An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Not The Philosopher

It turns out that I still like Mary Poppins as much as I did as a child.

Edited by Not The Philosopher

AveMariaPurissima

Just got done watching "Despicable Me."  Believe it or not, I hadn't seen it yet!

Not The Philosopher

2001: A Space Odyssey

File this one under, "Watched so many times I could probably storyboard it for you."

A Matter of Faith

It's an evangelical ripoff of God's Not Dead with a biology prof instead of a philosophy one.  Wooden acting, poor writing, and you can tell it's written by someone who lives in their own Evangelical sub-cultural bubble with such lines as "He's an evolutionist!" and the utter shock evolution is taught in a university biology class.

truthfinder

A Matter of Faith

It's an evangelical ripoff of God's Not Dead with a biology prof instead of a philosophy one.  Wooden acting, poor writing, and you can tell it's written by someone who lives in their own Evangelical sub-cultural bubble with such lines as "He's an evolutionist!" and the utter shock evolution is taught in a university biology class.

Well, definitely won't be watching it.   :wave: It's been a while; glad to see you on here again.

Well, definitely won't be watching it.   :wave: It's been a while; glad to see you on here again.

Thanks!  Mostly settled after the move across country here!  :wave:  And A Matter of Faith is strangely addicting really; watched it twice trying to find redeeming qualities...and didn't.

Ant Man.  Marvel managed to strike the proper balance between humor, drama, and action with this one.  Michael Pena steals the show though, with his wacky yet super competent character.

truthfinder

The Nun (2013) - alright, upfront, this is not a movie for minors, sensitive consciences, or those struggling with purity.  There: I said it. It a dramatization of Denis Diderot's La Religieuse, and thus can be considered an anti-convent/anti-clerical piece.  That being said, I was fearing something far worse.  It's in-between The Nun's Story and The Magdalene Sisters/Maria Monk.  It's absolutely beautiful cinematography, and while some of the nuns are portrayed as either sadistic control freaks or lesbians (at this point you had to expect it, didn't you?), I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the men (being primarily clergy of varying ranks) were actually portrayed in a sympathetic, although sometimes powerless, light.  Also, as far the main character goes, despite the things which happen to her, she doesn't lose faith - it's not a sappy portrayal of a prayer life, but a normal turning towards God in all life's difficulties.  It was really subtle and still is dawning on me how much of it there is. 

Moral of the story: don't force women into convents, convents are not an escape for your problems, and psychological testing of today is probably a good thing, at least in a minimal form. 

Not The Philosopher

It turns out that I like Fantasia even more than I did as a kid. This is still one of the best things Disney has done. The only thing which has depreciated for me is the performance of the orchestra, which is kinda uninspired to my classical aficionado ears.

It's a shame that they didn't make the followup when Leonard Bernstein was still alive. If there ever was a director who was made for this sort of project, it'd be him.

Not A Mallard

Mission: Impossible - III (2006)

I want to like it more, but it feels too much like 24.

Jurassic World.   Cheesy, a bit over the top, but good fun for a $5 showing.  Also didn't get the whole anger I had read about online at it being "anti-feminist".  Female main character tracks down her nephews through a jungle filled with giant carnivorous dinosaurs, slams a pteradon in the head with a gun and shoots it three times, runs raptors off the road with an ambulance, and then uses herself to lure a T-Rex into a giant fight with a genetic abomination...and you're telling me she's not a strong person?