An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

Well, I just read about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

ceass-575x431.jpeg

Happy Feast of the Ass!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ass

The Feast of the Ass is an old French custom for the Monday after the last day of Christmas. (Epiphany in the old calendar, but now we mark the last day as the Baptism of the Lord, so that means the Feast of the Ass is today!)

Practices

A girl with child on a donkey would be led through town to the church, where the donkey would stand beside the altar during the sermon, and the congregation would “hee-haw” their responses to the priest.

Mass was continued, and at its end, apparently without awakening the least consciousness of its impropriety, the following direction (in Latin) was observed:

In fine Missae sacerdos, versus ad populum, vice ‘Ite, Missa est’, ter hinhannabit: populus vero, vice ‘Deo Gratias’, ter respondebit, ‘Hinham, hinham, hinham.’

(At the end of Mass, the priest, having turned to the people, in lieu of saying the ‘Ite missa est‘, will bray thrice; the people instead of replying ‘Deo Gratias’ say, ‘Hinham, hinham, hinham.’)

And they would process around singing this hymn:

Orientis partibus

Adventavit Asinus

Pulcher et fortissimus

Sarcinis aptissimus.

Hez, Sire Asnes, car chantez,

Belle bouche rechignez,

Vous aurez du foin assez

Et de l'avoine a plantez.

(From the Eastern lands the Ass is come, beautiful and very brave, well fitted to bear burdens. Up! Sir Ass, and sing. Open your pretty mouth. Hay will be yours in plenty, and oats in abundance.)

Praying for you, sir!!!

That is an incredible story, ARFink, about the Feast of the Ass!  I LOVE it...  and as far as the response from the people 'hinham, hinham, hinham' --- Anne Line's maiden name was Hingham!!!!   (the real Saint, not this pseudo one...)

Got word this morning that a good friend of mine, a very holy Religious sister who has suffered from ALS for many years, died early tis morning.   Sr A loved animals, she loved St. Francis... I think she'd be THRILLED to know that today -- her heavenly birthday! -- is the Feast of the Ass!!!   She would literally be : rotfl: -- pray for her.... I know she will pray for you, too....

Edited by AnneLine

This guy (Eric Standley) makes art with laser cut paper. Which he laboriously cuts and pastes and cuts and pastes until he builds up something like this out of 120 sheets of heavy card:

http://ericstandley.30art.com/index.php?menu_id=1011

112089.1024.jpg

I'd love to design something like this today. After lunch I'll sit down and make a little one.

http://youtu.be/bJWJt_lgd4g

That totally made me dizzy. 

More like seasick....    :x 

~~~ + ~~~

That artwork is neat, ARFink.  And it kind of reminds me of a kind of paper art which was popular oh... 150 -200 yrs ago....? 

It's called 'Quilling'  Had an art teacher teach it to us when I was in school -- found it FASCINATING....

Per Wikipedia:

Quilling or paper filigree is an art form that involves the use of strips of paper that are rolled, shaped, and glued together to create decorative designs. The paper is wound around a quill to create a basic coil shape. The paper is then glued at the tip and these shaped coils are arranged to form flowers, leaves, and various ornamental patterns similar to ironwork.

During the Renaissance, French and Italian nuns and monks used quilling to decorate book covers and religious items. The paper most commonly used was strips of paper trimmed from the gilded edges of books. These gilded paper strips were then rolled to create the quilled shapes. Quilling often imitated the original ironwork of the day.

In the 18th century, quilling became popular in Europe where gentle ladies of quality ("ladies of leisure") practiced the art. It was one of the few things ladies could do that was thought not too taxing for their minds or gentle dispositions. Quilling also spread to the Americas and there are a few examples from Colonial times.

Read rest of article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling

the-art-of-turning-paper-strips-001.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

brianthephysicist
Well, did my first chunk of paid work for my newest client tonight. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited.

Also, my sister made me another tiny stuffed toy:

IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG

Nope! Chuck Testa.

Lol, all kidding aside those little guys are awesome.  When is your sister going into business with you so I can buy one?

Going to a party tonight. What do I wear? It's our young adults group Really Late Epiphany Party. I know next to nothing about what this party is gonna be like. Hence the conundrum of what to wear.

Will a collared shirt and tie be too much? How about just the collared shirt? If I have a shirt and tie, do I wear the vest for some extra flash? Or should I be dressing casual? WAT DO?

Be Batman. Always be Batman.

Or you could wear a bowtie.  Bowties are cool.

I did what any sensible digital artist would do- pose my hand, and take a picture of it. Then draw. :)

Smarter man than I.

ALL OF MY CCD KIDS PASSED THEIR MIDTERM!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT!!!! :woot:  :woot:  :woot:

I am so stinkin' proud of them!!  When I looked over their papers and saw they all passed I almost started to cry! They worked so hard!! Then we were drawing after and one of my little girls drew a picture of me teaching. And I wasn't yelling ;) This is a good day and huge victory. 

Yay!

I should design something or draw something or write something or make something. But all I want to make is macaroni. It's 4PM. Who makes macaroni in the middle of the afternoon?

I do.

Today a thousand little things have been beating against me, trying to break me down. I'm gonna stand with God though. He will shield me, prop me up, make me stronger yet.

You've got this bro.

Well, I just read about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

ceass-575x431.jpeg

Happy Feast of the Ass!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ass

The Feast of the Ass is an old French custom for the Monday after the last day of Christmas. (Epiphany in the old calendar, but now we mark the last day as the Baptism of the Lord, so that means the Feast of the Ass is today!)

And they would process around singing this hymn:

Orientis partibus
Adventavit Asinus
Pulcher et fortissimus
Sarcinis aptissimus.

Hez, Sire Asnes, car chantez,
Belle bouche rechignez,
Vous aurez du foin assez
Et de l'avoine a plantez.

(From the Eastern lands the Ass is come, beautiful and very brave, well fitted to bear burdens. Up! Sir Ass, and sing. Open your pretty mouth. Hay

Haha that's hilarious!

This guy (Eric Standley) makes art with laser cut paper. Which he laboriously cuts and pastes and cuts and pastes until he builds up something like this out of 120 sheets of heavy card:

http://ericstandley.30art.com/index.php?menu_id=1011

112089.1024.jpg

Wow.  Just wow.  I don't even have words for that.

Being treated like a full time intern instead of a contractor is really getting under my skin. And it's probably not legal either. :(

That's tough, ARFink.  Prayers for you and for them.   God is ultimately your supervisor and your best Customer.  Focus on keeping Him happy.....

Two people I barely know just decided to throw some free advertising my way on Google+, by sharing my information and encouraging their friends to buy from me. I'm all a-sniffle about it. :cry4: So many people who are so good to me.