An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

45 days.

By the time I get back from Italy, it will only be 36 days (!)

There is a lot of stuff that I can already say just won't get done-

Crazy/exciting/I need more time/No, I want in now/etc..

Poem of the Day

Whom God Loves, He Chastises

"Whom God loves, He chastises; and He

scourges every son whom He receives."

-Heb 12:6

Reciprocally suds-splashed, skirts colliding

In narrow cloisters, or invoking gravely

The Trinity's Third Person on

Our shelling of the peas,

We laced the communal months with strings of days

Lifted from shared profundities, together,

Investigated midnight with our psalms,

Summoned the dawn with antiphons, and pondered

With hymns the twilight mysteries, together,

Not braced for flat of hand on cheek of life,

On fragile pulse of heart, till sunlight was

Shadow-invaded, shade-infested, stricken

With sudden spectres.

Tilting soul on soul

Came God to write the great good news of love

Deeper, deeper in the cauterized hearts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGIN CHIQUI QUOTE
Just did a google image search on it. It's from here, http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=4281185&postcount=10 & was just a guess :o

END CHIQUI QUOTE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:  :( Quote not working.

Good-thank you Chiquitunga! I was worried about these (fictional) hungry nuns. :P

Edited by emmaberry101

Will post a couple poems today because I will be gone for a week (is that rejoicing from the pham I hear? :P)

Poem of the Day

Epitaph

Here lies the ideals of Saint Francis,

Pressed in the folds of earth, the little plant,

Drooped to a smile of meager flesh and bone.

Here lies the triumph of the little poor man,

The lovely, wasted witness to his dream.

Bring no polite compassion to her coffin

And stay the pitying upward flight of brow

For Francis and his dream without a haven,

His mad impossible schemes. Here lies the proof

His dream was wholly possible to her heart.

Here lies the refutation for crawling cautions;

Sweet, mute rebuttal to any compromise.

Her crypt is full of flower talk, and gladly

The stars come swimming down to kiss her face

Caught in its quiet splendor. Be still! Be still!

The place is full of angel talk or song.

Here lies the fragile flower of Saint Francis

Stronger than armies! here, the unswerving gaze

Shuttered at last on earth, and turned on Godhead.

Here lies the testimony to Saint Francis:

Clare of Assisi.

Who weeps, weep but for joy.

Poem of the Day

To One Hesitant

"The Sisters fast every day except on Sundays and Christmas,

never eat meat, rise at midnight for prayer and meditation, wear

a coarse habit, and always go barefoot."

You wonder

at survival through death-bleached hours,

sere plains, incommiserate sands.

And you are afraid.

Oh! leave those timorous chains

that bind you

in the dark dungeon of age-old compromise!

Unchained, your heart shall dare

these sands unfearing

and oh! a thousand times

will almost find the reason

just there between the sunlight and the silence.

There will be

the sudden leap of longing

in the soul pregnant with faith and hope,

arms outflung without any willing,

singing pain in the heart,

words splintering helplessly,

the whole sky unslung,

star-desolate, moon-empty,

the rumor of Him quivering everywhere.

And when this flash of the reason

is gone

out of hand's grasp,

heart's reach,

furious will's shouting,

the sands will blaze

with gorgeous recall

and plains go quick-cool

beneath the feet.

Recall indeed will fade

but then perhaps

there will be another moment

rocketed out of eternity,

out of reality,

runaway, splendid, sustaining,

when you will almost hold Him

and your hands almost grasp

the reason.

These are the moments

that make for survival;

and one will not end,

being death.

ChristinaTherese

Poem of the Day

To One Hesitant

You wonder

And you are afraid.

that bind you

these sands unfearing

and oh! a thousand times

There will be

the whole sky unslung,

is gone

out of hand's grasp,

heart's reach,

furious will's shouting,

the sands will blaze

with gorgeous recall

and plains go quick-cool

beneath the feet.

Recall indeed will fade

but then perhaps

out of reality,

the reason.

