

Poverty and chastity,
Obedience too,
Could it really be,
He called me, maybe?

I messed up so bad
I messed up so bad
I messed up so, so bad

I messed up so bad
And you forgave all
He called me, maybe?

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346557816' post='2477474']
Oh, and I give that as a birthday present to DiscerningCatholic.
[/quote]
You're seriously way too amesome. :nun1:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1346558031' post='2477476']
You're seriously way too amesome. :nun1:
[/quote]

Aw. Thanks! You're amesome too! :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346390077' post='2476614']
[i]A[/i]wesome! I probably won't be able to go, but it is still [i]c[/i]ool to know I can go on some.
[/quote]

Definitely! I can't imagine the agony of feeling a strong call to religious life and not being 'of the age' yet. I am very thankful God called when I was old enough to answer pretty much right away. If I'd had to wait for years, I don't know if I would've persevered in discerning a religious vocation.

All you 'young' discerners (I am only 19) greatly impress me with your patience!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346559270' post='2477490']
Definitely! I can't imagine the agony of feeling a strong call to religious life and not being 'of the age' yet. I am very thankful God called when I was old enough to answer pretty much right away. If I'd had to wait for years, I don't know if I would've persevered in discerning a religious vocation.

All you 'young' discerners (I am only 19) greatly impress me with your patience!
[/quote]

Patience for me was forced, trust me. I wanted to do it NOW! NOW! NOW! I still want to do it as soon as I possibly can, but I have gotten to where I am happily waiting to enter, whereas I was restlessly waiting before.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346559679' post='2477492']
Patience for me was forced, trust me. I wanted to do it NOW! NOW! NOW! I still want to do it as soon as I possibly can, but I have gotten to where I am happily waiting to enter, whereas I was restlessly waiting before.
[/quote]

I even feel that way where I am. That is another difference I have noticed between men and women communities-there are woman communities where 12 year olds are welcome on retreat with them, and there are men's communities where you have to be 25 (or older) to even contact them for info! This is a general statement, of course, but it must be hard to be young and discerning men's communities.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346561637' post='2477505']
I even feel that way where I am. That is another difference I have noticed between men and women communities-there are woman communities where 12 year olds are welcome on retreat with them, and there are men's communities where you have to be 25 (or older) to even contact them for info! This is a general statement, of course, but it must be hard to be young and discerning men's communities.
[/quote]

It is especially difficult when discerning with male Communities. The first two Communities I discerned with were the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (The ones at EWTN) and the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. The Missionaries require you to be twenty one to join, no exceptions, and the Friars of the Renewal require you to be twenty-two for you to join, no exceptions. This was so difficult on me. I eventually found Communities that allowed me to enter at eighteen, and the Community I have been somewhat sure of for nine months allows men to enter at seventeen, which I think no other male Community in the world does. I can't go on live-ins or anything until I am a legal adult. I'm not sure if this is because of the scandals or what, but it is difficult at times to face.

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346561938' post='2477508']
It is especially difficult when discerning with male Communities. The first two Communities I discerned with were the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (The ones at EWTN) and the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. The Missionaries require you to be twenty one to join, no exceptions, and the Friars of the Renewal require you to be twenty-two for you to join, no exceptions. This was so difficult on me. I eventually found Communities that allowed me to enter at eighteen, and the Community I have been somewhat sure of for nine months allows men to enter at seventeen, which I think no other male Community in the world does. I can't go on live-ins or anything until I am a legal adult. I'm not sure if this is because of the scandals or what, but it is difficult at times to face.
[/quote] So.... If you can't go on live-ins until you're a legal adult, and you're only a legal adult when you turn 18, how on earth can you enter at 17?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346561938' post='2477508']
[/quote]
It sounds like you will be 16 soon, and then be on your way to entrance if that is the community God has for you. Moving right along!

On another note, a friend of mine entered the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming and left. He was a freshmen with me but 20, I think. He may have entered at 18 or 19. He said that they were very quick with the discernment/entrance process-take this with a grain of salt, since the community is not here to speak for itself. Anway, you may not even be looking to be a monk, but I just thought I'd bring them up! They are one of only a handful of male communities that I am even somewhat acquainted with.

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1346645645' post='2477774']
So.... If you can't go on live-ins until you're a legal adult, and you're only a legal adult when you turn 18, how on earth can you enter at 17?
[/quote]

My question as well.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1346645645' post='2477774']
So.... If you can't go on live-ins until you're a legal adult, and you're only a legal adult when you turn 18, how on earth can you enter at 17?
[/quote]

Parental consent. You can legally become an adult when you are seventeen. This is why I could join the Marines at seventeen if I wanted to.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346650613' post='2477805']
It sounds like you will be 16 soon, and then be on your way to entrance if that is the community God has for you. Moving right along!

On another note, a friend of mine entered the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming and left. He was a freshmen with me but 20, I think. He may have entered at 18 or 19. He said that they were very quick with the discernment/entrance process-take this with a grain of salt, since the community is not here to speak for itself. Anway, you may not even be looking to be a monk, but I just thought I'd bring them up! They are one of only a handful of male communities that I am even somewhat acquainted with.
[/quote]

Yep! :) It's going so much faster than I ever thought it would. God has granted my forced patience with much fruit, and I am ever thankful.

Ha, I know what you mean about not knowing many male Communities. I could probably name three female Communities at the most, and not even the official names. Nashville Dominicans, DSMME (Whatever that stands for), and the Poor Clare Nuns at EWTN. :hehe:

I am leaning more towards being a Franciscan Friar, but the Monks grab my attention from time to time.