An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting For A 3rd Party Is Voting For Obama.

Freedom

You can deny it all you want, but reality is that it's hypocritical to vote for a 3rd party when you know quite well it's a hopeless vote. You want Obama to win, vote for the 3rd party period.

Groo the Wanderer

easy analysis:

1. either Romney or Obama WILL win the election
2. a vote for neither is the same as a vote for Obama
3. neither is truly pro life, but Romney is closer, hence an improvement
4. SO WHY THE FLOOPY WOULD YOU THROW AWAY A CHANCE AT EVEN A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT BY VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW CANNOT WIN??!?!

that's like not praying in front of the abortion clinic because you might only save 1 life out of the 50 that day. save the 1 when you can for pete's sakes!

REALLY PHOLKS!?!?!?!

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351044900' post='2496685']
easy analysis:

1. either Romney or Obama WILL win the election
2. a vote for neither is the same as a vote for Obama
3. neither is truly pro life, but Romney is closer, hence an improvement
4. SO WHY THE FLOOPY WOULD YOU THROW AWAY A CHANCE AT EVEN A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT BY VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW CANNOT WIN??!?!

that's like not praying in front of the abortion clinic because you might only save 1 life out of the 50 that day. save the 1 when you can for pete's sakes!

REALLY PHOLKS!?!?!?!
[/quote]

Isn't that the truth, I couldn't have said it better!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351044843' post='2496684']
Catholic moral philosophy says otherwise.
[/quote]you meant to say your version of Catholic moral philosophy.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351044843' post='2496684']
Catholic moral philosophy says otherwise.
[/quote]

Who are all the Catholic Bishops suing, huh?

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1351045722' post='2496705']

Who are all the Catholic Bishops suing, huh?
[/quote]
Excellent non sequitur. You can be a politician yet.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351045894' post='2496710']
[/quote]
MHMMM

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1351044688' post='2496681']
I do sincerely hope you are trolling.
[/quote]

Jesus Christ Himself was a Revolutionary.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1351046094' post='2496714']
can one have a pro sequitur? just askin...
[/quote]
I will ask my logic professor and get back to you. :|

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351045894' post='2496710']
[/quote]

Thank God I don't know what you mean.

[b]Q. What if none of the candidates are completely pro-life?[/b]

As Pope John Paul II explains in his encyclical, Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), “…when it is not possible to overturn or completely abrogate a pro-abortion law, an elected official, whose absolute personal opposition to procured abortion was well known, could licitly support proposals aimed at limiting the harm done by such a law and at lessening its negative consequences at the level of general opinion and morality. This does not in fact represent an illicit cooperation with an unjust law, but rather a legitimate and proper attempt to limit its evil aspects.” Logically, it follows from these words of the Pope that a voter may likewise vote for that candidate who will most likely limit the evils of abortion or any other moral evil at issue.

[b]Q. What if one leading candidate is anti-abortion except in the cases of rape or incest, another leading candidate is completely pro-abortion, and a trailing candidate, not likely to win, is completely anti-abortion. Would I be obliged to vote for the candidate not likely to win?[/b]

In such a case, the Catholic voter may clearly choose to vote for the candidate not likely to win. In addition, the Catholic voter may assess that voting for that candidate might only benefit the completely pro-abortion candidate, and, precisely for the purpose of curtailing the evil of abortion, decide to vote for the leading candidate that is anti-abortion but not perfectly so. This decision would be in keeping with the words of the Pope quoted in the previous question.

[b]Q. What if all the candidates from whom I have to choose are pro-abortion? Do I have to abstain from voting at all? What do I do?[/b]

Obviously, one of these candidates is going to win the election. Thus, in this dilemma, you should do your best to judge which candidate would do the least moral harm. However, you should not place a candidate who is pro-capital punishment (and anti-abortion) in the same moral category as a candidate who is pro-abortion. Faced with such a set of candidates, there would be no moral dilemma, and the clear moral obligation would be to vote for the candidate who is pro-capital punishment, not necessarily because he is pro-capital punishment, but because he is anti-abortion.

[b]- Fr. Stephen F. Torraco, PhD[/b]