An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

Oooooh... New word for the day:  Écorché

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89corch%C3%A9

Hm... OK.... kind of a 21st century anatomical exercise....

Human%20Anatomy%20(Folio%20I,%20II)%2056

http://artistanatomy.com/artist_anatomy_idealized_proportion_plates.html

check out the above link... really interesting....

OK, this is the curious counselor in me coming out.... and you don't have to answer this....   when I was given some testing that confirmed my own learning disabilities, at one point they were fascinated because I completed a puzzle VERY quickly and completely upside down.  Apparently they felt it was super diagnostic or some such thing.

I am asking because.... you have dropped in a drawing of your left hand... but you draw with your left hand.  Were you modeling off your right hand and reversed it... or did you actually draw your left hand WITH your left hand.... I have a follow-up question ready after you answer that... and I can almost see you scrunching head and hand around 'cause I do the same kind of thing.....

Ball in your court....

I did what any sensible digital artist would do- pose my hand, and take a picture of it. Then draw. :)

OK, this is why I asked.  In Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstacy, Michelangelo is told to practice drawing the hand he does NOT draw with each day as a practice exercise.   When he finishes that, he instinctively starts drawing the drawing hand.   The other apprentices a bit peeved at him for showing off... but he just looks at them strangely and says, right, left, it just doesn't matter. 

So I was curious if it would matter to you, oh gifted one....

I am SO jealous of your talent (in the best sense of the term).. don't want to take it away, but very awed...

Myself, I figured you might have done what any digital artist might ALSO have done... flipped the drawing .... ;) 

I dunno why people get jealous... I mean, I'm working from photos. If you saw how I worked you wouldn't be that surprised I think.

OK... yeah, I see your point.    Jealous is probably the wrong word.   It's more of a combination of awe at the gift, gratitude to the Giver of all Gifts, and a realization that even given a million years, I wouldn't be able to do the same thing.   It is in the eye, the mind, and the gift is different than the one(s) I have been given.  And I'm not complaining, mind you -- God's been generous with me, with ALL of us I suspect -- but that looks to be a real special one, and I am happy for you.....

Rather like looking at the videos of Roy Clark and the other musicians having such a great time making music... I can enjoy it, I can vicariously imagine myself in there... .I can retrieve my OWN memories of doing live music... but I know I will never be in that league.  Glad for them, but a bit ... whistful. 

Does this make any sense?  Anyone else have a parallel reaction?

To Jesus Through Mary

ALL OF MY CCD KIDS PASSED THEIR MIDTERM!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT!!!! :woot:  :woot:  :woot:

I am so stinkin' proud of them!!  When I looked over their papers and saw they all passed I almost started to cry! They worked so hard!! Then we were drawing after and one of my little girls drew a picture of me teaching. And I wasn't yelling ;) This is a good day and huge victory. 

ALL OF MY CCD KIDS PASSED THEIR MIDTERM!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

I am so stinkin' proud of them!! When I looked over their papers and saw they all passed I almost started to cry! They worked so hard!! Then we were drawing after and one of my little girls drew a picture of me teaching. And I wasn't yelling ;) This is a good day and huge victory.

Great on all fronts TJTM!!!!!!   Sounds like THEY passed and YOU passed!!!!!!!  :winner:

Update -- I go away for a while now.... Coffee, shower and Mass... sounds like a WONDERFUL plan.... and Mass only last because I need the other 2 to get ready....  ;)

Edited by AnneLine

ALL OF MY CCD KIDS PASSED THEIR MIDTERM!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT!!!! :woot:  :woot:  :woot:

I am so stinkin' proud of them!!  When I looked over their papers and saw they all passed I almost started to cry! They worked so hard!! Then we were drawing after and one of my little girls drew a picture of me teaching. And I wasn't yelling ;) This is a good day and huge victory. 

Aaaaaah, yay! You can always tell what an artistic kid thinks of you by asking him to draw a picture of you.

To Jesus Through Mary
OK... yeah, I see your point.    Jealous is probably the wrong word.   It's more of a combination of awe at the gift, gratitude to the Giver of all Gifts, and a realization that even given a million years, I wouldn't be able to do the same thing.   It is in the eye, the mind, and the gift is different than the one(s) I have been given.  And I'm not complaining, mind you -- God's been generous with me, with ALL of us I suspect -- but that looks to be a real special one, and I am happy for you.....

Rather like looking at the videos of Roy Clark and the other musicians having such a great time making music... I can enjoy it, I can vicariously imagine myself in there... .I can retrieve my OWN memories of doing live music... but I know I will never be in that league.  Glad for them, but a bit ... whistful. 

Does this make any sense?  Anyone else have a parallel reaction?

Yeah, makes sense to me- I have had a parallel reaction I guess. Sometimes I wish I was a great thinker or scholar like my brother... to be model beautiful. like my sister.. or super sociable/funny like many of my good friends. Like you I recognize that God has given me different gifts. It is neat to see others gifts, and kind of normal to be whistful I think.... IMO

Yeah, makes sense to me- I have had a parallel reaction I guess. Sometimes I wish I was a great thinker or scholar like my brother... to be model beautiful. like my sister.. or super sociable/funny like many of my good friends. Like you I recognize that God has given me different gifts. It is neat to see others gifts, and kind of normal to be whistful I think.... IMO

Wistful? Yeah, I know that feeling. Every time I see a roman collar. :P (not quite... but kinda)

Edited by arfink

Don't give us an opening like that, ARFink... we might pray for you.... and Lord knows what kind of picture God might draw.... ;)  :brutebeast:

Don't give us an opening like that, ARFink... we might pray for you.... and Lord knows what kind of picture God might draw.... ;)  :brutebeast:

You are mean, you know that right? :P

I should design something or draw something or write something or make something. But all I want to make is macaroni. It's 4PM. Who makes macaroni in the middle of the afternoon?

To Jesus Through Mary
I should design something or draw something or write something or make something. But all I want to make is macaroni. It's 4PM. Who makes macaroni in the middle of the afternoon?

You. If you actually make it. 

I knew my fellow introvert would appreciate this. I am off to a goodbye party at a bar, where there will be lots of people, and I only know 2. I have nothing cute to wear. But you know between yesterday and today I don't think anything could take me down! Bring on the awkward silence!!! 

Awkward_Turtle_by_Sidoneon.png

Again, I will tell BOTH of you that CLOTHES are always appropriate.  How often do I need to stress this?

lucy2.jpg?w=309&h=309

Big Parties at bars = introrvert hell...

Did you both know that we have SO MANY introverts in our circle of friends and relatives that we actually had a silent lounge for the introverts at our wedding?  The extroverts thought it was just the room for the gifts... but we left some chairs, couches & tables in the other end of the room, and told the introverts it was THEIR QUIET SPACE and many, many of them took us up on it.....

Only bad thing was WE couldn't go and hang out in there..... WE had to walk aaround dressed like a White Whale and a Butler all day...  but it was a fun day nonetheless....

Introvert survival skills.... well, visiting rest rooms and walking around the block are among the options (if it isn't too cold, wet, snowy, etc....)  Pairing off with ONE person and turning your back on the crowd sometimes works...  or just closing your eyes and mentally visiting the Bl. Sacrament from afar.....

Macaroni is yummy.  We have mexican fast food takeout because after Mass, Mike looked at me and said, I don't think you are cooking anything today.  He's a thoughtful, throughly nice guy. :)   

And also, he had a $5 coupon for a 18 piece special.  

Not sure which one was the REAL motivating factor, but I'll take it...

Edited by AnneLine