The Chase

Today the wind caught me, shook my songs apart,

Mocked my tears dry, hid my breath somewhere,

Somewhere in its hills. And I went lightly

Leaping over them, the hills, and always

I heard Your footsteps there-there, on the next hill

Of the wind.

But my breath was rifled slyly,

Out of my breast, and I so helpless, watching.

But when I shouted: Come, oh! come and save me!

The Voice that split my soul apart one day

(Remembered only) answered not at all . . .

Only Your footsteps walking down the wind.

The wind kept crushing my breast; but, oh! the next hill

Surely, surely would show You! So I scrambled

Up every gust and wildly hugged the eddy

Of cruel or casual air. And then, at last,

I knew I would not find You. I smoothed my soul

Down into approved, conventional folds

And set my heart precisely in its place.

The wind is still now. And I say, politely,

The proper words and in the proper tone

With even breath recovered. No one guesses

How the wind caught me, shook my songs apart.

poor-clare-praying-b+w.jpg

From now until entrance, I will try to post a poem and a chapter from the Little Flowers of St Francis (Fioretti). 

Happy Christmastide pham!

EDIT: ToJesusMyHeart, I posted a picture of the list on page 7 (forgot which post exactly-so sorry!). I am so glad I did, because I lost it a little whle ago and had a few very basic Walmart items I was going to pick up just before entering. No worries about the list, by the way. This thread is so long that even I considered it a chore to go back through and find it-I would not wish that on anyone! :P

I went back and looked at it. Is that all you need to bring? Love the simplicity! I remember AveMariaPurisima's list having more and being a bit confusing. How are you doing? You must feel so blessed to be able to celebrate Christmas and New Years with your family just before you enter.

The Little Flowers of St. Francis

CHAPTER VIII

(AKA my favorite passage concerning Saint Francis ever) :love:

This passage also inspired the title of my favorite bio/novel of St. Francis:

perfect-joy-of-saint-francis2255lg.jpg

*Note: This is not the best biography in terms of accuracy. For accuracy, go Englebert.

HOW ST FRANCIS, WALKING ONE DAY WITH BROTHER LEO, EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT THINGS ARE PERFECT JOY

One day in winter, as St Francis was going with Brother Leo from Perugia to St Mary of the Angels, and was suffering greatly from the cold, he called to Brother Leo, who was walking on before him, and said to him: “Brother Leo, if it were to please God that the Friars Minor should give, in all lands, a great example of holiness and edification, write down, and note carefully, that this would not be perfect joy.” A little further on, St Francis called to him a second time: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor were to make the lame to walk, if they should make straight the crooked, chase away demons, give sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, speech to the dumb, and, what is even a far greater work, if they should raise the dead after four days, write that this would not be perfect joy.”

Shortly after, he cried out again: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor knew all languages; if they were versed in all science; if they could explain all Scripture; if they had the gift of prophecy, and could reveal, not only all future things, but likewise the secrets of all consciences and all souls, write that this would not be perfect joy.”

After proceeding a few steps farther, he cried out again with a loud voice: “O Brother Leo, thou little lamb of God! if the Friars Minor could speak with the tongues of angels; if they could explain the course of the stars; if they knew the virtues of all plants; if all the treasures of the earth were revealed to them; if they were acquainted with the various qualities of all birds, of all fish, of all animals, of men, of trees, of stones, of roots, and of waters - write that this would not be perfect joy.”

Shortly after, he cried out again: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor had the gift of preaching so as to convert all infidels to the faith of Christ, write that this would not be perfect joy.” Now when this manner of discourse had lasted for the space of two miles, Brother Leo wondered much within himself; and, questioning the saint, he said: “Father, I pray thee teach me wherein is perfect joy.” 

St Francis answered: “If, when we shall arrive at St Mary of the Angels, all drenched with rain and trembling with cold, all covered with mud and exhausted from hunger; if, when we knock at the convent-gate, the porter should come angrily and ask us who we are; if, after we have told him, ‘We are two of the brethren’, he should answer angrily, ‘What ye say is not the truth; ye are but two impostors going about to deceive the world, and take away the alms of the poor; begone I say’; if then he refuse to open to us, and leave us outside, exposed to the snow and rain, suffering from cold and hunger till nightfall - then, if we accept such injustice, such cruelty and such contempt with patience, without being ruffled and without murmuring, believing with humility and charity that the porter really knows us, and that it is God who maketh him to speak thus against us, write down, O Brother Leo, that this is perfect joy.

