An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Not The Philosopher

Castle in the Sky.

I watched some of this when I was a teenager, and it didn't seem to make much of an impression on me. This is weird, as, in watching it now, this is pretty much the most NTP movie I've yet seen. Instant favourite.

NadaTeTurbe

Castle in the Sky.

I watched some of this when I was a teenager, and it didn't seem to make much of an impression on me. This is weird, as, in watching it now, this is pretty much the most NTP movie I've yet seen. Instant favourite.

It's my favorite Miyazaki. I love how fresh it is, the heroes, and the music. 

Not A Mallard

The Little Mermaid (1989)

Great music, but questionable in ways; Ariel seems hyper-sexualized to me, and the message is basically that all a girl needs is looks and a great singing voice in order to marry a guy whom she just met.

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Despite a couple of silly plot holes, the music is once again excellent, and it's overall better than The Little Mermaid with more emotional resonance and more realistic character development.

Not A Mallard

The Terminator (1984)

A morbid but life-affirming thriller.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

The first half is very cynical, where pretty much every character is foul-mouthed and unlikable, but then they begin to develop in the second half, and the the film regains its humanity.

HopefulHeart

Odd Man Out, with James Mason. A bleak but thought-provoking drama about a Irish nationalist who's trying to escape the police. It touches on concepts of faith and charity.

Kiss Me Deadly, a mystery/film noir from the 50s. Very engrossing, though the main character's morals left much to be desired. The story took a turn I was not expecting, leading to a quite unusual ending.

Interstellar… it was kind of better than Inception, in that it had more  human, feeling, and emotionally charged characters. 

Lawless… it's available on Netflix,  I would recommend looking at the content advisory on Imdb 1st, it's kind of a prohibition era gangster type of movie… engaging story.

Metropolis…  didn't get to watch the last 30 min. yet.

Not A Mallard

Metropolis…  didn't get to watch the last 30 min. yet.

The 1927 restored version? It blew me away. The last thirty minutes are more intense than most of today's special-effects blockbusters.

Edited by Not A Mallard