An Old School Catholic Message Board

News From Nunsense

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

Ok, here is the news....

On December 6th, our former Prioress is celebrating her Golden Jubilee and I wanted to be here for that, and for Christmas, especially as it is a busy time of the year for the Sacristan and I wanted to help out. I asked Our Reverend Mother for permission to go home early (after a two month live-in instead of a three month one) and she took it too the community. They had a formal vote and today I was notified that I have been accepted as a postulant and may go home early so I can try to get my visa and return by early December. If I had left in November, there wouldn't have been time for everything to get completed and enable me to return for the Jubilee. So I am leaving here in 9 days (on October 16th, the day after Our Holy Mother St Teresa's Solemnity) for San Francisco to spend two days with my brother to recover from the flight and then on to Melbourne on the 18th. Everyone here has been fantastic about this.I always seem to be asking them for strange requests and they show me show me so much love and support.

Our Sacristan is away on retreat for a couple of weeks as from Tuesday so the the week before I leave I will be in charge of the Sacristy again - even during Our Holy Mother's Solemnity! Everyone will help and support me I know, but it is still a bit intimidating to know that I have this reponsibility for a whole week. When I leave, one of the other sister's will take it over, and she has told me that she will be there to offer me help if I need it. She has been Sacristan before and knows where things are and what to do. I feel so blessed.

I have asked Our Reverend Mother for the name of Teresa (the same one I had last time) but this time instead of being Sister Teresa of Jesus, I asked if I could be Sister Teresa of the Cross, and she said she would think about it. As she went out the Sacristy door this afternoon, she said, 'A combination of our two greatest saints." So I am thinking that she will be favorable to it.These two saints are my favorites, and I even have a medal on my Rosary that has St Teresa on one side and St John on the other. It was given to me at one of the Carmels I have been in, and I treasure it very much. I also think the name is appropriate for me given my history, and the fact that on the actual day of Our Holy Mother St Teresa's death we had a little shrine set up to her in choir with her relic, statue and a candle, and a dish of cards that had gifts from Our Holy Mother printed on them.We each took one card as wewent to our place, and mine was the gift of the joy of suffering, and promised that I would learn the sweetness of suffering for love. I was overwhelmed at the time and nearly cried with joy. Sounds daft I know, but it just reminded me that Our Lord suffered for us and that we can come close to Him when we too suffer for love.

As you can probably tell from this post, I am very happy right now.I have to go prepare the Sacristy now for Vespers and Benediction, such a grace - and it just goes to show that not all sweetness is wrapped in suffering - some of it is just plain old sweet!

Edited for typos - sorry if I missed some.....

Edited by nunsense

Nunsense!!!!!

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news, and not only will you be there for St Teresa's Solemnity... you will also be back for that of St. John of the Cross!!!!!

This just sounds.... right.

Prayers....

AnneLine

Mary's Margaret

Nunsense, I am SO happy for you. Prayers for your travel away and back home.
And your hoped-for name is beautiful! Thanks be to God...and your loving community.

Totally Franciscan

Nunsense, you were teasing us from your post of 9/29 saying your news is not what we might think, but alas it is! You have been accepted! I am so happy for you and know your joy cannot be contained right now. Thanks be to God!

SUCH wonderful news!!!! Very happy for you, nunsense!!! :woot: :nun2: :clap: :nun1:

p.s. love the name too!! hope you get it! combination of those two saints .. wow! :saint:

This is indeed wonderful news, nunsense - wonderful! Must admit that when you had news but not quite what we expected, my heart dropped a little but then it didn't sit quite right with me. I hope all will go well all the way to final vows! I love your chosen name in religious life too - very Carmelite. I think your name really fits you and hope it will be confirmed for you - you love all things Carmelite reflecting St Teresa of Avila, the reformer of Carmel, and you are a gifted writer reflecting St Benedicta of The Cross (Edith Stein). And the message you got from your prayer card - to come to love The Cross with Joy would be an outstanding blessing indeed.

VeniJesuAmorMi

God reward you for sharing this news! I could certainly sense your happiness in your post. I've read so many of your writings about your journey, and I'm so happy for you! :heart: