An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Do Netflix series count on here? If so, I watched "The Slap", which was an Australian mini-series based on a bestselling book of the same name. It had way too much gratuitous sex in it, but otherwise it was really interesting.

PhuturePriest

The King's Speech

It was a gripping film, and the acting was top-notch!

​One of my absolute favorite films. As a stammerer, I must say Colin Firth perfectly mimicked what stammering really is, and he perfectly expressed the emotional side of stammering, which so often goes unknown and unspoken.

I have the misfortune of just having watched Interstellar. Talk about the most disappointing ending to a movie I have ever seen. The concept in itself was great, but they tried to make it really complicated and clever at the end, which they simply failed at. Complication and cleverness must happen naturally. If you force it, it simply becomes complicated for the sake of complication, and all the cleverness of it is lost in translation. I give the first two hours a 4/5, and I'll give the last hour a 5/5 if the director will give me three hours of my life back. Until then, I give it a solid 1/5.

Overall: 2/5. Do not watch this movie. I would pay people not to watch it, to be honest.

Edited by PhuturePriest

Not The Philosopher

​One of my absolute favorite films. As a stammerer, I must say Colin Firth perfectly mimicked what stammering really is, and he perfectly expressed the emotional side of stammering, which so often goes unknown and unspoken.

I have the misfortune of just having watched Interstellar. Talk about the most disappointing ending to a movie I have ever seen. The concept in itself was great, but they tried to make it really complicated and clever at the end, which they simply failed at. Complication and cleverness must happen naturally. If you force it, it simply becomes complicated for the sake of complication, and all the cleverness of it is lost in translation. I give the first two hours a 4/5, and I'll give the last hour a 5/5 if the director will give me three hours of my life back. Until then, I give it a solid 1/5.

Overall: 2/5. Do not watch this movie. I would pay people not to watch it, to be honest.

​I disagree with you: https://pretentiouslatintitle.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/interstellar-intentionality-etc/

Not A Mallard

Return of the Jedi - Finally showed it to a couple of friends after I showed them A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back a few months ago. They liked it. Some of the creature design is ridiculous, but I still find it a satisfying ending to the trilogy. I'll never show them the prequels.

Edited by Not A Mallard

Not The Philosopher

​Jeremy Jahns disagrees with you:

The "ghost" was pretty obvious, indeed. Interstellar's definitely not Citizen Kane, or Citizen Kane 2: Electric Boogaloo, but I still think it's pretty razzle dazzle.

Return of the Jedi - Finally showed it to a couple of friends after I showed them A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back a few months ago. They liked it. Some of the creature design is ridiculous, but I still find it a satisfying ending to the trilogy. I'll never show them the prequels.

​A wasted opportunity to have a Super Mega Death Star. Instead we got Death Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Not A Mallard

A wasted opportunity to have a Super Mega Death Star. Instead we got Death Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

​And it doesn't really make sense how they were able to build a fully operational Death Star in such a short period of time.

Not A Mallard

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

No matter how I feel about J.J. Abrams's Star Trek movies, there's no way that Episode VII can end up that boring.

Not A Mallard

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Well, there are some great elements, but there are some ridiculous elements like...