An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

ARFink and fellow threadists,

Just posted an update on my MIL in the BG thread -- prayers for her and for us are gratefully accepted.   She's going onto hospice and moving out of the rehab faciity.   Check that thread for details.

It's the right move.. but it is hard -- for her and for all of us.  Prayers, please....

Hehe, yes I know. This conversation brought to you by the Cathedral Young Adults group, who invited me to go to the shooting range with them. But I can't go, because it's bring-your-own-gun and I don't have one. Oh well.

I've known YA groups to do a lot of things... this is not one of them.  I would think they could find something better to do?  But perhaps it is just that old AnneLine is uh, old.  

And terrified of guns....

...............................mistletoe8.png

:crazyshoot: 

Edited by AnneLine

Well, they do all kinds of things. Volunteer stuff, caroling, going out for drinks (not my thing) or bowling or whatever. All kinds of fun stuff. I guess since we're in a big city they get a lot of diverse interests. :idontknow:

Yeah, I know.... we did the same kind of mix of stuff.  LOVED being part of most of it.. .and I also skipped out on most of the drinking adventures.

...and you never know... shooting might be a useful skill.....   learned all sorts of new stuff when i was in ours. 

Dinosaur rustling, that kind of thing....

:brutebeast:

Edited by AnneLine

awwww.....

On a more serious note... related to the above...  I just about threw something thru the TV when some idiot "Doctor" blamed social media for the people who raped a girl in Ohio... because being on social media makes people have no ability to care about others.

Grrrr.    KILLL... bad 'mental health professional'    :brutebeast: GRRRRR

Sociopathic is NOT the same as social media...    :brutebeast: is angry.... GRRRR

Edited by AnneLine

All the slicing of acrylic today produced these little wonders. :)

IMG_3493.JPG

They don't look like much quite yet because there is more to do with them, mainly to add motors and screws and little teflon bits and an Arduino microcontroller for the whole works. This will mount on top of a microscope stage when it's all done.

You know what's scary? Filing self-employed taxes. And I'm gonna have to look into doing that. Soon.

This will be ugly.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p505/ch02.html#d0e6371^^^    What will be uglier, ARFink, is if you have made enough $$$$ to trigger having to file quarterly returns, and you don't do that.  SO.... .be sure you don't owe anything by the end of the first quarter.. 

"If you are filing as a sole proprietor, partner, S corporation shareholder, and/or a self-employed individual, you generally have to make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe tax of $1,000 or more when you file your return."

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Estimated-Taxes

it's been about 20 years, and I still have nightmares.... and I'm not sure, but deadline might be in January for those? But I'm not sure..

These links might help....

Looks like there is a virtual seminar on this one (at the bottom)....

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employed-Individuals-Tax-Center

WARNING - scary document below.  This is the 'official gov't publication' on this.  Be prepared for high-bureaucrateze....

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p505/ch02.html#d0e6371

Edited by AnneLine

brianthephysicist
That's cool, but they don't say how the beam is produced at all. It's just pictures of the target. Stupid Fox reporters don't even point the cameras at the stuff we WANT to see, that is to say, the actual laser!

I was so lost lol.  It took me halfway through to figure out they were fusing hydrogen and not heavy metals (looking for the "island of stability").  And you're so right about wanting to see the laser.  Or at least the cavity or even the lasing material.

I was so lost lol.  It took me halfway through to figure out they were fusing hydrogen and not heavy metals (looking for the "island of stability").  And you're so right about wanting to see the laser.  Or at least the cavity or even the lasing material.

I mean, they don't even explain the way the laser works. Can it be fired continuously? Or is it only in short bursts? What is the laser made out of? At peak output, how much power does it consume? What wavelength is it? Stuff like that. :)

brianthephysicist
I mean, they don't even explain the way the laser works. Can it be fired continuously? Or is it only in short bursts? What is the laser made out of? At peak output, how much power does it consume? What wavelength is it? Stuff like that. :)

They implied that it was a pulsed laser, not continuous.  But they don't talk about things like rep rate, peak intensity vs power, or even a simplified explanation of the specific pulse generation technique. 

They did give the max output power, 500 terawatts, but they didn't say how long that runs for.  1 microsecond? 1 second?  1 hour?  That's an incredibly important distinction.

I'm not sure, but I think what the problem is is that the reporter didn't have a clue what s/he was looking at.  Neither did the photographer.  And so the photographer just 'aimed and shot' a picture down the barrel of the thing.  Missy, what do you think?  This is your part of the world...

I have the same reaction whenever there is an article about the nuclear accelerator / linear collider at Lawrence Livermore Lab out in California... usually the the articles and pictures make no sense... 'cause the person asking the questions doesn't know what it is they are looking at....

Better article... because this guy knows what he is talking about.  I'm not sure the photos are any better.  Are they? I've copied just the pix and the captions below... article looks like a good one.... probably because it is by a PHYSICIST, right Brian?

https://www.llnl.gov/str/VanBibber.html

VanBibberopen.gif

VanBibber1.gif

VanBibber3.gif

Edited by AnneLine

I've been thinking of lunch dishes I can make which will be healthier than the usual rubbish I have for lunch. Today I tried tostadas, and with a few changes I think it could work out nicely.

The basic idea is to get a bunch of those little white (or yellow) corn tortillas that they sell in the Mexican section of my local grocery store. I'll brush them with some olive oil and bake them in a very hot oven until they are crispy. I dunno how well they'll store, so maybe I'll do them in smallish batches or something. In the past I have cooked these in a pan with some olive oil in the bottom, but I think they maybe absorb too much oil this way. The brush-n-bake method will probably make them less oily. I'll try this some time later this week.

Then I can pile a bunch of different things on top. Today when I did this I used two of these crunchy corn tortillas, and put 1/2 oz of white cheddar on each one, and then some salsa, and then a heaping handful of lettuce. I wanted to use some beans, but didn't have any. It was pretty good. It would be better with some beans for more protein though I think. I could also try fresh tomatoes when they are back in season, or peppers. Peppers would be nice. :)