And if we knock again, and the porter come out in anger to drive us away with oaths and blows, as if we were vile impostors, saying, ‘Begone, miserable robbers! to the hospital, for here you shall neither eat nor sleep!’ - and if we accept all this with patience, with joy, and with charity, O Brother Leo, write that this indeed is perfect joy.

And if, urged by cold and hunger, we knock again, calling to the porter and entreating him with many tears to open to us and give us shelter, for the love of God, and if he come out more angry than before, exclaiming, ‘These are but importunate rascals, I will deal with them as they deserve’; and taking a knotted stick, he seize us by the hood, throwing us on the ground, rolling us in the snow, and shall beat and wound us with the knots in the stick - if we bear all these injuries with patience and joy, thinking of the sufferings of our Blessed Lord, which we would share out of love for him, write, O Brother Leo, that here, finally, is perfect joy.

And now, brother, listen to the conclusion. Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury, discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot glory, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God, according to the words of the Apostle, ‘What hast thou that thou hast not received from God? and if thou hast received it, why dost thou glory as if thou hadst not received it?’ But in the cross of tribulation and affliction we may glory, because, as the Apostle says again, ‘I will not glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.’ Amen.”

I went back and looked at it. Is that all you need to bring? Love the simplicity! I remember AveMariaPurisima's list having more and being a bit confusing. How are you doing? You must feel so blessed to be able to celebrate Christmas and New Years with your family just before you enter.

Yes, I love the simplicity as well! For love of Lady Poverty, but more so because packing has been a breeze. I actually have my suitcase ready, it is a very small carry on suitcase and still has so much room left! There really is not that much to pack.. I laughed at the comment at the bottom of the list: "May pack any extra items in a box." The list is so small, how could you need a box for "extras?" :P I will post a picture of the suitcase soon (hopefully tomorrow, but you know what they say about deadlines!)

Here is the list reposted for anyone who would like to look at it (the edited part concerns unmentionables-I am so immature, I giggled while typing that. :doh:):

list%2520edited.jpg

Edited by emmaberry101

So Emma... I'm going to assume that after being in for a few years..if you need any personal items or stamps etc...that your own family members will be your benefactors and help you..or not? I don't have family I could reach out to for back up if ever needed.

CHAPTER VIII

*Note: This is not the best biography in terms of accuracy. For accuracy, go Englebert.

HOW ST FRANCIS, WALKING ONE DAY WITH BROTHER LEO, EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT THINGS ARE PERFECT JOY

One day in winter, as St Francis was going with Brother Leo from Perugia to St Mary of the Angels, and was suffering greatly from the cold, he called to Brother Leo, who was walking on before him, and said to him: “Brother Leo, if it were to please God that the Friars Minor should give, in all lands, a great example of holiness and edification, write down, and note carefully, that this would not be perfect joy.” A little further on, St Francis called to him a second time: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor were to make the lame to walk, if they should make straight the crooked, chase away demons, give sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, speech to the dumb, and, what is even a far greater work, if they should raise the dead after four days, write that this would not be perfect joy.”

Shortly after, he cried out again: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor knew all languages; if they were versed in all science; if they could explain all Scripture; if they had the gift of prophecy, and could reveal, not only all future things, but likewise the secrets of all consciences and all souls, write that this would not be perfect joy.”

After proceeding a few steps farther, he cried out again with a loud voice: “O Brother Leo, thou little lamb of God! if the Friars Minor could speak with the tongues of angels; if they could explain the course of the stars; if they knew the virtues of all plants; if all the treasures of the earth were revealed to them; if they were acquainted with the various qualities of all birds, of all fish, of all animals, of men, of trees, of stones, of roots, and of waters - write that this would not be perfect joy.”

Shortly after, he cried out again: “O Brother Leo, if the Friars Minor had the gift of preaching so as to convert all infidels to the faith of Christ, write that this would not be perfect joy.” Now when this manner of discourse had lasted for the space of two miles, Brother Leo wondered much within himself; and, questioning the saint, he said: “Father, I pray thee teach me wherein is perfect joy.”

