An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

On 2/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, DominicanHeart said:

Did anyone see La La Land?

yes it is a decent little film. lighthearted and enjoyable. lots of great jazz music. 

I saw Ben Hur last thursday. the 2016 version is much different than the 1959 version. Juda and Messala are brothers this time. Messala has a backstory and is less malevolent. Jesus is much more talkative in this version, although the back of his head in 1959 was very eloquent! Ilderim is a darker and far more cynical character this time around, a departure from the Wise Old Man that Morgan Freeman has played ince Shawshank Redemption. its good but not as good as the 1959 version.. its an action movie not an epic movie

• 6 months later...
Not A Mallard

Anastasia (1997)

First time watching. I actually really enjoyed it except for the out-of-place villain and the clunky last few minutes.

I watched La La Land on a plane. Wasn't expecting to like it but I did! Also, I luuuurve John Legend's voice.

Also, this was my 1,000th post! 

Edited by chrysostom

• 3 weeks later...

Most of this is stuff I've come across on Netflix:

Dead Poets Society (1989) - It took a while for the story to grab me, and even then, I wasn't a fan of it.

The Iron Giant (1999) - Rediscovered it last year by finding it cheap on DVD at Walmart; thank God it turned out to be an "I can appreciate it more now than I could as a kid" movie.

Carrie Pilby (2016) - It engaged me throughout due to how much I related to the main character, but it has problems that prevent me from recommending it.

The Road to El Dorado (2000) - Sadly, unlike The Iron Giant, I'm now glad that I often forget about this one.

風の谷のナウシカ

(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) (Studio Ghibli) 1984

Mankind has destroyed the earth.  Poisoned it.  Tries to escape from his own destruction.  Insects attack when man steps out of bounds.  Princess Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind comes to the rescue when Ohms threaten her village.  

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoy other Studio Ghibli films...

nausicaa.JPG

Beautiful Fantastic

2017 PG Rated PG

When her landlord forces librarian and aspiring author Bella Brown to clean up her overgrown garden, she meets grumpy elderly neighbor Alfie Stephenson, who's an avid horticulturalist -- and an unlikely friendship is born.

Cast: Jessica Brown

Like :)

Brubaker, old Robert Redford movie about a reform prison warden who goes undercover as an inmate and sees what it's really like.

Not A Mallard

Minority Report (2002) - First viewing; pretty good.

Jurassic Park (1993) - Millionth viewing; still good.

Not A Mallard

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - First viewing; it was freaking devastating.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - Got the 90s VHS English dub working for the first time in years; not the best voice acting, but massive nostalgia attack.

• 2 weeks later...
Not A Mallard

The Way Back (2010) - Sometimes engaging WWII-based survival story with serious pacing issues.

My Life as a Zucchini (2016) - Eye-opening claymation French film about a group of orphans with abusive pasts and the bonds that they share.

Edward Scissorhands (1990) - I'm not sure why I wanted to rent this one since I'm not a fan of Tim Burton; needless to say, it didn't win me over to his weirdness.

Before Sunrise (1995) - I heard it was one of the greatest romance movies; it was...alright.

Beauty and the Beast (1991) - Certainly the best of the Disney Renaissance; not my favorite Disney movie though.

Not A Mallard

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Best popcorn movie in recent years (since The Avengers).

The Peanuts Movie (2015) - First time since I saw it in theaters; made me realize how much of an empty nostalgia trip it is.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - It's impressive, but I'm not a big fan of it.