These are the moments

that make for survival;

and one will not end,

being death.

~~~~~~~<End Emma Quote>~~~~~~~

I can't prop this enough! (And, since dUSt took our props away, I can't prop it at all. Edit: They're back!)

When are you leaving for Italy?

Do you know what time you're going to enter yet? (Even just approximately.)

Edited by Christina Thérèse

Hi Christina Therese!

I'm actually in Italy right now (specifically Florence!) It's just lovely.

I enter Sunday January 13th around 9:30 am. Sunday Mass is at 6:45, so I don't know whether they are giving me an hour or so to say my goodbyes, or whether they will change the Mass time to something closer to entrance. I am fine whatever way, though I would prefer the later Mass time not for myself but for a friend who is driving a couple hours to be at the entrance. I would worry about her driving at 4 am to make 6:45 Mass!

WhenI get back from Italy, it will be 2 weeks until Christmas and New Years..then less than 2 weeks until entrance. Yay!

wahhooooaa, Emma!!! you're in Italy already?! aaawwwweeeesoomme!!! :nun2:

tell St MM de Pazzi & St. TM I say hi!! :wave: soo coool you're there!!! are you going to Bologna also before you head to Assisi? have a blesssed pilgrimage!! Pace e Bene!!  :pray:

Edited by Chiquitunga

Poem of the Day

To One Hesitant

You wonder

And you are afraid.

that bind you

these sands unfearing

and oh! a thousand times

There will be

the whole sky unslung,

is gone

out of hand's grasp,

heart's reach,

furious will's shouting,

the sands will blaze

with gorgeous recall

and plains go quick-cool

beneath the feet.

Recall indeed will fade

but then perhaps

out of reality,

the reason.

These are the moments

that make for survival;

and one will not end,

being death.

Darn, I forgot to post the poem in my monster post. : :cry:

Poem of the Day

Concerning Affluence

I am the richest one in town

Although they may not know it

Who count their funds and lay aside

Good portions against winter.

I am the richest one on earth,

Unshod I walk to tell it.

All silvered stars are my small coins

For sudden need arising.

I am the richest in the world

Or in the heavens either,

Owning a greater need than all

For God to come and fill it.

These are especially lovely.  I have no talent for writing poetry.  My writing skills are utilitarian.  That said, I do love poetry. Mother had a gift for words and I am glad she was able to continue using that gift in the religious life. 

Emma, enjoy your time in Italy.

PhuturePriest

I have not been following this thread for a while, though this new bit about food has me interested. :P How have you been? Can you believe the entrance date is almost upon you?

VeniJesuAmorMi

I'm actually in Italy right now (specifically Florence!) It's just lovely.

How exciting, Emmaberry! What a blessing to make that trip before your entrance. I'm sure your community will be looking forward to hearing about it (I'm sure we on here will be also!) :)

Also, May God reward you for your response to my other post; to quote " I think I understand how most brides-to-be feel before their weddings now. It's like...you've found your place, "the one", and it is such a pain to be anywhere else but with that specific "one." Of course, you will miss your family, but it is a small price to pay for the joy that awaits. (The one being the groom for brides, the community for us future entrants!)

When you find the right community, you would literally not take a million dollars to go to another, in the same way that a happily engaged person could never in a million years marry another person while being in love with "the one". Sorry if that sounds confusing, I just wish someone had told me that the bond is that strong before entrance. It really took me by surprise-not that it was unpleasant, just unexpected!"

I don't think I'll be forgetting this anytime soon. It's hard to imagine what its really like as I have yet to experience this, but I am certainly looking forward to finding "my home." :)

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

Quote by FP

I have not been following this thread for a while, though this new bit about food has me interested. :P How have you been? Can you believe the entrance date is almost upon you?

Hey FP! Yes, I have not talked with you in a while.

I am great, entrance is fast approaching, but I am all smiles! As it gets closer, it keeps getting bigger (my smile, to clarify). :smile4:

Food? OH-you mean the pictures of the nun food! Right.

How are you lately? ..Besides following your nose into VS, you know. :P

Quote by VeniJesuAmorMi

How exciting, Emmaberry! What a blessing to make that trip before your entrance. I'm sure your community will be looking forward to hearing about it (I'm sure we on here will be also!) :)

Yes, VeniJesu, it is such a blessing. Rome and Florence were wonderful, but Assisi reduced me to tears. The little Poverello's spirit was so there, as was St Clare's. We went to the Eremo which was St Francis' first little hermitage in the mountains... words cannot express how special that was. On those grounds was the famous tree where he preached to the birds, and to look out over Assisi (and all the world, it seemed at the time!) and see what St Francis saw, more or less, was a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

I was able to speak with Mother briefly while I was there because a package fell loose in my bag (they had gifts for me to give the Assisi PCs, Cardinal Burke (who is a cherished friend of the community and vice versa), and his Sister-secretary (not his blood sister! :idontknow:) and I got to touch the crosses to St Francis' tomb and have them blessed by the Pope at the Papal Audience. Again, that was too special for words!

Seeing the Poor Clares in Assisi was wonderful, though I am very thankful that I am called to the Colettines! They have a unique spirit (illustrated very well in A Right to Be Merry) that I did not sense with the PCs in Assisi, though they are wonderful and of course one family of devoted faithful daughters to Saint Clare. It is with happy irony that I will enter on St Colette's birthday-I am more devoted to her than ever after visiting the OSC nuns in Assisi and finding that St Clare and St Colette are the Mothers I need to grow in holiness and live out religious life in accord with my personal calling.

Also, because of Mother Angela's kindness, my family was able to meet Cardinal Burke in his office in Rome. Amazing. His sanctity was evident as soon as he began to speak. He was so humble..it was very edifying. He said he will see me again when he is in Roswell for his next stay with the Poor Clares-that fell strangely on my ears! We were also able to go to his residence to meet his secretary, who is also a very good friend of Mother. She was so incredibly sweet and reminded me very much of my Sisters. She gave us a tour and we were able to see the small chapel where the Cardinal celebrated Holy Mass each morning. Incredible! We were so thankful to the Roswell Poor Clares and dear Mother, as they would never have let us past the door on our own merits! As a Cardinal, Cardinal Burke is eligible as a future Pope, so we were daydreaming about what it would be like to have seen the private residence of a perhaps/possibly/maybe future Pope!  :topsy:

Sorry if anyone wants more details about the trip, there was so much that happened that it would take pages to list every detail or wonderful event! If anyone has any particular questions, though, definitely ask and I may post more periodically if I forgot a 'biggie' or something strikes me. 

Quote by Eowyn

These are especially lovely.  I have no talent for writing poetry.  My writing skills are utilitarian.  That said, I do love poetry. Mother had a gift for words and I am glad she was able to continue using that gift in the religious life. 

Emma, enjoy your time in Italy.

Thanks Eowyn! Yes, she had a gift with words, many of which she made up-I have found this out by typing out her poems (the spellcheck!). Her grasp of vocabulary (prefixes/suffixes, the general, etc) and the meters and structure of poetry is just amazing. Sorry to gush. I do that a lot. :|

By the way, for a utilitarian writer, you write quite well! I find that most people who say that use it as a way to cover up a lack of talent in writing (I tend to be one of those people, hah! :P)

Quote by Chiquitunga

wahhooooaa, Emma!!! you're in Italy already?! aaawwwweeeesoomme!!! :nun2:

tell St MM de Pazzi & St. TM I say hi!! :pray:

We did not get to Bologna (I wish!) as it was actually a short(er) trip after taking out the bookend travel time. Thank you for the warm wishes, it was indeed a pilgrimage not only of body but of heart and spirit. I feel better prepared than ever to follow in the footsteps of St Clare and St Francis and to pray for our Holy Father, who is truly a Saint.

It was both wonderful and heartbreaking to see him at the Wednesday Audience. He is so holy and so chosen by God but also so small and so frail... I realized with a new surge of gratefulness all he does for us by taking on the burden (and the privilege) of the See of Peter.

Edited by emmaberry101

PhuturePriest

Quote by FP

Hey FP! Yes, I have not talked with you in a while.

I am great, entrance is fast approaching, but I am all smiles! As it gets closer, it keeps getting bigger (my smile, to clarify). :smile4:

Food? OH-you mean the pictures of the nun food! Right.

How are you lately? ..Besides following your nose into VS, you know. :P

I'm glad to hear that! I am very happy for you.

Haha, yeah. Sorry for the confusion.

Lately life has just been great! I'm making wonderful friendships, I've discovered who I really am as a person (Through the help of one of the mentioned friendships), my singing is rapidly improving, my self-confidence is growing, I'm learning about myself, there are just so many things to be thankful for right now! I really am blessed. I still haven't had a chance to talk to my spiritual director and tell him the news of my discernment, but all in God's time, I suppose. It's probably best that it has been over a month so I have had the time to dust myself off and think clearly. I can't imagine the stuff I would have told him if I talked to him right after leaving the seminary, haha. :P