St Francis answered: “If, when we shall arrive at St Mary of the Angels, all drenched with rain and trembling with cold, all covered with mud and exhausted from hunger; if, when we knock at the convent-gate, the porter should come angrily and ask us who we are; if, after we have told him, ‘We are two of the brethren’, he should answer angrily, ‘What ye say is not the truth; ye are but two impostors going about to deceive the world, and take away the alms of the poor; begone I say’; if then he refuse to open to us, and leave us outside, exposed to the snow and rain, suffering from cold and hunger till nightfall - then, if we accept such injustice, such cruelty and such contempt with patience, without being ruffled and without murmuring, believing with humility and charity that the porter really knows us, and that it is God who maketh him to speak thus against us, write down, O Brother Leo, that this is perfect joy.

And if we knock again, and the porter come out in anger to drive us away with oaths and blows, as if we were vile impostors, saying, ‘Begone, miserable robbers! to the hospital, for here you shall neither eat nor sleep!’ - and if we accept all this with patience, with joy, and with charity, O Brother Leo, write that this indeed is perfect joy.

And if, urged by cold and hunger, we knock again, calling to the porter and entreating him with many tears to open to us and give us shelter, for the love of God, and if he come out more angry than before, exclaiming, ‘These are but importunate rascals, I will deal with them as they deserve’; and taking a knotted stick, he seize us by the hood, throwing us on the ground, rolling us in the snow, and shall beat and wound us with the knots in the stick - if we bear all these injuries with patience and joy, thinking of the sufferings of our Blessed Lord, which we would share out of love for him, write, O Brother Leo, that here, finally, is perfect joy.

And now, brother, listen to the conclusion. Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury, discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot glory, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God, according to the words of the Apostle, ‘What hast thou that thou hast not received from God? and if thou hast received it, why dost thou glory as if thou hadst not received it?’ But in the cross of tribulation and affliction we may glory, because, as the Apostle says again, ‘I will not glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.’ Amen.”

Yes, I love the simplicity as well! For love of Lady Poverty, but more so because packing has been a breeze. I actually have my suitcase ready, it is a very small carry on suitcase and still has so much room left! There really is not that much to pack.. I laughed at the comment at the bottom of the list: "May pack any extra items in a box." The list is so small, how could you need a box for "extras?" :P I will post a picture of the suitcase soon (hopefully tomorrow, but you know what they say about deadlines!)

Here is the list reposted for anyone who would like to look at it (the edited part concerns unmentionables-I am so immature, I giggled while typing that. :doh:):
list%2520edited.jpg

I love Father Francis' definition of perfect joy. Thank you very much for posting that! :)

"Please do not bring a personal razor."

This brought to mind a question I have had, but which I have never asked because it is inconsequential and others have asked it before, elsewhere in the Internet, disrespectfully. ....but I do wonder sometimes if, in some Orders, the sisters are permitted to shave. Is it seen as an unnecessary expense or as hygeinic....?

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis is hands-down my favorite biographical novel of St. Francis, Emma!!!  

VERY closely based on original source documents, but very readable, and very prayerful.  Very vivid picture of St. Francis and the first Franciscans/poor Clares....

I love the simplicity of the list... the one I had to bring 35 years ago for an active/contemplative community was at least 3 times longer than that, and included all sorts of interesting things like sewing basket with a BUNCH of required things in it including various kinds of thread, needles, scissors, darning eggs (probably not needed in a barefoot community), specific types of clothing and underclothing, aprons,  robes, different types of nightgowns, shoes, slippers, rain boots, prayer books, bible, binder, bible tabs, Imitation of Christ, Rosary, pens, pencils, binder paper, etc. etc.     It was BOXES of crud... and cost a LOT to assemble.  And all of it came back home with me when I left the following year.   STILL have some of it....  Your list looks much more practical and.... poor.  And I loved that the changes and corrections to the list were done in PEN.   Rather than reprint.  Simple and poor....

I have a VIVID recollection of bringing the last of my trousseau with me in a large suitcase the weekend I went to enter (the rest had been brought to the community over the preceeding months.... box at a time).   But I carried a GIANT suitcase stuffed with stuff for winter.... things that most people hadn't bought or used for 50 years!  It was HOT when we got off the airplane--way over 100 degrees.  And the danged over-stuffed suitcase opened up in the middle of the airport lobby, to the horror of me and my family.  Yes, we did get some VERY odd looks when people saw the contents.....   114 in the shade, and that normal-looking young woman has a pile of white flannel nightgowns and flannel sheets and ... what IS the rest of that stuff????!!!!   After picking that up on my knees in a major city airport, I was glad to escape to the convent .....

I'm not sure, but I can make a guess what the box is... some communities let you just have a box of random stuff (photos, approved but not required books, etc.) that you can keep under your bed. Probably less likely with the PCCs, but you never know... It just depends.

Other communities use a box like that for the stuff  that the community will hang on to until you have made your final vows.  Everyone has a few things that they bring in with them that they do need to put SOMEWHERE.... hoping you never need to use them again.  Like the purse you walk in with and your civilian clothes and shoes.   (No one goes in wanting or expecting to leave... but it does happen sometimes.) So, a sister might need to put some credit cards or whatever in there, hoping eventually she can call & cancel them. But easier to NOT cancel them ahead of time... until the community tells you it is time. Seriously. )   We aren't talking about a lot of stuff, but while some are blessed to have a family or friends who can hold that stuff, a few people who go in don't have anyone to leave things with in case they do have to leave.....

What's in your Sisters' boxes, Emma? ;)

So Emma... I'm going to assume that after being in for a few years..if you need any personal items or stamps etc...that your own family members will be your benefactors and help you..or not? I don't have family I could reach out to for back up if ever needed.

Many of the Sisters have no approval and consequently no financial support from family when they enter. The Poor Clares are one of the best female Orders to enter in this situation, as they usually do not require a dowry, in keeping with the Franciscan theme of total dependence upon God's Providence. (Note: I am sure other Orders and communities do not require a dowry, I just do not have a list, or I would post these communities too.) My family is supportive and has the means to financially support me in the trial years, but this is not necessary for entrance. They gave a dowry, but again, this is not required or even asked for, really. 

So yes, you are correct that my family will probably send stamps and things like that, but that is only because they want to help. I believe most of the donations and benefactors of the Roswell Poor Clares are people in the surrounding community, not family members, though family members often do want to support their daughter's community, especially after Solemn Profession. It is not required in any way, though, so I would not worry!

I love Father Francis' definition of perfect joy. Thank you very much for posting that! :)

This brought to mind a question I have had, but which I have never asked because it is inconsequential and others have asked it before, elsewhere in the Internet, disrespectfully. ....but I do wonder sometimes if, in some Orders, the sisters are permitted to shave. Is it seen as an unnecessary expense or as hygeinic....?

I took the razor comment on the list as a sign that the Sisters do not shave, which I understood because the habits are floor length, more or less. However, the postulant garb goes to mid-calf, so I can see how some darker haired girls might be slightly mortified at having to expose unshaved legs. I am blonde, so I don't really care. I always saw it as one of those things where, if you were in a convent and nobody shaved, then it ceases to be a 'thing.' I always saw shaving as one of those things that has become a social norm, and that's why it is expected.

That being said, exceptions could possibly be made, but I think you are right about the extra expense of razors and other shaving products. I think it would be the same as most contemplatives not removing facial hair and the like.

For contemplatives who do shave, there is a video online where a PCPA postulant (Hanceville, I think) said they do shave their legs.

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis is hands-down my favorite biographical novel of St. Francis, Emma!!!  

VERY closely based on original source documents, but very readable, and very prayerful.  Very vivid picture of St. Francis and the first Franciscans/poor Clares....

I love the simplicity of the list... the one I had to bring 35 years ago for an active/contemplative community was at least 3 times longer than that, and included all sorts of interesting things like sewing basket with a BUNCH of required things in it including various kinds of thread, needles, scissors, darning eggs (probably not needed in a barefoot community), specific types of clothing and underclothing, aprons,  robes, different types of nightgowns, shoes, slippers, rain boots, prayer books, bible, binder, bible tabs, Imitation of Christ, Rosary, pens, pencils, binder paper, etc. etc.     It was BOXES of crud... and cost a LOT to assemble.  And all of it came back home with me when I left the following year.   STILL have some of it....  Your list looks much more practical and.... poor.  And I loved that the changes and corrections to the list were done in PEN.   Rather than reprint.  Simple and poor....

