An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

ARFink, that sounds really good and really healthy.  You can also include  low fat meats or fish -- chicken, turkey, fish -- or even beef you want to that (3-4 ounces would be good) and all the veges you can handle... saute some peppers and/or onions in a little bit of oil, and some tomato, include lots of lettuce and/or other green and bright colored veges.  You can also use some extra vinegar with that salsa (that way it won't be so dry) and even reasonable amounts (a tablespoon or so) of avocado/guacamole and sour cream.  YOU NEED some fats... just healthy ones in moderation.  

Check out what the Chipotle chain does if you want some ideas -- they post their nutrition stuff... just stay away from ALL the goodies like sour cream, salsa, etc. in unlimited amounts.

A big plate of veges and the other stuff will hold you a LONG time.  And give you energy and nutrients....

I'm thinking about starting an AnneLine's kitchen table thread... any interest guys?

Edited by AnneLine

RECYCLING DAY!!!!!!    But lest we forget....  I saved us some...   behave yourself, ARFink... I've saved some Holly Switches for St. Nicholas to bring to bad little girls and boys next year....  he he he...  :brutebeast:

mistletoe8.pngmistletoe8.pngmistletoe8.png

Heck yes!

Will see if there are other votes for a random thread including some cooking, some randoming, etc.... I've been scrounging off you and Missy and BG for long enough I think... and with C not requiring quite so much of my time, may be more do-able....

ARFink and Brian -- did you like that article and photos?  I think all the words are right but I don't completely understand it so I am not sure.  BUt I think it is a much better presentation of the photos... and seems to address the things you bothsaid should be addressed... I could probably even understand it if I took the time to read it more carefully.   (Bad AnneLine.... holly branches may be in your future, too!)

I love the photos from that article Annie, although not specifically of a laser but of an accelerator. It's very cool to see how they make the actual acceleration modules. Just the sort of geeky stuff I love to see. I especially loved the showing of the cross-sections they cut out and then assemble together to make the wave guide. :)

I decided to take some time to paint again today. I did a portrait of my new friend, the tiny stuffed owl my mom made me.

Click the link to see a photo of the real thing, and compare them. :)

owl+puff.png

http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/01/daily-draw-owl-puff.html

^^^^ he's darling!   And a very good likeness!  

Next, try drawing the hand, with the owl, too...... a group portrait.

Michelangelo was told by his first teacher to draw his hand every day..... he asked if it should be the right or the left, and the teacher said, the left of course, how would you draw the right one.  He insisted, 'drawing with right or left, it makes no difference..." 

Sure wish that was MY problem, but it is a very good exercise to draw you own hands...  and I find it very spiritual too, because God chose to live in one of these.... what an awesome thought.....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glad you liked the photos -- I thought that the one with the externalize section was exceptionally well done.  Made me, a non-scientist and non-user, able to understand what they were describing.  THAT is the sign of a good teacher...  of course, I like hands, and this has a hand in it... ;)

VanBibber1.gif

Edited by AnneLine

Ever wondered what it would be like to play with dental x-ray machines?

Well, this woman has a very rare and unique piece of Apollo program history, a piece of the launch computer from the Saturn 5 rocket! She wanted to see what was inside of some of this stuff, but since it's so rare she didn't want to take anything apart. So she went to the dentist's office and used their machines! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zWGpF05zhdU

Here she is showing off the board itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J0ggqY7vnAw

This is mind-bogglingly advanced for the time period. People don't seem to believe this, but NASA's work to get us to the moon completely revolutionized computers, almost singlehandedly. Why? Because our modern obsession with computers that are faster and smaller was driven almost entirely by NASA's need to launch them on rockets. Prior to that, everyone was quite content to leave them in warehouses. If NASA had not demanded that the computer be on board, computers would never have been miniaturized.

brianthephysicist
I'm not sure, but I think what the problem is is that the reporter didn't have a clue what s/he was looking at.  Neither did the photographer.  And so the photographer just 'aimed and shot' a picture down the barrel of the thing.  Missy, what do you think?  This is your part of the world...

I have the same reaction whenever there is an article about the nuclear accelerator / linear collider at Lawrence Livermore Lab out in California... usually the the articles and pictures make no sense... 'cause the person asking the questions doesn't know what it is they are looking at....

Better article... because this guy knows what he is talking about.  I'm not sure the photos are any better.  Are they? I've copied just the pix and the captions below... article looks like a good one.... probably because it is by a PHYSICIST, right Brian?

https://www.llnl.gov/str/VanBibber.html

VanBibberopen.gif

VanBibber1.gif

VanBibber3.gif

I only had a chance to read the first couple paragraphs and it is immediately obvious that the person knows what they're talking about.  This is wonderful.

brianthephysicist

Hey Arfink, I forgot to say earlier, but I am proud to say that today, I soldered for the first time. I didn't burn myself or anyone else and the wires worked by the time I was finished. :yay:

Hey Arfink, I forgot to say earlier, but I am proud to say that today, I soldered for the first time. I didn't burn myself or anyone else and the wires worked by the time I was finished. :yay:

I am so proud of you buddy! :) I remember my first time soldering- it was magic!

I don't think that would be good for me at all.  No.   Definitely not.   Spiritual soldiering, possibly.  Soldering... no way....  shiver...

YOU... ARFINK.... YOU!  

Take that THING ^^^^  back and put it back where you found it.  Do not bring that into the house!!!!!!

OK, Anne Line is going OFF line for a little while now... taking me a mini-vacation.  Gonna have a LONG hot shower, enjoy a wonderful potroast and veges... and then go out to a meeing of the not-so-young adults for a few hours.   I need a night off.  I really need a night off!!!!!!!

A thought... We're reading this fantastic book by Fr. Christopher Jamison on Finding Sanctuary... and this week's chapter is on Community.  He speaks about community happening when people focus on the needs of the group and the others more than their own needs.... while trusting that as the others are doing the same, our own needs get met.  It is a brilliant concept... and reminds me of many of the 'random' threads on Phatmass..... and this is one of those threads.  Thank you.  For being there.  For supporting me.   For letting me support you.  Yeah.

Check out this video of him.. I think he is AWESOME!  I haven't read Finding Happiness but after Finding Sanctuary, I expect it will be incredible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIi_NQ-e070

Wheeee... gonna make you all jealous as I zoom out the door.

Just had a WONDERFUL dinner of an amazing pot roast... and no matter what you guess, you will NEVER guess how I cooked it.    Well, you might guess the container, but I doubt you'll EVER figure out how I made it.....

And with that tantalizing and delectible puzzle firmly planted in your minds, I leave you to drool....    :brutebeast: