An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Community For Widows/single Older Vocations

Kathleen777

I don't fall into this age group but I have a CRHP friend who does and she was suffering for a long time because she kept hearing the call to religious life but had no where to pursue it. Thankfully, she found one order that she feels a connection with and returned to them after leaving them for several months due to health issues. She just received the habit a month ago and is SO happy. I hope she has found her forever home because I hate seeing her so lost. I'm sure there are other women out there that feel the same way. :)

well there's the Eudist Servants of the Eleventh Hour, the Daughters of Divine Hope, the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope, and then the Brides of Victorious Lamb....any thoughts for the name of this new community?

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(243, 243, 234)] I do not propose a non canonical community. I am orthodox and traditional. I propose a FAMILY of Catholic widows 45 yrs. old +(and exceptions for those widows w/o children or women in their 40's who want to follow the charism of the widowed community) #1 a religious community of Sisters (starting as a private assoc. of the faithful and growing into an Institute of Religious Life) following all of the Canonical laws of formation and life. Living together in a house/convent and wearing a habit. After Aspirancy, Postulancy and 1 yr. canonical Novititate the Jr. Professed or Permanent Professed could go out and live in twos or more elsewhere.#2 Those lay women wishing to stay in the private assoc. of the faithful (which could grow into a public assoc. of the faithful) could also live in community with the religious sisters, but maintain their work and patrimony, of course without any disruption to the religious life of the house/convent. Those women living at the convent could wear a similar secular dress or their own secular [/background][/size][/font][/color][url="http://www.surfcanyon.com/search?f=sl&q=clothes&p=wtigck"]clothes[/url][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(243, 243, 234)]. Others could go through the formation, but still live in their own homes or even nursing homes yet share in the community, charism and life of the FAMILY. These women would wear their own secular clothes. The promises that these women would give to the Church and the community would make them "Sisters" within the community and would stay binding unless they withdrew from the community. There are many points to make. I am happy to take questions. Please contact: [/background][/size][/font][/color][email="consecrated.widow@yahoo.com"]consecrated.widow@yahoo.com[/email][background=rgb(243, 243, 234)][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#000000"] My name is Kathleen. ** ALSO, I made my profession in the Secular Franciscan Order in 1998, in 2000 entered Religious Life as a Sister, returned to secular life in 2011 to care for a family member who is OK now and independent. I wish to return to religious life and have been inspired for years to start something new especially for widows (as I became one in 1993 after 15 yrs. of marriage and having children). I have experience living religious life, writing Constitutions and living the Franciscan charism. I am 100% Roman Catholic and in obedience to our Holy Father, the Pope and to my local Bishop. Our proposed life is for the sanctification of the widow Sister and for the intentions of the Church who would approve of the community. Our prayers and sacrifices would be the acting out of those intentions. Our apostolates would be first to help widows, evangelizing and teaching the faith, helping the needy and anything that our local Bishop would ask of us. FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY![/color][/size][/font][/background]

Matermisericordiae- Are you free to name the order that accepted your friend? Michael-Thank you for that information! Kathleen777- Thank you for your explanation/description/intentions. I am in the targeted age group, yet do NOT meet the Widow status requirment. I will be selfish in mentioning...I feel abit letdown...yet hope this gets established and sees fruition! Blessings

[quote name='nikita92' timestamp='1350352617' post='2493841']
Matermisericordiae- Are you free to name the order that accepted your friend? Michael-Thank you for that information! Kathleen777- Thank you for your explanation/description/intentions. I am in the targeted age group, yet do NOT meet the Widow status requirment. I will be selfish in mentioning...I feel abit letdown...yet hope this gets established and sees fruition! Blessings
[/quote]

She entered the [url="http://www.graceandcompassionbenedictines.org.uk/"]Benedictines of Grace and Compassion[/url] in Brighton, UK. :)

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]BREAKING NEWS! Familia Jacopa (Family of Jacopa) is a new Catholic Franciscan family forming in Steubenville, Ohio, U.S.A.. Thanks to all of the encouragement of my Phorum friends, Spiritual Directors, Secular Franciscan Community, friends especially my widow friends; I am now making this public. Please see my Web Blog; Familia Jacopa at: [/size][/size][/font][/color]

<a href="http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">[color="#444433"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/[/size][/size][/font][/color] [color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]or contact me at: [/size][/size][/font][/color][email="familiajacopa@yahoo.com"][color="#444433"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]familiajacopa@yahoo.com[/size][/size][/font][/color][/email]

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]This family is for widows and [/size][/size][/font][/color][url="http://forums.catholic.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=716798#"][color="#444433"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]single women[/size][/size][/font][/color][/url] [color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]of all ages. There are two communities; Familia Jacopa and Sororum Jacopa (Sisters of Jacopa). [/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]The Familia Jacopa will have dual formation in the Secular Franciscan Order and with the community (FJ). Women can either live in Steubenville in community at the house/convent or in their own homes. Members could also live elsewhere and receive formation. [/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]The Sororum Jacopa will be born out of the Familia Jacopa and proposes to become a religious community, Franciscan TOR.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]My directors have told me to start living the life, make it public to invite inquirers and to continue writing the Constitutions and other needed materials. I hope to have an appointment to present this to the Bishop of Steubenville within a few months. [/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=1]Pax et Bonum, Kathleen Marshall, ofs[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]BREAKING NEWS! Familia Jacopa (Family of Jacopa) is a new Catholic Franciscan family forming in Steubenville, Ohio, U.S.A.. Thanks to all of the encouragement of my Forum friends, Spiritual Directors, Secular Franciscan Community, friends especially my widow friends; I am now making this public. Please see my Web Blog; Familia Jacopa at: [/size][/font][/color]

<a href="http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">[color="#444433"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/[/size][/font][/color][color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][/color][color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]or contact me at: [/size][/font][/color][email="familiajacopa@yahoo.com"][color="#444433"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]familiajacopa@yahoo.com[/size][/font][/color][/email]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]This family is for widows and [/size][/font][/color][url="http://forums.catholic.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=716798#"][color="#444433"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]single women[/size][/font][/color][/url][color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][/color][color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]of all ages. There are two communities; Familia Jacopa and Sororum Jacopa (Sisters of Jacopa). [/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]The Familia Jacopa will have dual formation in the Secular Franciscan Order and with the community (FJ). Women can either live in Steubenville in community at the house/convent or in their own homes. Members could also live elsewhere and receive formation. [/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]The Sororum Jacopa will be born out of the Familia Jacopa and proposes to become a religious community, Franciscan TOR.[/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]My directors have told me to start living the life, make it public to invite inquirers and to continue writing the Constitutions and other needed materials. I hope to have an appointment to present this to the Bishop of Steubenville within a few months. [/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="3"]Pax et Bonum, Kathleen Marshall, ofs[/size][/font][/color][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]

[quote name='Kathleen777' timestamp='1351207386' post='2497723']
[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]BREAKING NEWS! Familia Jacopa (Family of Jacopa) is a new Catholic Franciscan family forming in Steubenville, Ohio, U.S.A.. Thanks to all of the encouragement of my Forum friends, Spiritual Directors, Secular Franciscan Community, friends especially my widow friends; I am now making this public. Please see my Web Blog; Familia Jacopa at: [/size][/font][/color]

<a href="[url="http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/"]http://familiajacopa...wordpress.com/"[/url] target="_blank">[color=#444433][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][url="http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/"]http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/[/url][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]or contact me at: [/size][/font][/color][email="familiajacopa@yahoo.com"][color=#444433][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]familiajacopa@yahoo.com[/size][/font][/color][/email]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]This family is for widows and [/size][/font][/color][url="http://forums.catholic.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=716798#"][color=#444433][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]single women[/size][/font][/color][/url][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]of all ages. There are two communities; Familia Jacopa and Sororum Jacopa (Sisters of Jacopa). [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]The Familia Jacopa will have dual formation in the Secular Franciscan Order and with the community (FJ). Women can either live in Steubenville in community at the house/convent or in their own homes. Members could also live elsewhere and receive formation. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]The Sororum Jacopa will be born out of the Familia Jacopa and proposes to become a religious community, Franciscan TOR.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]My directors have told me to start living the life, make it public to invite inquirers and to continue writing the Constitutions and other needed materials. I hope to have an appointment to present this to the Bishop of Steubenville within a few months. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]Pax et Bonum, Kathleen Marshall, ofs[/size][/font][/color][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font]
[/quote]

Thank you for making this public Kathleen! I am sure it will bring a lot of joy to very many people. God bless this new family.

• 3 weeks later...

New posting today on the Familia Jacopa blog:

http://familiajacopa.wordpress.com/

New communities forming for older vocations of women. Please read and comment!

Pax et Bonum,
Kathleen Marshall, ofs

Best wishes with your project. My two Franciscan friends call me "Brother Jacopa" for fun, so I smiled to see the name.

How will the community do formation btw? Traditional postulancy etc???

• 6 years later...

I would absolutely love to have a community to join since becoming a widow. My children are grown and living their own lives. I am in reasonably good health, devoted to prayer life already, and to be able to share this with other women would be my dream come true.

• 5 months later...
Jamie Steele

I am a single 65 year old woman, who has grown children and young grandchildren. I have been unmarried for many years. I extremely healthy and energetic, and am often taken for 20 years my junior. I am able bodied and fit to continue in a secular career path, though this is not my desire. I would very much be interested in this lifestyle and have often considered trying to incorporate or plan and initiate a Christian community in a like fashion that you have described. I do know from speaking with others, that there is interest. I am unaware of true options of this sort and/or how to reach out to appropriate communities that are already practicing or are considering practicing the above mentioned. Please advise if there is a networking system or information that would be helpful to pursue a community of spiritual women dedicated to God and others. Thank you. 

The Visitation nuns in Mobile, Alabama have accepted a number of mature vocations in recent years. I don't know much about them - just what I can see on their web pages. I know nothing about your own spirituality or that kind of thing. They may not be a good fit for you, but ya' never know!

Here's a link to their Recent Activities. Scroll down - way, way down! - to see photos of the vow ceremonies, including a paragraph or two about each woman. http://visitationmonasterymobile.org/Activities.htm