I have a VIVID recollection of bringing the last of my trousseau with me in a large suitcase the weekend I went to enter (the rest had been brought to the community over the preceeding months.... box at a time).   But I carried a GIANT suitcase stuffed with stuff for winter.... things that most people hadn't bought or used for 50 years!  It was HOT when we got off the airplane--way over 100 degrees.  And the danged over-stuffed suitcase opened up in the middle of the airport lobby, to the horror of me and my family.  Yes, we did get some VERY odd looks when people saw the contents.....   114 in the shade, and that normal-looking young woman has a pile of white flannel nightgowns and flannel sheets and ... what IS the rest of that stuff????!!!!   After picking that up on my knees in a major city airport, I was glad to escape to the convent .....

I'm not sure, but I can make a guess what the box is... some communities let you just have a box of random stuff (photos, approved but not required books, etc.) that you can keep under your bed. Probably less likely with the PCCs, but you never know... It just depends.

Other communities use a box like that for the stuff  that the community will hang on to until you have made your final vows.  Everyone has a few things that they bring in with them that they do need to put SOMEWHERE.... hoping you never need to use them again.  Like the purse you walk in with and your civilian clothes and shoes.   (No one goes in wanting or expecting to leave... but it does happen sometimes.) So, a sister might need to put some credit cards or whatever in there, hoping eventually she can call & cancel them. But easier to NOT cancel them ahead of time... until the community tells you it is time. Seriously. )   We aren't talking about a lot of stuff, but while some are blessed to have a family or friends who can hold that stuff, a few people who go in don't have anyone to leave things with in case they do have to leave.....

What's in your Sisters' boxes, Emma? ;)

Oh, wow! That is a lot! Though it makes sense with a larger community that you would need to bring your sheets, towels, and other things like that take up more space. 

It had never occurred to me to bring things not mentioned on the list.. I was even going to call the nuns and ask if I could bring a ponytail holder for my hair, as it is long and would stick out under the veil! As far as the outfit to leave in, if that should happen, I was going to wear a dress I could leave in if it came to that, without a jacket or anything extra, using for anything extra the postulant items I packed for entrance. I was also going to wear the sandals I will wear as a postulant-my parents will be horrified that I am doing that in January, but I see no reason to bundle up only to shed it all for the chill of the cloister. Mother assures me that it is much less trying on new postulants to enter into the cold than the summer heat.. As a Texas girl, I believe that! :like:

Yes, that does make sense about people not having family to leave all their extra stuff with, and having to take it with them to enter. I am blessed to live at home, and my mom will not even let me clear out my room! She says she will do that after I "figure out whether I like it there or not." I am grateful, because I know that will be a lot of work for her and it takes a lot of stress off of me!

ToJesusMyHeart

I took the razor comment on the list as a sign that the Sisters do not shave, which I understood because the habits are floor length, more or less. However, the postulant garb goes to mid-calf, so I can see how some darker haired girls might be slightly mortified at having to expose unshaved legs. I am blonde, so I don't really care. I always saw it as one of those things where, if you were in a convent and nobody shaved, then it ceases to be a 'thing.' I always saw shaving as one of those things that has become a social norm, and that's why it is expected.

That being said, exceptions could possibly be made, but I think you are right about the extra expense of razors and other shaving products. I think it would be the same as most contemplatives not removing facial hair and the like.

If/when I enter the convent, I don't plan to shave. What's the point? The habit covers everything anyway. It's a big waste of time in my opinion, so long as the habit covers your legs. I'm really looking forward to not shaving. Shaving is a royal pain in the behind.

Rosa immaculata

CHAPTER VIII

list%2520edited.jpg

Ave Maria!

Hum, this excerpt is one of the things which made me love the Franciscan order; I said to myself; tha's just it: to live in penance, and perfect joy according the Gospel: so simple and bright and luminous!!! My heart is really Franciscan :)

Emmaberry, I hope you had a very very Holy Chrismas with your family; you are so blessed!

Suitcase:

get-attachment.aspx2.jpg

(Please forgive the terrible mess-I am sure you all know how how it gets these few weeks before entrance!)

CHAPTER IX

How St. Francis taught Friar Leo to make answer; and how he was never able to speak save the contrary to that which St. Francis desired.

Stigmatization.jpg

St Francis and Brother Leo in Contemplation

ON a time in the beginning of the Order, St. Francis being with Friar Leo in a Place where they had not books for the saying of the divine office, when the hour of matins came, St. Francis said to Friar Leo: "Most dear companion, we have no breviary wherewith we can say matins; but to the end that we may spend the time to the praise of God, I will speak and thou shalt answer as I will teach thee: and look to it that thou changest not the words otherwise than I shall teach thee. I will say thus: 'O Friar Francis, thou hast done so many evils and so many sins in the world that thou art worthy of hell'; and thou shalt make answer: 'It is a true thing that thou meritest the lowest hell'." And Friar Leo with dove-like simplicity replied: "Willingly, father. Begin in the name of God."

Then St. Francis began to say: "O Friar Francis, thou hast done so many evils and so many sins in the world, that thou art worthy of hell". And Friar Leo answered: "God shall do through thee so much good that by reason thereof thou shalt go to paradise". Said St. Francis: "Say not so, Friar Leo, but when I shall say, 'Friar Francis, thou hast done so many wicked things against God, that thou art worthy to be accursed from God,' answer thou thus: 'Verily thou art worthy to be set among the accursed'". And Friar Leo answered: "Willingly father". Then St. Francis, with many tears and sighs and beatings of the breast, said with a loud voice: "O my Lord of heaven and earth, I have committed so many wickednesses and so many sins against Thee that I am altogether worthy to be accursed from Thee"; and Friar Leo answered: "O Friar Francis, God will make thee such an one that among the blessed thou shalt be singularly blessed".

And St. Francis, marvelling that Friar Leo answered contrary to that which he had bidden him, rebuked him saying: "Wherefore dost thou not answer as I teach thee! I command thee by holy obedience to answer as I shall teach thee. I will speak thus: 'O Friar Francis, miserable sinner, thinkest thou that God will have mercy upon thee, seeing that thou hast committed so many sins against the Father of mercy and God of every consolation that thou art not worthy to find mercy?' And thou, Friar Leo, little sheep, shalt answer: 'On no wise art thou worthy to find mercy'." But afterward when St. Francis said: "O Friar Francis, miserable sinner," etc., Friar Leo answered: "God the Father, whose mercy is infinitely greater than thy sin, will show thee great mercy, and thereabove will add unto thee much grace".

At this reply, St. Francis, sweetly angered and patiently disquieted, said to Friar Leo: "And wherefore hast thou had the presumption to do against obedience, and already so many times hast replied contrary to that which I have commanded thee?" Friar Leo answered very humbly and reverently: "God knoweth, my father, that every time I have resolved in my heart to answer as thou hast bidden me; but God maketh me to speak as it pleaseth Him, and not according to that which pleaseth me". Thereat St. Francis marvelled and said to Friar Leo: "I beseech thee very lovingly that this time thou answer me as I have told thee". Friar Leo answered: "Speak in the name of God, because of a surety this time I will answer as thou wouldst have me".

And St. Francis weeping said: "O Friar Francis, miserable sinner, thinkest thou that God will have mercy upon thee?" Friar Leo answered: "Yea, and not only so, but great grace shalt thou receive from God, and He shall exalt thee and glorify thee for ever, because whosoever humbleth himself shall be exalted, and I cannot speak otherwise in that God speaketh through my mouth". And on this wise, in that humble strife, with many tears and much spiritual consolation, they watched even until day.

Poem of the Day

A Young Nun to Her Brother Newly-Ordained*

So much the same . . .

The old, familiar smile

And voice with timbre I have always known.

Dreams in your eyes are those I call by name!

Young christ, you are so poignantly the same

As yesterday.

And yet, yet I know

The sudden, splendorous difference, the strange

Rushing of wind, and in your long-loved heart

I see the new, the parted tongue of flame.

With what sweet awe and oh! what cherished grace

I watch your brown hands trace

Redemption's sign - 

Swallows that fly new whitely-wondrous ways,

And on my knees before you, rapturously find

This alien place, my best beloved one!

So shall we keep brief vigil in a tryst

Soaring on sacred pinions over mists

Of any lesser camaraderie,

The three seals twinkly set on your two hearts.

And who shall guess,

Hearing our words the same

And seeing us tread the old, familiar ways,

The terrible, shining secret of your hands!

The bridal blossoms fresh upon my soul!

-Mother Mary Francis, P.C.C.