*All the poems in this thread, and all over VS that I have posted that are not credited otherwise are by Mother Francis, PCC). Afterthought: There is a poem I posted in Christina Therese's poetry thread  that I did not credit and that is by me, not Mother Francis, though I would trust that would be evident even to those who had never heard a lick of poetry! :P

Poem of the Day

Wedding Anniversary (not the same poem posted under a different title somewhere else in this thread)

Witness the wise men who will write my shame

With poignant pens. There is enough to say

Of fault and fall and face turned from the Flame.

Never expect me to dispute the claims

Of sadly pale, importunate regrets.

I know the faces, but forget the names.

I'll even laugh along if they will jest

How piling years declare that I grow old.

Gay with secrets none of them has guessed,

I tilt my face up to His Face and see

How lovely I am grown for being loved,

And always bridal by His thought of me.

The weary days limp by; unmarked and missed,

My fatal growing young while they grow dead.

And mine the beauty of a woman, kissed.

-Mother Mary Francis, P.C.C.

I am going to start posting Advent poetry by Mother Francis here up until Christmas. Hard to believe it is only a little over two weeks away!

Quote by FP

I'm glad to hear that! I am very happy for you.

Haha, yeah. Sorry for the confusion.

Lately life has just been great! I'm making wonderful friendships, I've discovered who I really am as a person (Through the help of one of the mentioned friendships), my singing is rapidly improving, my self-confidence is growing, I'm learning about myself, there are just so many things to be thankful for right now! I really am blessed. I still haven't had a chance to talk to my spiritual director and tell him the news of my discernment, but all in God's time, I suppose. It's probably best that it has been over a month so I have had the time to dust myself off and think clearly. I can't imagine the stuff I would have told him if I talked to him right after leaving the seminary, haha. :P

Good to hear! Yes, it is probably for the best that there was a gap before your meetings, you may have given the old chap a heart attack! ...Of course, he might be a young priest. :idontknow: I am sure it will be nice when you are able to speak with him, as you have had a lot change, and it is always good to talk to someone else about that and hear from someone else that you are doing the right thing. :like:

Edited by emmaberry101

PhuturePriest

*All the poems in this thread, and all over VS that I have posted that are not credited otherwise are by Mother Francis, PCC). Afterthought: There is a poem I posted in Christina Therese's poetry thread  that I did not credit and that is by me, not Mother Francis, though I would trust that would be evident even to those who had never heard a lick of poetry! :P

Poem of the Day

Wedding Anniversary (not the same poem posted under a different title somewhere else in this thread)

Witness the wise men who will write my shame

With poignant pens. There is enough to say

Of fault and fall and face turned from the Flame.

Never expect me to dispute the claims

Of sadly pale, importunate regrets.

I know the faces, but forget the names.

I'll even laugh along if they will jest

How piling years declare that I grow old.

Gay with secrets none of them has guessed,

I tilt my face up to His Face and see

How lovely I am grown for being loved,

And always bridal by His thought of me.

The weary days limp by; unmarked and missed,

My fatal growing young while they grow dead.

And mine the beauty of a woman, kissed.

-Mother Mary Francis, P.C.C.

I am going to start posting Advent poetry by Mother Francis here up until Christmas. Hard to believe it is only a little over two weeks away!

Quote by FP

Good to hear! Yes, it is probably for the best that there was a gap before your meetings, you may have given the old chap a heart attack! ...Of course, he might be a young priest. :idontknow: I am sure it will be nice when you are able to speak with him, as you have had a lot change, and it is always good to talk to someone else about that and hear from someone else that you are doing the right thing. :like:

Haha, young? This is a a tough old traditional Priest in his fifties who has seen his fair share of things in life and isn't afraid to speak his mind. If I waltzed in there and talked so definitively he would have given me an earful, haha. :P

I feel bad posting this here (it's not really religious) but I saw the Nutcracker yesterday and was inspired. My mom forces lovingly invites me to go with her every year. She was a very experienced and beautiful ballerina in her day and has a profound appreciation for the art. Anyway, this was the best Sugar Plum Fairy solo I had ever seen (for the 'goods', skip to 2:20. I think it is all great though!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_f9B4pPtg

Haha, young? This is a a tough old traditional Priest in his fifties who has seen his fair share of things in life and isn't afraid to speak his mind. If I waltzed in there and talked so definitively he would have given me an earful, haha. :P

Well then it is indeed good that you waited! I'd love to hear how that conversation goes, when it happens!

Edited by emmaberry101