*Reminds me of Sr. John Mary of the Whitesville Passionists, picture here with her newly- ordained brother.

Edited by emmaberry101

After re-reading A Right to Be Merry for the 214th time (typed the keyboard with my eyes shut, it's actually a much smaller number!) I have decided that I am going to gain as much weight as I can before entering. That, "I only wish you were thirty pounds heavier" to Mother Francis when she disclosed her desire to enter the Poor Clares stuck with me. Off to the bread and sweets I go!!!

Also, on a heavier note (har-har) I am being overcome with this incessant worry that I won't stay. Obviously, whatever happens is in God's hands, but this is really bothering me. My parents wanted to have a huge going away party for me at our parish (with thousands of people present) and I asked them not to, because I could not face everyone in that church if I came back in a couple months. I don't know, it's so selfish of me really, but it's almost like I am hesitant to let anyone make a big fuss because I would feel like a joke coming home. I really don't know what to do about this-I can tell my parents really wanted to have this party, and I am unsure how much I need to be catering to them in these weeks before I go, and how much I should be doing what I want to do. They are really making the bigger sacrifice here, and it just feels wrong to deny them any sort of consolation.. :idontknow:

Poem of the Day

Conspiracy: Marian Year

Sound never a trumpet. Only let her name

Go up like flocks of birds from every land.

Fire no salute. Her fragrance shall possess 

The earth like arms, like eloquence of eyes.

Let there be silence, that no foe may guess

How Mary comes to wreck his careful wars.

Deep in the very tents of battlesmoke,

Her gentle plot is sprung; and we are doomed

To watch our terrors melt before her gaze.

Oh, write her name for jubilee upon 

Our dreariness! until the heart recalls

How we were meant for sun and song and splendor.

And earth remembers how it was paradise.

Light her pure name to bonfires on the rubble

Of earth's despair; for, in our darkest season

Of bitterness and blood, there sounds no trumpet,

But Mary laughing with her little Child.

Edited by emmaberry101

Also, pham, (I am just full of gripes today! :blush:) please pray for me. I came down with a minor flu and my ear has been echoing and ringing-not a big deal in and of itself but I would hate to enter the convent with a less-than-stellar ear or, heaven forbid, an ear infection. Thanks and may God reward you for your prayers!

I also forgot to mention in my post on my family's pilgrimage that we saw the place where St Cecilia's body was laid in the Catachombs of Saint Callixtus (the statue you see in these pics is a replica donated by a Catholic woman from New York.) It was wonderful to pray on this holy site for all our Dominicans of Saint Cecilia, especially our own Deus Te Amat. Pics of the site (not my own):

criptacecilia1.jpg

StCecilia.jpg

The Fioretti of Saint Francis

ADDENDA TAKEN FROM THE MANUSCRIPTS CHAPTER I

An ensample of Friar Leo, how St. Francis bade him wash the stone

IN the mountain of Alvernia, as St. Francis was I speaking with Friar Leo, St. Francis said: "Friar little sheep, wash this stone with water". Friar Leo hastened to obey and washed the stone with water. Said St. Francis, with great joy and gladness: "Wash it with wine"; and so was it done. " Wash it," said St. Francis, "with oil;" and so was it done. Said St. Francis: "Friar little sheep, wash that stone with balm". Friar Leo replied: "O sweet father, how can I get balm in so wild a place as this is?"

St. Francis made answer: "Know, friar little sheep of Christ, that this is the stone where Christ sat when He appeared to me on a time in this very place; and therefore have I said unto thee four times: 'Wash it and hold thy peace '; for Jesus Christ hath promised me four singular graces for my Order. The first is that all those who shall love my Order from their hearts, and the friars who shall persevere, shall by the Divine grace make a good end. The second is that the persecutors of this holy Religion shall be notably punished. The third is that no evil man shall be able to remain long in this Order, continuing in his frowardness. The fourth is that this Religion shall last even unto the last judgment."

Edited by emmaberry101

Emmaberry101, of course I will pray for you!  Actually it's an "addition" (the ear thingy and cold)  of the prayer that's been ascending daily for you and all others discerning/entering,  I would LOVE to have a Mass said for your entrance and perseverance if you PM me with your name.  I support the PCPA's in Charlotte and would have the Mass celebrated in their chapel.